City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20dauntless wrote:
trip expecting long, maybe uncomfortable days underway, you'll be fine. Just don't push the weather too much, especially around Cape Caution and across Dixon Entrance.

I'll be heading up a month or so before you. Shoot me an email or PM right before you leave and I'll let you know if I find any changes.

Thanks Sam - we'll be in touch.

RE: long days. Funny thing is we cruised the San Juan's last year over a two week period and almost every day we'd be on the water for 10+ hours just cruising around. Looking forward to actually going someplace in those 10+ hours. We are sailboaters that don't want to sail. Plus we are Lake Michigan cruiser, having crossed the Lake a number of times, so we get the weather window issue.

Thanks again.

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attempted to attach the wonderful Inside Passage "Video" that I have on my desktop that I received from George and Penny aboard WANDERER. I was not on this trip with them and for sure it is my loss. Casey traveled portions of this trip with them as did Bill/El, and Chris. I have enjoyed traveling on the Cumberland with all of these crews...minus Casey. The error message I received after the download/upload time completed was something to the effect of No Program Mode Specified?

I'll send this message at it will make it then wait assistance from another one of my C-Brat family. It is truly a great viewing.

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Failed again.
But...the correct message this time was
No post mode specified

Or...it may be too large of a file for this?
Help if you can...or...it may be available on our site via another manner.

Interesting while watching it again... George and Penny put in some very long travel days....in both time and nautical miles. I think the first cruise they did on WANDERER was our trip on the Cumberland.... not sure of the year... will have to do a look see. Some great folks for sure.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref Wrangrel--things have changed a bit thru the years, but they always found space for our 46 footer--and then appologized for the 10 cents a foot charge! Folks there were always very accomidating.

Honah was also a place we had considered leaving our boat in the water during the winter. It has also charged, along with the zip line, and fake fishing town built for the Cruise ship terminal...by the point as you enter the harbor.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to argue with my good knowledgable friends, but 16 days should be ample time to go from Blaine to Ketchikan, even with some weather days - David McKibben on Anna Leigh and I on Daydream did it in 7 days, but we wers extremely lucky not to have any weather holdups. We cruised right around Cape Caution and crossed Dixon Entrance without any delays at all. But of course the weather could make a liar of me, and you will be guided by the weather as a prudent mariner!

The only thing is, there is a LOT to see on the Northern BC coast between Cape Caution and Prince Rupert, and it deserves a leisurely cruise. I had to go pedal to the metal because Patty was flying into Ketchikan and I needed to be there to meet her. I need to do this again so I can stop and smell the roses!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Jeff and Julie

City/Region: Juneau, AK
Vessel Name: Atka
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Juneau Reply with quote

Hello Robert. What a great time to be planning your trip. Shed off the winter blues and start thinking about boating! Though, we haven't had much winter here this year.
We live in Juneau so let us know if you need anything while you are here. We just live up the hill from the Auke Bay harbor.

Julie
BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Juneau Reply with quote

Jeff and Julie wrote:
Hello Robert. What a great time to be planning your trip. Shed off the winter blues and start thinking about boating! Though, we haven't had much winter here this year.
We live in Juneau so let us know if you need anything while you are here. We just live up the hill from the Auke Bay harbor.

Julie

Thanks Julie. We are getting excited to get on the water. Not only the cruising this year but to have the boat in Alaska for a number of years - just can't wait!

We just received news that we "won" permits to see the bears at Anan Creek this summer - so very excited to experience that.

Few more months...
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How things have changed! Our first year up there, we just arrived at Anan Creek. (There were black bears there, as I recollect, and a ranger. We did run into a bear on the trail. I did carry bear spray all of the them when out of the civilized areas. (I carried a side arm also).

Pack Creek is also very worth while getting a permit for. At some times in the past, you could enter the lottery 72 hours before you were to arrive. It was a bit more difficult with a sail boat, than a C Dory to make it down in that time--but easily can be done.

I believe we saw 38 different bears at Pack Creek. The closest I got to brown bears was not planed or in viewing places. A couple of times were a bit closer than I wanted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: