View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinDU

City/Region: Terrace
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Otter
Photos: Sea Otter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Wallas 85D/270 Problem Reply with quote

I just got my boat out of winter storage and hooked up the fused wire to the battery to the NEGATIVE terminal. Could I have damaged anything? The stove does not run.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch. Did you complete the circuit backwards? Ie pos to neg neg to positive? If you did that, you may have issues. If all you did was hook the pos to neg and then stopped no problem. No circuit. Was there arcing, sparks, boiling noises etc smoke , bad things happening? If not you may just have popped circuits, burned fuses or wires near the battery. Was the main switch off? If so you should be limited to damage to any wires directly on the battery. Check for burned insulation especially to bilge pump and main leads and fuses on your motor. Your stove likely goes direct to the battery and hopefully popped the fuse. It's possible to cook electronics if the fuse doesn't snap. It's there to protect the wire not the stove. I would leave the battery selector switch off until you have checked all wires, fuses and breakers for damage. Take that battery in for a check too. It may have been damaged. Once all checked carefully install the battery (likely a new one) and bring systems on line one at a time to see if anything else is cooked. You are not the first to have done this. Best of luck
George
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you did short the battery (or any other circuit for that matter), you are unlikely to have caused damage since nearly all circuits are fused. As long as the fuse amperage rating is proper for that circuit's wire gauge, the only thing that should have occurred is a blown fuse. Indeed, in a 100% short situation like yours, even if the fuse amperage rating was too high for the wire, whatever sized fuse (within reason) should have blown long before the "too small" wire could have heated up.

Besides, if you connected the positive wire (fused and normally red) to the negative battery terminal, nothing would have happened.....just as ghone says.

The stove problem may be nothing more than a blown fuse.
KevinDU

City/Region: Terrace
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Sea Otter
Photos: Sea Otter
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, guys. Found out the fused wire is actually for the bilge pump (LOL) but the Wallas still doesn't start up. I am getting a double flashing yellow light every 2 seconds. The Wallas tech figured I need a new fan (the small, black unit). I took it out and hooked it up directly to a 12V battery and it runs. However, the Wallas tech said that the resistance of the fan may have changed and he's sending me a new one for 160 bucks! If this doesn't work I have to send the entire stove out to be serviced. BTW, the 5A and 15A fuses on the PCB are okay.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wallas in general does not like low voltage or fluctuations in voltage. Mine starts and runs fine on 12.4VDC, Below that, I'd have the outboards running to take advantage of the alternator output.

The 12VDC battery you hooked up to may have had a higher charge than the one you were trying to run off on the boat.

The blinking, flashing codes the lights do..... Scan Marine tech support is good at figuring those out.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: