The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

02/27 - 03/01 - St. John's River Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Skinny Lizards Reply with quote

I just sent an E mail to the band "Lonsome Bert & the Skinny Lizzards" about the date and price ETC I'll keep you posted. I asked for Saturday night. If they are avilable we need to figure out the money part which I don't have a clew. I'm willing to do the foot work etc. Cliff 352 735 1601
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All!
I've been busy working on the "Out2C" for the last few weeks and should be finished with all my projects tomorrow. Putting on the Poly Glow finish took a bunch of time but the boat sure looks good. I see that some are interested in having live music at the gathering. I am not against doing so but there are a bunch of details that would have to be worked out.
#1)Will the park allow it? I can ask when we boat down on Thursday to Hontoon.
#2)If they allow it what hours are we looking at?
#3)what happens if it rains? There is no real pavilion.
#4)no public transportation across the St. Johns after sunset so someone would have to transfer all personal and equipment across the river. We cannot use the park dock so we would have to go to Holly Bluff or Ed Stone Park
#5)who would pay? Would someone like to donate the $600 or so? I hesitate to require a fee from attendees.
#6)Someone would have to volunteer to head this up.
#7)How many would be interested in proceeding?

Post your comments and we can go from there.

Thanks......Tom and Joyce Schulke

2004 C-Dory 22 Out2C
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom and Jimi....

The money and logistics are why I just reported my findings and left it at that. I figured this would complicate things and I fear you may regret entertaining adding this to the event. That said, it seems Jimi is willing to be the go between and I am more than happy to contribute money wise and offer up my boat for transport. The big "if" is interest from other participants. Chris Clark (with the band) is aware that being a large group and short of time that I have my doubts we can pull this off in time to secure the date we would need. AND, as you say, the Park would have to weight in as well. The nice lady ranger, whose name escapes me, did mention to me last year that she was interested in having some type of live events out at the Park. You may find she is ameable to this and may even authorize use of the shuttle boat and or the dock for transport. I was quoted $500 for 1-4 sets of music, about a $100 in travel costs, and since it's close enough they would not need lodging.

I suppose going forward let's see what the Park says, what Jimi finds out and whether the group shows any interest.

Sure hope I haven't thrown a wrench in the works Note

Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm a little reluctant to put this in the open forum (lest someone think I'm a party-pooper), but although this is a creative Idea, in my opinion it goes well beyond what I think of in terms of CBGT's.

If it's home-grown talent (ie. Jim Bathurst playing his guitar or Pat Anderson on the octarina) that's one thing, but hiring a professional band for a gig at a nice Quiet little state park on an island is Out There in my opinion. What happened to simply sitting around a campfire and enjoyably BS'ing with other Brat's?

That said, Mary and I are currently in AZ trying to downsize the last house and get it on the market. We HOPE to be there for the Hontoon CBGT, but that's still up in the air.

Best,
C&M

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: 02/27 - 03/01 - St. John's River Gathering Reply with quote

I was at last years gathering and loved it. That being said I think the band thing is pushing the limits of good taste. The park has been more than accommodating to the C-Brats. This is a park with other people probably coming there for peace and quiet. What really needs to be considered is that this gathering that has been Tom and Joyce's baby and I think they have done a great job. Interjecting or even suggesting changing a quiet gathering to a hootenanny is miss guided IMHO. I think if a musical gathering is what some folks want they should pick another venue and handle it all themselves. I hope the gathering will continue using the current formula for what everyone has been enjoying.
D.D.

Molly Brown

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I thought it appears too be much. I'm all for keeping it simple. Maybe I'll just buy one of their albums Smile

Wrench removed....

James
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James....if you buy buy one of their albums bring it along. Id like to hear their music.

I've received other PMs that would prefer to keep the gathering much like last year so that's what we will do.

Thanks for the input from all! We will see you on the St. John's!

Tom and Joyce Schulke
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all
C-Brats are the very best! Its great to have a discussion where EVERYONE has been kind and respectful. This is why Joyce and I choose to host this SBGT. I have been on forums where people get hostile and mean spirited. But never on the C-Brats.

This is a great group! No rules...just be nice. And everyone is!

Thanks again....Tom
bcassal

City/Region: BLoomington
State or Province: IN
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Carpy
Photos: Carpy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am heartened in the manner in which this issue has been resolved.

The C-Brats are a great group!

See y'all at Hontoon.

Bruce Cassal
Carpy
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahoy.....C-Brats

Joyce and I visited the staff at Hontoon island State Park today. They have a new Park Manager whose name is Ken Torres. Real nice guy. He is excited and looking forward to our SBGT. They will be working on one of the docks over the next few weeks so that it will be ready for us. Christine, the events coordinator at the park, was off today so we will contact her about a nature program for the group.

We reserved the fire pit and they will supply the tables and chairs. Everything is coming together. Now all I need is fire wood, sunny sky's, good food and a bunch of C-Brats!

We will use channel 72 while on the St. Johns River.

See you there.....more news later.......Tom

CD 22 Commuter Out2C
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fellow Brats..
Joyce and I landed up driving to Deland Florida today and decided to stop over by Hontoon Island State Park to talk with Ken the park manager. And who should we find piloting the park boat but our very own Bill Smith captain of the C-Dory Blue Days. He and his wife Becky could not wait for the SBGT so they volunteered to be dock host volunteers for the month of February. Hank and Pat Clow on the Meri Aura were out cruising while we were there....sorry we missed them. I know the St. Johns will see a lot of C-Dorys over the next month. We plan on doing a few 2 to 4 day trips over the next few weeks before the "official" gathering.

Have Fun and we will be on "72"

Tom and Joyce Schulke
CD 22 Commuter Out2C
[img]
Molly Brown

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, that Bill and Becky have really been getting around this year. It will be interesting what their take is on Charlotte Harbor and environs. I'll be launching on the 11th to host an old friend for a few days. Betty will be running a half marathon on the 15th and we'll meet up at Hontoon then head south to Lake Harney. Beyond that we'll be "somewhere" on the river ending back at Hontoon for the get together. It's shaping up to be well attended as I count 23 boats signed up. Sure hope C&M can make it. We'll keep the radio monitoring channel 72 as well.

James
Molly Brown

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm perusing Google maps and the St.John's river is shown as "Arlington River". Never noticed that before. Anyone know the story?

James
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James
I do not see that on my Goggle map (on I-pad) but I do an Arlington River near Jacksonville just SE of Exchange Island on the St. Johns.

Goggle make a mistake......Naaaaa

Smiles Tom
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All
If you were at last years gathering you know the name tags we had really were bad. This year I bought better ones that will be supplied. They are on a cord so they should last more than a day.

However if anyone would like to order a REAL NICE name tag we have a supplier about five houses down the road from me. I feel they are reasonably priced and nice looking. They would have your name, your size and model of boat, boat name and generic C-dory outline. Size is 1 3/4 x 3 inch. White with black lettering. If you order for the gathering we will bring them along and there will be no shipping charge.

If you want one or just to look at one go to my photo album and you will find a photo of mine and an order sheet. They come standard with a pin but I like the magnet (extra cost).....not recommended if you have a pace maker. They MUST be ordered directly from Ken. He is honest and reliable.
If you want me to deliver them mark "Deliver to Tom" on the order blank or pay for shipping and see it sooner.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: