Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Anyone want to talk about jet boats? Reply with quote

I'm blessed to be living between the coolest marine habitats on earth, as well as the coolest river/wetland/delta on earth. My CD22 and I have the marine part handled, and we do sometimes sojourn onto the flats where jet boats rule, and we do *ok* out there. I'm happy when that shallow water gets nasty (and when it picks up it gets NASTY!), but am considering a jet boat for the flats, and to get to the ocean via rivers, as well as exploring the interior and other areas.

I do mostly jet boating at work, and regularly run through uninhabited remote areas, and have a great time. I am thinking about adding a good jet boat to the fleet and am wondering who has good experience here to offer me.

I've been a Sea Ark user, largely by inheriting a fleet of Sea Arks from my predecessor. I love the predator, and would generally go for an inboard jet over outboard (lots of tradeoffs, but I choose inboard) and have experience running merc optimax 200 sportjets only.

The merc sportjets have to go to Fairbanks for service, which is a lot of Time and money. So, I'm thinking about a sbc of some kind, maybe a 350/5.7. That will weigh more, and be harder to get off of stuck ground.

I also have an opportunity to buy an SJX, which is a pretty cool boat. Any experience out there with the super sport jons out there (These include Sea Ark Predator, SJX, JetCraft Extreme Shallow)

Any insights and experiences would be appreciated.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone want to talk about jet boats? Reply with quote

Kushtaka wrote:
I'm blessed to be living between the coolest marine habitats on earth, as well as the coolest river/wetland/delta on earth. My CD22 and I have the marine part handled, and we do sometimes sojourn onto the flats where jet boats rule, and we do *ok* out there. I'm happy when that shallow water gets nasty (and when it picks up it gets NASTY!), but am considering a jet boat for the flats, and to get to the ocean via rivers, as well as exploring the interior and other areas.

I do mostly jet boating at work, and regularly run through uninhabited remote areas, and have a great time. I am thinking about adding a good jet boat to the fleet and am wondering who has good experience here to offer me.

I've been a Sea Ark user, largely by inheriting a fleet of Sea Arks from my predecessor. I love the predator, and would generally go for an inboard jet over outboard (lots of tradeoffs, but I choose inboard) and have experience running merc optimax 200 sportjets only.

The merc sportjets have to go to Fairbanks for service, which is a lot of Time and money. So, I'm thinking about a sbc of some kind, maybe a 350/5.7. That will weigh more, and be harder to get off of stuck ground.

I also have an opportunity to buy an SJX, which is a pretty cool boat. Any experience out there with the super sport jons out there (These include Sea Ark Predator, SJX, JetCraft Extreme Shallow)

Any insights and experiences would be appreciated.

My only experience in jet boats is on a few guided steelhead trips. But the guides around here tend to go with somewhat smaller boats and engines than what you seem to be interested in. I can't help but think the primary reason is to keep the weight way down to allow for transit in really skinny water (skinny in depth and width). I'd talk to some of the local guides around there to see what they are running. Also, have you considered a jet drift boat. Hyde and Clackacraft both make such boats and they look like they might be an interesting category of boat for some of the rougher rivers.

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love jet boats for river fishing and duck hunting. I have a old valco 17ft with a 2008 merc 60/40 jet. It had a 71 johnson 60 hp when I bought it but it gave up the ghost.

I have ran other peoples boats for a number of years. 17ft north river with inboard, 14 ft alunm with outboard 40 hp merc, and my friends 26ft thunderjet with a big block v8 and inboard pump. That boat will run in the 60mph range in 1 ft of water. Jets open up so much more fishing and hunting opportunity for me. on top of that I just love the simplicity of running a open small boat with just a tiller. No electronics or gauges, just your eyes and what you feel in your feet and hands.

I have seen the sjx on video and that is one tough boat. What are you using these boats for ? are you guiding?

Kushtaka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I conduct fisheries and wildlife research in my Sea Arks, but I am shopping for myself. I go where guides don't (Only because there's no practical reason for them to). I like the predators a lot and if it didn't cost a boat buck just to get it to a mechanic I'd get a merc sportjet optimax powered super jon like an sjx or predator.

But the thunder jet setup with a big v8. that's what I'm thinking might be better for me. Being able to go 60 is good only in that it likely allows an efficient speedy cruise, and plenty of power for getting on step or getting through a chute or maybe taking the wrong line through a big whirlpool. The river I run for work offers some good varity. Big rapids (with falling ice from calving glaciers randomly sending 4-20' waves in at a right angle to your line. There is a big lake like section, a very challenging canyon, and endless miles of braids.

I'll also likely be buying a boat to play between rivers and the near coast. In small to big streams. And in mostly sheltered waters, although spitting distance from the Gulf of Alaska.

Those optimax jon boats can do it all, really. I can run skinny little water (really a couple inches for a hundred yards or so) or big rapids and swells. While towing another boat, downriver. They are really cool.

But I need to either transition to a much heavier boat with a v8, or suck it up and get the engine nobody in town will touch, requiring a ferry ride and 1200 mile roundtrip at $1000 each way before any repairs are done.

So I need a schooling in inboard v8 jet drives. Which engine/drive combos are good or bad and why, etc etc. I know I'm not really in the right place but you all are a varied group, so I figure there was wisdom to harvest here.
KickerDRB

City/Region: Anchorage
Photos: RayAnn
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those SJX's are sweet machines, but I would not want to haul it back to Compeaux's. TJ's are pretty sweet also, you could run a fair bit in the sound without worries. They are thirsty beasts. A trip from town to the copper flats will not be cheap. I know you are leaning towards inboards but an outboard can be shipped to Anchorage cheaper than moving the whole boat and trailer. I know several Big Su, Yetna cabin rats with Woolies and outboards, they seem to be a happy bunch. I went the other extreme for skinny water. 12.5ft Achillies with a 25hp 2 stroke jet. Repairs are a breeze with minimal tools. It won't run on wet grass but it does pretty good. Get stuck, step out and pull it off the rocks, no winches or rollers. No problem running the placer, 20 mile, it also rolls up and fits in the Cdory. Or small planes as required. It has been to Kodiak, Gore Point, and a bunch of trips out of King Salmon. Best part is it was not another 20-50 boat units just to sit under a tarp for most of the year.
regards,
Dave
1TUBERIDER

City/Region: Crescent City
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kushtaka
I have had several jet boats to run the Klamath. I am not the expert but have many years experience running them.

It sounds like you can run them. Its more about reading the water than charts as distance traveled is not very easily remembered on new water. Water looks different as you travel different directions and have the effects of wind. When the water is really skinny speed is your friend but if you screw up it can get you in more trouble.

Hull designs makes a big difference in speed, handling and fuel economy. To run the Klamath up to Coon Creek on the Klamath took around 30 gallons in a 14 ft alumaweld craft sprint boat I had. It was not a very good sprint boat as it had more of the conventional fishing boat bottom. It topped out around 50 and had 370 horsepower 5.7. It also had a kodiak pump which is very good but there are better for top end. It is also very easy to service yourself.
Then I bought a 16 ft jet craft sprint boat, the real deal. Same motor different hull and pump and 70 mph was top end. It also could make it to Coon creek and back on 15 to 20 gallons and cruise at a higher speed without much rpm.

Study your hull designs and decide if you want a gas hog or something more efficient. When gas hit $4 something a gallon I was done. It was more fun to go surfing instead of saying goodbye to hunskies.

Good luck in your search. That was always an enjoyable part of boating.

Sprint boats are more efficient but not set up so well for fishing. Everything is a trade off and it is best to get the design that fits your needs and wallet best. I was into speed at the time.

Kushtaka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably not being very clear here, and that's my fault, but any info is good for me.

I have loads of jet boat experience, but I run one particular setup, a 2 stroke optimax inboard merc product called a sportjet. It is great, but it's loud, and I can't get it serviced here. It's fine for work because we travel all over the state anyway, and my employer has deeper pockets than I do, and because of the utility of these engines and boats, can justify using a platform we have to do some logistics to get serviced. I want to get a jet boat that I can service in my hometown, Cordova. I am not a fan of outboard jets. They have a place, but they are full of too many compromises that suck away fuel and power.

I'm not really looking for speed, per se, but a pretty speedy efficient cruise at around 30mph or so, and a lot of power in reserve behind that for when the SHTF.

I am interested in something that I can transition from rivers to ocean in without too much trouble, and run fairly shallow, while still handling bigger water.

I do enough jet boating at work that running skinny water braids holds no recreational value to me, so I'm not really thinking about trading that capability for something more in the river/ocean realm, but I'd like torun up to the glacier, and that means big rapids, and so still in line with my trajectory.

I'm thinking about something like this 24' wooldridge:

http://juneau.craigslist.org/boa/4869252516.html

Having that boat and a CD22 would be about the coolest thing ever, but I am absolutely unschooled about the particulars of the available inboard jet/motor combos. It looks like the 350 platforms are the favorite short block, and the 460 the fav long block. But why? I like that they are plenty powerful, but can get serviced anywhere! In general I like to get a bigger displacement motor and detune it to as low a horsepower as will fit my needs. They last much longer this way, and give fewer problems, at least attached to a prop. I'm guessing jets are no different.

Finally, the jet units themselves. Most commercial jet bowpickers around me use hamilton jets. There is some debate about whether a 2 stage or 3 stage is better and whether a posi-nozzle is a must or not. Any opinions or insight here?
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do apologize if this thread seems inappropriate on C-Brats. I just like talking to y'all a lot more than on Mean Chicken. They don't have the "Just be nice" rule.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you almost cant go wrong with a woolridge, thunderjet or weldcraft in the 24 ft Plus range for the fishing you want to do. I have ran the thunder jet with a stick steering system, which my friend that owns it loves for the bigger rivers. He runs hells canyon a lot and its the way that most of the guides over there go. Those brands have been around for a while and have dealer net works. There are some other brands that make great semi custom to full custom boats but they have one shop. Alumaweld is another great brand as is kingfisher.

As for motors and pumps there are only a handful of pumps with hamilton being the common that I have seen. 350 and 460 are the two motors I see the most in these larger sled. Why? easy to get parts at any auto store and they are well tested motors that have been around in one form or another for years.

That is as much as I know. I like my little old 17ft valco out board because it fits the fishing and hunting I do in this area. 25mph is fast enough for what I do and I love the open design with out any windsheld and dash taking up space. I would not take it out on big water unless I knew it was going to be flat all day.
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do apologize if this thread seems inappropriate on C-Brats. I just like talking to y'all a lot more than on Mean Chicken. They don't have the "Just be nice" rule.
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kushtaka wrote:

I think if your thread gets a response from a c-brat, its appropriate.

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick steering is interesting. I've run airboats with stick steering and a gas pedal. I like it a lot in that application.

My Predators have wheels, but it's 3/4 turn, stop to stop. I love it. One reason I don't care for outboard jets is the long wheel travel. If I were to get an outboard jet it would be tiller all the way.

I was thinking about getting a stick steering unit for the kicker on my CD22. It's in an awkward spot and I hate steering with it.
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some info I've found, but I'm only lurking over there. You will also see the tone of the board is a little edgy, which is why I'm only reading theirs, but engaging this group.

This thread has answered some of my questions regarding the different hamilton jets I see most frequently, the 212, 211 and 773.

The 773 seems the least liked, the 212 the most, and 211 mid. The boat I'm looking at has a 773.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/142003-How-does-a-Hamilton-773-jet-perform

Last edited by Kushtaka on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/142003-How-does-a-Hamilton-773-jet-perform
joefish

City/Region: Great Falls
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: My Girl
Photos: My Girl
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has the 200 Merc Sportjet, but I like my RiverPro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: