View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Mac

City/Region: Chehalis
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mary Ellen
Photos: Mary Ellen
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Cdory 25 at the 2015 SBS Reply with quote

Surprised that their has been little comment about the new 25' Cdory. I thought it looked like a very nice build. Enjoyed seeing it and the two SeaSports on display. Preferring the 22', I would have liked to see one of the new builds of that model, maybe next year. Any other comments from fellow Cbrats?
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
C-Dory Year: 2007
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be at the presentation today (Tuesday at 3pm) of a 22 C-Dory up to Glacier Bay, and hence down the west coast of Vancouver Island. I will also be around tomorrow if any one would like to meet up for coffee or a glass of wine.
BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably a bit behind the times in C-Dory pricing, but 114k retail or 100k show special for the 25 - Wow! That is some cash - didn't realize that they go for that much now.

Thankfully, they don't change that much from year to year and our 2008 CD22 has everything that we want.

Have a nice day.

PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked the wooden cabinetry. Its a nice upgrade compared to the white ones in our boat. Also the LED lights as standard is pretty cool. I've heard people complain about the newer style striping, but I'm kind of fond of it.

I also thought it was great that Mark and the crew from NMI were there to greet us, when we checked out the boat. That's pretty cool to have the guys from the factory that made the boat there to talk to.

The big Sea Sport was one of my favorite boats of the show. It was beautiful and had everything I could ever want, but could never afford.

From the pricing of all boats at the show, the cost of the new 25 was not out of line. The interesting thing was how much more expensive the glass boats were compared to the aluminum pilot house boats. I prefer the warmth and feel of a glass boat, but aluminum has some positive aspects too. I wonder what effect the lower oil prices will have on boat build cost.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody got any pictures of the new 25 they can post? I live on the east coast and probably won't see a new one for awhile.
Lollygaggin

City/Region: Kelowna
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobLL wrote:
I will be at the presentation today (Tuesday at 3pm) of a 22 C-Dory up to Glacier Bay, and hence down the west coast of Vancouver Island. I will also be around tomorrow if any one would like to meet up for coffee or a glass of wine.

Wow, wish we could be at that presentation. That exact trip IS my bucket list. We took a big hit with the Canuck buck going as low as it has. Pretty much puts any new C-Dory or Sea Sport out of the equation for us. There is one "last year's" model of 22' Sea Sport "Sportsman" for sale at one of the local dealers here in B.C. That will still cost about $120K Canuck bucks and it really isn't even EXACTLY what we want. And to think; we only paid $30K for our first home, on an acreage, with a creek running through it, within the city limits. We must be old.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
Anybody got any pictures of the new 25 they can post? I live on the east coast and probably won't see a new one for awhile.

There's a few pictures posted on the C-Dory facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/CDoryBoats

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the 25 cdory going for 115 k and the 25 cut water going for 99k its not a hard choice really. If I was in the new market I would not be getting the Cdory. And I really hate to say that. but lets compare

180 hp to 300 hp, no shower in the 25 at the show.( might not have been done yet ) hot shower and full head with sink. 100 gallonsCD ( ? ) 120 gallons CW
top speed 25 to 28 mph CD , 50 mph (claimed) CW
cruise speed 18 to 22 mph CD, 26 to 28 Cw ( claimed) MPG CD 1.8 to 2.2 ( different people tell me different things CW 3MPG ( claimed at 26 mph) Thats better then my boat.
One bunk and a table that folds down for one CD, two cabins ( one v-berth one under the table for two and the table folds down CW)

Then there is the finished look. Well Cutwater has that hands down. If you don't agree ask your wife. And the Cd still does not have a fish box. I was on the Cd for 20 mins and heard three people ask"wheres the fish box" and then get off the boat when told there was not one.

The cut water has a lot i dont need but for the same price as 25 cd i will take it. I can't afford either one but how the hell is CD going to compete with that?? When the ranger tugs and the other cut waters came out they were a lot more then the cd and out of our price ranges, but to get so much more for the same price??

Really like talking to the guys from Cd and Iam suppose to pitch a Idea to them about fish box add ones after the show, want to help them pick up sales they are missing.

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shower in the 25 was there hiding behind the hanging window cover. Its a pull-out type and stows behind a little hatch with the hot/cold knobs.

We didn't like the Solara 24 but that was just the styling. I can't help but think that boat is taking the Cutwater Brand and putting too much of a Bayliner shine on the whole package.

Looks like a lot for the money and maybe it is, but a lot of what? I would look very closely and ask many questions before starting a relationship with one. Putting an outboard on it was a great idea of course. The dory is starkly bare bones in appearance for the cash required. Some experienced boaters and fewer new ones probably prefer that look or at least the perceived lack of complexity.

Funny how the fishbox was such a deal breaker. Isn't that what coolers and those huge insulated transom bags are for? Easier to live with....

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am over 1,000 miles away from the Seattle Boat Show, so don't have the benefit of seeing this new Cutwater in person. On their site, they say the "Special Pricing" is from $99,937. So, that's where it starts... and I would bet money that is an introductory price to bring some new folks in. With all the other boats they sell, Ranger can afford to "supplement" this model's initial offering... good for those who get in early, but they are buying a completely new model.

From the photos, it looks nice. Ranger knows how to design boats that people like, AND how to market them. Unfortunately, in my opinion, C-Dory (and that includes several factory owners down the line) lost their ability or desire to market boats when Jeff moved to Ranger. Buy a Ranger or a Cutwater, and you know there will be interaction between the boat owner and the factory (yes, including when bought through a dealer) - you are part of their "family." The C-Dory "family" exists on this forum; not because of any action (or inaction) of the factory. Frankly, that IS important to a lot of people.

I have owned boats with a full inner liner - they look great, but it does limit your access to wiring, etc. I can see the advantages either way.

When we ordered our CD-25 at the SBS in 2006, there were Boat Show incentives that saved us several thousand dollars (and helped fill the build slots for much of the year for the factory). With this new Cutwater, I have no doubt they are doing the same thing. So, if you want one, Tom, now would be better than later.

New boat fever... I only know of one solution, and it is rarely a permanent one. Twisted Evil Ahhhh, I love the smell of "new boat"!! Mr. Green

Jim

[/b]
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No new boat for me but just see a hugh gap in what you get for the money. Wish it was not so but it is. And yes Cut water is buying the market right now with low pricing but that is just business.

I asked about the shower and was told that boat did not have one?? maybe the presenter should know his boat more?

ice boxes take up room and get in the way. fish boxes also provide more storage for the none fisherman. I think a lack of box ,when every other boat does have one, is a deal killer if you are going to fish. I was much happier after I spent time and money adding one to my 22. single best improvement to the boat.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish boxes have plus and minus features. The ones in the Tom Cat have been a bit of a problem--with the poor access of the macerators, and leaking hatch covers. I have seen some boats with great fish boxes, including "coffin boxes" above the deck level. Room could be made under the floor of the C Dory 25 for a built in fish box--or under the splash well, with a dedicated change to the build of the boat.

I suspect that the real world mileage of the Cutwater will not be as good as the C Dory 25. More deadrise in the cutwater, more HP for the cutwater. I can see that the diesel could be a higher MPG, but aagain, that is diesel vs gas--not the boat.

I for one prefer the utilitarian type of interior. In the long run, I find it easier to maintain.

All of this inflated new boat price, only helps keep the value up of our used boats.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the price for a 25 C-Dory appears to be $100K, with motor and less trailer. I believe Journey On cost ~$75K in 2005 with trailer, and fuel oil was ~$30/barrel (if I remember correctly.) Fuel oil is what produces the resin for fiberglass, so boat prices tend to follow that cost.

The Cutwater Solaria 24 is certainly a direct comparison with the C-Dory. It comes (std) with a gas V-6 I/O. It doesn't have all the extras of the Cutwater 26, including a diesel or thrusters. Everything is now an option. I wonder what a outboard version would cost?

For both boats, you'll need to add a trailer (~8K?). And I've never heard of not having a built in fish box being a deal breaker, for either the C-Dory or Cutwater. I'd have to see them side by side to figure out which I'd want. Judy certainly prefers the C-Dory over the Ranger Tugs at any price.

Also, beware of mfg's fuel figures. They're taken with an empty boat and Kentucky windage. I remember the fuel figures on the C-Dory 10 years ago. I'm not sure if they were a lie, but they certainly were not the whole truth.

Is Jeff still with the Cutwater/Ranger company?

Boris
My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A C-Dory 25 can be ordered with a large fish/storage box if desired. We ordered ours with the one above in 2004. Equipped with a macerator/pump out it was large enough to hold a 110lb Halibut or 9.5' deflated Achilles dingy .

1992 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sold 8/96
1992 OLympic 26XLF Sold 10/2000
1989 Arima 19 SR sold 2003
2004 C-Dory 25 sold 10/05
1992 Bounty 25 Offshore Pilot sold 6/2010
2006 Arima 17 SC sold 9/2012
2013 C-Dory 23 Venture
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
Is Jeff still with the Cutwater/Ranger company?

Yes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: