The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wallas Stove / Heater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrexj71860

City/Region: Montgomery
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Horse
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Wallas Stove / Heater Reply with quote

Hello C-Brats,

I'm pleased to report that I am becoming more familar with my C-Dory 22 and my wife and I love the boat.

I am however baffled by the behavior of my Wallas 95D stove/heater. My boat sat for over a year before I purchased her in September of 2014. As the weather got cooler the time came to try out the heater. After a couple of restarts the heater fired up and worked perfectly. It also worked great on the next two outings. Then it just stopped!

I had the boat out today on Lake Conroe. 48 degrees and a nice 10 knot north wind had me wishing for heat. I fired up the stove and it works great with both burners getting very hot. I know the stove is getting fuel and working.

I cannot get the heater to work. I've followed the instructions to a tee. They are so simple that there is not much you can do wrong. I turn on the heater, wait about 2 to 3 minutes and then the red light starts to blink indicating I need to try again.

Any help from you experienced C-Dory folks would be much appreciated.

Mike Johnson
C-Dory 22 #47
C-Horse

williwaw

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first guess would be that it isn't getting enough voltage on start-up. The stoves are very sensitive on start-up because they need to heat a glow plug and low voltage would cause too much amperage. There are other causes of course.

My suggestion would be to call Scan Marine in Seattle (888-606-6665) straight away. They're very helpful and will spend the time it takes to walk you through the situation.

You might also find this helpful: http://www.scanmarineusa.com/docs/pdf/techtalk_Installation_StartUp_Wallas_85D.pdf
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Welcome and glad you are getting to like your boat.

If you don't have instructions for your Wallas, I would contact Scan Marine, or their web site and get them to start with. Then if that doesn't help call them. They are very service/client oriented and helpful.

I don't know the ;light signals for the 95D (yours) but for mine, And I don't remember that either for sure, but I start it on high, let it run that way for a while, like 15 min at least, and then adjust it down to where you want to run it at. Before turning it off, turn it back up to high and run it there again for about 15 min before turning it off. I think the red light blinks as it is running to cool off, and as it it warming up. I believe it is a signal that it needs to stay on high. That has worked for me. I don't use the Wallas very often, (maybe 5-6 times a year.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some things, per Scan Marine

If the stove overheats a thermostat, which is near the bottom of the stove, it will turn the stove off. You can tell if this is the case, because after the stove cools off it will restart without difficulty.

Another way to confirm this is to temporarily take the doors off the cabinet to improve ventilation, keeping the bottom of the stove, hence the thermostat, cooler. If this fixes things add ventilation to the cabinet.

Another temporary fix is to run the stove at less than its highest setting.

Anyway this has solved the problem for me. Also the lid must be in the down position with the lid-fan on unless you have pans on the burners.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Anyway this has solved the problem for me. Also the lid must be in the down position with the lid-fan on unless you have pans on the burners."

Good point to remember Embarassed Exclamation

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

mdoug

City/Region: Meredith
State or Province: NH
Vessel Name: Mikey
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Wallas Stove Reply with quote

I just leave my Wallas set on high all the time. Never a problem since 2005, when I bought the Mikey!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I AM not so sure about the not running the stove, (except with the lid down). It is not unusual to have one pot, on high, and nothing on the other burner, or one pot on very low and on the less hot of the two burners.

When were were in AK for a month, we used the stove as a heater much of the time, and put an "ECO" fan on the top, with the lid up. There is some advantage of this, as far as heat distribution as well as using less power.

It was not clear to me if Mike had let the stove come up to operating temp, before putting the lid down, into heater mode. I am sure that you know if there are X failed starts, you have to pull the fuse, to "reset" the "computer". Also some find that their stoves require more voltage than others. We have never had to start our outboard or run the generator, but I have heard of some who have had to boost the voltage before the stove lit properly. So I would be monitoring the battery voltage. It should be 12.6 volts.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
mdoug

City/Region: Meredith
State or Province: NH
Vessel Name: Mikey
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: Wallas Stove Reply with quote

I always have outboard started before firing up my Wallas. Also, I never turn off boat master switch until the fan stops.

I agree that low voltage may be an issue.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading this it appears the burners are getting hot, but the FAN is not blowing? Confused Or maybe I'm reading it wrong. I know the small switch which activates the fan could be broken. It's on the lid, lower right corner with the lid up. Nothing more than a small stainless wedge about 1/4" that stick out. When the lid is up, the springed switch pops out, stopping the fan.
mrexj71860

City/Region: Montgomery
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Horse
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. This weekend will be cold and wet. A perfect chance to try and fix the problem.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: