The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

What are the REAL TomCat 255 performance numbers.....PLEASE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been here in a little while, but having just helped purchase a CD25 for a friend with the same motor, maybe I can help. The key here maybe determining what the real WOT performance is of the boat as equipped. From that point you can determine what might be wrong. The BF-150a should be turning real close to 6000 rpm at WOT. I think the engine manual says to shoot for a range between 5500-6000 but in a light boat you might want to shoot for the upper end of the range. The rev limiter should keep you from breaking anything. The way to test that is to run the boat up to full throttle and slowly trim the engines up until the props ventilate and then put then drop them back down slightly. If you are not at 6000 or so RPM then it's time to look for a problem. You've seen the list of potential problems, but start with what is the real WOT today.

Things I have noticed on engines on the last 3 C-dory's I have bought are:

a. Motors are generally mounted too low.
b. Props are higher pitched than they need to be in actual use.
c. Some dealers don't do a good job of explaining the effect of engine trim and trim tabs (if installed) on performance.

Tom

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoWalterGo - Welcome to the C-Brat site. We use to do that around here. Have been AWOL for a bit but getting hooked back up. I think we may a friend in common. Do you know Forest? Just thought of him when I saw your site name. Run Forest Run!

Sorry, I just could not pass that one up.

I think it was Dale Earhart's car owner at one time that told him in order to go faster we need to slow down. Kinda looks like what is happening here.

Dec14 you sign in buying a used tc255....THIS MONTH.

Glad you slowed down to enjoy the buying process.

You sign in from NJ, talking to a dealership in SC who is in contact with folks in WA. Where is the boat?

I guess everything else has been pretty much covered. I owned one of the original Tom Cats, the TC24. It was a very nice boat. Some pictures of it in my photo album ....FREEBYRD.

Some great owners on here with many, many hours/miles and trips on the TC255. Great Great Loop boat. If you go to do the loop again, and ya want to slow down for a nice side trip,...check out the Cumberland River. Cool ride for the lower part of the river just to make a run up to Nashville and hit the honky-tonks. Then, if you want to see the rest of the river, continue on up to the headwaters.....many miles up river from Nashville. Most of the guide and travel book folks think you have seen the Cumberland if you make it to Nashville. I disagree.
Again, welcome to the site.

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Sasscom

City/Region: St. Michaels
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: ViewFinder
Photos: ViewFinder
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 2009 TomCat w/Suzuki 150s fully loaded with inflatable and kayaks on roof can reach 38 knots at WOT. Usually cruise at 4000 rpm/22-24 knots burning 11-12 gph. Permatrims help achieve planning at lower speeds...can cruise as low as 15 knots. Boat was set up by Marc at Wefings, who seems to know these boats better than anyone. Very happy with boat, engines and Marc. ViewFinder is being trucked to the Florida Keys this week to escape the snow and ice!
Suzuki 150s
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sasscom wrote:
Our 2009 TomCat w/Suzuki 150s fully loaded with inflatable and kayaks on roof can reach 38 knots at WOT. Usually cruise at 4000 rpm/22-24 knots burning 11-12 gph. Permatrims help achieve planning at lower speeds...can cruise as low as 15 knots. Boat was set up by Marc at Wefings, who seems to know these boats better than anyone. Very happy with boat, engines and Marc. ViewFinder is being trucked to the Florida Keys this week to escape the snow and ice!

That's pretty much exactly what i see on mine.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: