The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Water intrusion from trim tab mounting?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the boats have these tab screws set in properly--and that goes for almost all boats built in production lines. In some of the hulls, there is a void/or area filled mostly with solid glass right where the transom core and the bottom core meet--and thus there is little core in the area of the tab screws.

Fortunately the moisture does not spread a long distance--as it can from screws or bolt holes which are higher up--or even worse a non sealed cap. (For example many of the 80's era Grady Whites didn't have proper sealing of the top of the transom, which in many boats is where the hull to deck joint is. Consequently there is a very high percent of these boats which have rot in the entire transom.

Good on the repair, and the transom saver! Great reminder for all of us.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:

If you wonder in the back of your mind whether something on your transom was installed properly, stop wondering right now and just pull some screws.

I couldn't have said it better. Sounds like you did the right thing and now you know what's in there Thumbs Up No more wondering!

I was surprised to see that, for example, the Bennett trim tab instructions said something like "dip the [tapping] screws in epoxy and then screw them into the transom." I think Bennett is a great company, with a good product and stellar customer service, but that is just not cool as a way to install something below the waterline on a cored transom, in my opinion. I did contact them and say something, as I didn't think it was up to the rest of their "fantasticness."

To be fair though, they are not alone and it's just one example, which I used because I read those instructions prior to installing my trim tabs (I ignored that part and did it a different way).. In fact, I have found that most things on most production boats (including dealer prep items and aftermarket installations) are installed with a range of treatments that goes from nothing to a glob of caulk. I'm not comfortable with that level of protection on a cored part of the boat (especially beneath the waterline).

I probably sound like a broken record on this topic, but I hate fixing wet core (and I hate seeing boats get past the "viable" point when it's a case of folks paying someone else to make repairs and the labor is just too much so they get put out to pasture - this is something I've seen more on larger sailboats, not C-Dorys).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: