The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Raymarine EV 100 auto pilot
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGIDave

City/Region: St. George Island
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: Seadation - SOLD 09/2013
Photos: SeaDation
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Sounds like then really for now, if I get the EV-100, all I would really need is one backbone cable, and two tees. One for connection to my Garmin, and one for the autopilot. Unless I can just hook the one cable directly between my Garmin and any Autopilot for now while I don't have any other items to plug in to that network. I'll go check out the link. THanks again. Colby

I would recommend you consider the '5-way' connector. It has a backbone port on each end with 3 spur connections in between. I'ts much cheaper than 3 tees. A pecularity of SeatalkNG is that the cables are ALL FEMALE (on BOTH ends) which requires the Tees to be MALE on both ends...so you cant connect them to each other as with other brands of N2K...therefore you need a backbone cable between each Tee...adding further expense.

I started with an EV200 and a Garmin 740...now I've added a VHF radio with N2K connection for AIS...Again, that's a good example of how N2K simplifies everything. Most VHF radios require GPS signal for DSC; that was traditionally accomplished via NMEA 0183 - those blasted tiny, fragile wires. Now, with N2K, simply plug in the cable and BAM! you've got GPS to your radio AND (if it's an AIS receiving VHF) your AIS info goes to the chartplotter. It's almost magical.

My point is...plan on expanding. Oh, and I think you will need more than 2 Tees. My recollection is that the EV module (the heading sensor/compass piece) is connected via N2K. So, with the EV100 AP you would need to have spurs to the Garmin chartplotter, EV100 sensor, 12 VDC power is supplied via a spur, and (I THINK, but double check) the course computer connects via a spur. So that's potentially FOUR spurs for jsut the AP and chartplotter.

It seems confusing at first, but as you build your network it's not bad.

david
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Dave. I may just start by purchasing the EV-100, see what it comes with and doesn't, then start picking up the accessories. I already have a VHF with DSC and AIS, but run it thru the NMEA 183 system. Probably won't change that since it's hooked up and working! But somewhere down the road I've though about hooking up the Merc smartgauge system (Or whatever it's called) to my Garmin. Although haven't looked in depth enuf to know what the engine needs for connectors. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, thanks again for all the info. I'm about ready to pull the handle on purchasing the EV-100 along with the female cable, from Hodges Marine. (You are right, they are the cheapest from the places I've been looking.) My plan is to hook the autopilot up to my Garmin GPSMAP 840xs via the NMEA 2000 connections. Now my other thought is, I still have my older Garmin GPSMAP 541s that I use as a back up. It also has NMEA2000 access. I am thinking about hooking it into the loop as well. I know nothing about NMEA 2000 (Still have to read the documentation you linked me too, along with my Garmin documentation.) Will hooking the two Garmins together in that loop effect how either of them work? Would this allow the two Garmins to share data? Ie, I currently have my VHF hooked up to my 840 via NMEA 183 for the DSC and AIS data. If the two Garmin GPSMAPS are both hooked up in the 2000 loop, will the 541 be able to repeat the AIS and DSC data from the 840? Thanks. Colby
SGIDave

City/Region: St. George Island
Vessel Name: Seadation - SOLD 09/2013
Photos: SeaDation
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Colby

You should be able to connect both of the Garmons to the NMEA 2000 network. You will need (two) Ray Marine device net cables to do this. You probably already know, but you do not connect the devices directly to each other. You will need to construct a N2K backbone and each device is connected to the backbone.

I checked the raymarine site for the EV – 100 autopilot. It comes with a sort of starter kit for the N 2K network. My suggestion is to buy an extra five way connector. As I said above youWill need two Device net cables for the Garmons. You may also need a extra backbone cable to connect the 2 5-way connectors. Actual cable requirements will vary according to how you set the network up.

I don't know for sure how the two Garmin units will behave on the same network, however, I suspect they will share information and behave just fine. They should share transducer/sounder information as well as AIS.

David
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Dave. At this point, I'm still deciding if I really want the autopilot, but leaning towards it. (Kind of a big expense for a want vs. a need...) I got a reply from Garmin about how the two GPSMAP's would interact via NMEA 2000, and still trying to wrap my brain around that. Smile I'll copy and paste their reply to my question about putting both units on the 2000 network.:

Dear Colby Smith,
Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I'll be happy to help you.
The GPSMAP 541 is NMEA 2000 compatible as well and can be added to your
existing NMEA 2000 network (drop cable and t-connector).
When connected to the NMEA 2000 network both devices would receive data
that is sent using the NMEA 2000 protocol. It's not shared over the
Garmin marine network, because the 541 is not a network device.
So both devices can be set up using the NMEA 2000 network and see the
same data (AIS and DSC) from a NMEA 2000 compatible AIS/DSC. The same
can be said of NMEA 0183 protocol. If you wire the 541 using 0183
protocol, it will also receive the AIS and DSC data that you currently
receive with the 840xs.
If I didn't answer your question up to this point, on the last question,
"How would I access the other units data thru the unit I'm currently
looking at? " what specific data are you referring to?
With Best Regards,
Nicholas
Customer Care - Marine Team
Garmin International
913-397-8200
800-800-1020
913-440-8280 (fax) 6082
www.garmin.com
Additional solutions may be found at
http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/support/searchsupport

>> *Original Message ...*
>> From: mcs2442@gmail.com
>> To: product.support@garmin.com
>> Subject: Nmea 2000 Connections
>> Message:Hello. I have a GPSMAP 840xs that I am getting ready to hook
up to a RayMarine EV-100 autopilot via the NMEA2000 connection. I
currently have the 840 also hooked up to a VHF radio with DSC and AIS
via NMEA 183. I also have an older GPSMAP 541s that I use as backup. Can
I connect the 541 into the 2000 system as well? Will the 840 and 541
share data thru the 2000 connection? Data such as the AIS and DSC
information. How would I access the other units data thru the unit I'm
currently looking at? Thanks.

At this point it sounds like I will just do a second 183 hookup between my VHF and my older GPSMAP 541. (The VHF has enough wires on the 183 network to hook up both Plotters. However the second set I will use will not allow transmission of data from the 541 to the VHF. So only the GPSMAP 840xs can transmit data to the VHF.)

If I do get the autopilot, then I would hook up the GPSMAP 840xs to it via the 2000 network, and believe I would just need to add the one "drop" cable for that. If the GPSMAP 541 cannot transmit/transfer any route or waypoint data to the autopilot, then there is no need to hook it up to the network at this time. However, the other item I am looking at, if I end up with a 2000 network, is possibly hooking my Merc Smart Guage system into it. This opens up another can of worms with what do I need to do that. I know my engine, a Mercury 115 EFI 4-Stroke is capable of smart guage; I just don't know what it takes to connect it to my GSMAP's which both have pages for engine gauges. So much for my simple C-Dory. Mr. Green Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 541 which is now religated to just AIS use, thru NMEA 0183. No reason to go NMEA 2000 for the AIS. If you want to run your smart guages thru the 541 it should do that. It will require the Merc "Gateway" and you will connect that to the outboard, and then the NMEA 2000 backbone to the Smartcraft Gateway. I don't believe that you can send data from the 541 to the 840. Keep that for the charting and sounder.--or run the sounder on the 541. A problem is space on the small chart plotter, for the gauges and the AIS etc.

The 840 should work fine with the EVO---see some of Bill Biship's (Installors blog) he is very good, and has used the EVO with Garmin--may have to make your own cable, by splicing a RayMarine and Garmin together. (There is also a cable you can buy which will do this, but splicing the two is probably cheaper.
Because of the screen space, I finally ended up with a 10" a 7" and my old 5"-there is barely enough room on the dash of the 22 for these three--but it will handle a lot of data (Radar, sonar/down scan, chart ;Plotting, AIS and any other data. you may want.

It will be an interesting year, with the ray Marine EVO, the new Lowrance $1000 pillot and the latest Garmin "Reactor" pilot. I believe all of these are using the "5 axis" sensors--same as in the smart phones. I suspect that Garmin will have to drop their price for the pilot to be competative....

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob. Can you give me a link to that Bill Biship? Also, maybe a link to the "gateway" device you are talking about. As for connecting the RayMarine EVO-100 to the Garmin GPSMAP 840, if via the NMEA 2000 network, it's a $32 cable. IF the Mercury Gateway isn't too expensive, then eventually I'd like to add that in also. My use of the 541 is as a backup for navigation. I don't need everything going at once. Example. I don't run my radar unless I need radar. When I do need it, I'll either overlay it on the map, or I'll split the screen and make a separate "window" for the radar. The only time I'm really using the sounder in full mode is when fishing. Otherwise I just have the depth number showing in the "data" box. At times I may run the split screen in 3. Chart, Radar, Sonar. But that would be rare. The AIS I would leave on my 840. In this mode, I would run the instrument gauges on the 541. If the 840 ever went down, or I wanted to use the full screen for something else, I would switch the 541 up to Map. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well here goes. I ordered the autopilot and some stuff today. Think I'll start a new thread, EV-100 Installation, for anyone else looking now or in the future of going this route.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?p=274947#274947

Regarding the smart gauge stuff, I'll put those thoughts aside for now. That's another can of worms... Sad Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Bishop (sometimes subs for Panbo --Ben Ellison).

http://themarineinstallersrant.blogspot.com
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: