The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Woodbridge Ecological Reserve California Delta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Woodbridge Ecological Reserve California Delta Reply with quote

Thinking of using Walnut Grove Marina as a home base on our C-Dory while visiting the Woodbridge Ecologica Reserve to photograph the Sandhill Cranes. I have been adding to my "California Delta Map" with points of interest, feel free to edit the map to add or update anything.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zXM7Er2IwdMQ.kwxhw0NJzf9g

For those of you that know the area well can you recommend a vantage point to see the cranes. It looks like to channels off the S Mokeiumne River can get you pretty close by boat, would you be able to observe the cranes from there? How is the Walnut Grove Marina? Do they have boat trailer storage?

we plan to arrive on wed Jan 21st and head back home that Sunday if anyone else is in the area. We love to eat at Guisti's Restaurant and the hamburgers at Al the Wop's are fantastic!

Far C'r - 2001 Cdory 22
Bluechablis - 1992 NorSea 27
Quarter Note - 1972 Cris Craft Sloop
Palantir - 1971 31 Mariner Ketch (Far Seer in Elvish)
Aphrodite - 42 Ft Schooner Jay Benford Design
Darkwater

City/Region: Fort Bragg
C-Dory Year: 2008
Photos: Darkwater
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help you with the cranes, but for scenic wildlife habitat in general, check out The Meadows Slough and vicinity (take it slow and watch your tides and depths), and also take a leisurely cruise down Georgiana Slough.
C-Ray 230DA sold Aug 2013
Retired Dec 2013
2008 C-Dory 22 Cruiser (unnamed) Jun 2014
Bluechablis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the response Darkwater Doug!

We were in the area for a week after last years Delta Cruise and I tried to get up to "The Meadows Slough" from Walnut Grove when I noticed I was "chopping" through some sort of underwater plant that the whole channel was infested with. I don't know if there was a part of the channel that was clear of that stuff but I didn't want to get up into the boonies and get trapped!

Will definitely take a spin on Georgiana Slough
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its been 14 years since I fished the area but from my experience you can not see over most of the dikes from the water. You might on a high tide but I doubt. You would have to leave the boat and walk up the dike to get a good view.

From your map the reserves is off the water in a field. You might want to call some one that has been to the reserve and knows for sure. Just a idea.

SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Floyd,

I would not consider Walnut Grove a marina. All you have is a dock and gangway to shore. You can stay overnight for a fee but there is no water or electric as I recall.

You can walk to the historic town of Locke but it is a long way to the area where the Cranes are. I don't know if you can see Cranes from the Meadows area. I think the main area to see them is an area north of the Consumnes River Preserve which is east of Int 5.

You may be able to get east of 5 on Lost slough but I don't know if there is enough water.

Here is a link about the Cranes:

https://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/er/region3/woodbridge.html

Steve
Bluechablis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the information

I was hoping to stay in Walnut Grove and use the jeep to pop over to the reserve, although it would be nice to see the wildlife from the boat trying to see over the levees is indeed difficult. Maybe just a couple of nights at the marina in Walnut Grove to do our photography and then pop over to Rio Vista to get some amenities.

Definitely a great area to explore by boat and if I can just get the birds to say "Cheese" that would be a fantastic way to pursue boating and photography at the same time! I will post any good shots I get on this thread.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Romeos bait and tackle in Rio vista fr any info on the rivers, water passages , docking ,etc. they fish everyday and know the area really well. They have a facebook page. All those guys sturgeon fish and know every little canal in the delta.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: