View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: CDS 16 on Lake Michigan Reply with quote

My boat: OPA has been performing marvelously on L. Michigan the past 2014 season. I've rigged it quite well for fishing salmonids and OPA is handling the lake extremely well. I'm not silly enough to go out on the lake blind. I check buoy data, NOAA, coast guard recommendations, and historical data before launching. OPA takes on four footers very comfortably and provides a stable fishing platform. It's been a pleasure being out on the big water on OPA. We fish three quite comfortably and can run 9 rods: downriggers, dipsys, planers with copper, etc. it's all good out on the big water. Even better when the rod start going off!!!

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
MilesandMiles

State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 1992
Vessel Name: MilesandMiles
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fish Lake Superior, and use to have a 16 angler, it was a really fun boat to have. I even slept on it a few times.

I hope to get out to the Beaver Island chain this summer, in Northern Lake Michigan.

I looked at your pictures, thats a great set up you have--good work! It looks like you really know what you're doing out there. 16's make great solo fishing boats that also keep you dry.

More and more cdorys are showing up in the great lakes the past few years.
dgeorges

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool Miles. Thanks for your encouraging words. The smaller CD 16's can be very efficient platforms as you have everything at your disposal and tend to focus on the few rods that you can put out. Everything is within easy reach. I'm super envious of the larger CD's but we all know their opportunities AND constraints. Good luck to you way up North and many safe returns to port ...
Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: CDS 16 on Lake Michigan Reply with quote

dgeorges wrote:
My boat: OPA has been performing marvelously on L. Michigan the past 2014 season. I've rigged it quite well for fishing salmonids and OPA is handling the lake extremely well. I'm not silly enough to go out on the lake blind. I check buoy data, NOAA, coast guard recommendations, and historical data before launching. OPA takes on four footers very comfortably and provides a stable fishing platform. It's been a pleasure being out on the big water on OPA. We fish three quite comfortably and can run 9 rods: downriggers, dipsys, planers with copper, etc. it's all good out on the big water. Even better when the rod start going off!!!

OPA 4!! footers---You are a very stout boater to be sure. I have been caught in 3-going to the odd 4 footer in my 16' Angler- Blueback. And this is a very uncomfortable situation for me. I think somebody said our Dory's can take more than we can and in my case at least I will second that. Or maybe its because I am 80 this year LOL. As a young man I was a Merchant Mariner on the westcoast, summer and winter weather for 8 years. So possibly knowing how fast squalls and gale force winds and their resulting waves can spring up I have a justifiable fear factor here. I have seen fisher folk heading out of my home port of French Creek into the Strait of Georgia in open 12-14 foot tin boats when I am coming back into the harbour because of a building seas and wind warnings and my wife and I just shake our heads and say --will they be on the 6.00 news as the next tragic boating accident? Somehow though most seen to survive.

3-Work at rebuilding the endangered runs of salmonids on the West Coast
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Brand rod holders are those that you have mounted on the roof of OPA!? Looks like a nice setup.
dgeorges

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Blueback,
I lived in CA for 33 years and fished out of Bodega Bay for a while. I'm no stranger to 15 ft swells and wind waves on top of them. You and I both know what it's like to roll over those big ones and be down in a troff ready to run the next one! It's all about the spacing of the peaks, right? BUT not in a CD 16!!! Out on the Pacific I had a really wide nice 18 ft cuddy cabin that was a pretty incredible boat and one of my crew was a graduate of the Maritime Academy near San Francisco. That dude knew how to run a boat in big water, and taught us how to watch that big Pacific water and swore us to the number one protocol that I never forgot: "never turn your back on the sea". So, one driving and two guys fishing. I still use that No 1 protocol to this day - be it a Lake or the Gulf of Mexico. Thanks for the post, Blueback and many safe returns back to port for you and your lovely bride.
dgeorges

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey dr:
The rocket launcher type rod holders are made by Scotty and fit into a channel that bolts down directly to the top of the cabin. The holders actually adjust to any angle and are removable for storage. If you take a close look at the photo on my photos page you'll see the black channel that the holders fit into. the system is very versatile and costs about $35 per rod holder - including the holder, and gizmo that attaches to the channel.

Try this link for more info: http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/rod-holders/RocketLauncher.htm

Here's a link to the slide channels that the rocket launchers fit into: http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/rod-holders/trackadaptor.htm#sideslidetrackadapter

However, having said all that, your CD has a super sexy rod holder set up. Why would you change? I'm so jealous of the clean lines of everything you've done with your CD! BRAVO.

Good luck and many safe returns back to port for you and your crew...
Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgeorges wrote:
Hey Blueback,
I lived in CA for 33 years and fished out of Bodega Bay for a while. I'm no stranger to 15 ft swells and wind waves on top of them. You and I both know what it's like to roll over those big ones and be down in a troff ready to run the next one! It's all about the spacing of the peaks, right? BUT not in a CD 16!!! Out on the Pacific I had a really wide nice 18 ft cuddy cabin that was a pretty incredible boat and one of my crew was a graduate of the Maritime Academy near San Francisco. That dude knew how to run a boat in big water, and taught us how to watch that big Pacific water and swore us to the number one protocol that I never forgot: "never turn your back on the sea". So, one driving and two guys fishing. I still use that No 1 protocol to this day - be it a Lake or the Gulf of Mexico. Thanks for the post, Blueback and many safe returns back to port for you and your lovely bride.

What a nice post thank you kind Sir. Your clairvoyant too, as my first mate is still my bride after 5 years. She is a great sailor and trusts my judgement and I never want to let her down.
Ah yes, the periodicity of the waves is of course a key component as you know. On the open Pacific, or areas like Barkley sound I have been comfortable in 10 -15' swells, without wind on top, on our 70 ft Tug (18" freeboard, aft). I have seen Indians fishing in 20' dugout canoes in those swells too, in the 1950 and 60s. The waves were about 10 secs apart without combers. Whereas Georgia Strait seems to run about 4-6 secs apart and whitecaps develop very quickly in a gathering wind to 20-25kns. This can become extremely dangerous if strong tidal currents apposing the wind direction. When that happens the periodicity shortens to about 4 secs and with an increase in wind speed the waves start building like hay stacks.
When your conning a 16 ' Dory you have to be very sea savvy on big water--IMO
Cheers
Geoff
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, having said all that, your CD has a super sexy rod holder set up. Why would you change? I'm so jealous of the clean lines of everything you've done with your CD! BRAVO

Thanks dgeoges. I wouldn't be changing the rocket launchers, But would like to have some adjustable holders like those on the gunwales or transom rather than the fixed mount that I currently have. They clamped to the bar on the splashwell, but could not keep them secure so I built a plug for the gap in the splashwell that also holds the rod holders from spinninig on the bar. a good adjustable rod holder would be better. Thanks for the link. Your Boat looks very efficent. Gotta love that 12lb Brown!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: