View previous topic :: View next topic  
NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: SE Alaska 2014 - Cruising/Fishing with New Moon Reply with quote

Cold and gray where you are? How about some photos from a relatively sunny and fishy summer mostly near Craig in Southeast Alaska? Caution - lots of kid and dog pics....

Follow this link, then you might want to choose Slideshow.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=101628059664148533399&target=ALBUM&id=6100309478574419073&authkey=Gv1sRgCMaar_Pj49DNdA&feat=email

Enjoy,

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
cgrfish

City/Region: Monroe
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Koa Makai
Photos: Koa Makai
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Great pics and a few questions Reply with quote

That looked like a great trip, and it brings to mind a couple questions to fuel my dreaming.... It looks like you towed to Prince Rupert, and cruised from there. How long were you on the water? one other question that keeps popping in my mind is on an extended trip, how are you dealing with the fish you caught? You obviously caught some beauties, and do you have them frozen and then shipped home, or what?

Thanks for keeping my dream alive. I'm getting closer bib by bit...

Mark
NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

It was indeed a great trip - best fishing yet, in many summers up there.

We tow almost 1900 miles in 4-5 days, and launch in PR, storing truck and trailer at Four Seasons storage. We were on the water 2.5 months last summer, anchoring in some cove 2/3 of the time.

Craig's about the fishiest place I know of in SE AK - maybe even better than fishing out of Elfin Cove. No cruise ships, so far less charter boats, and very near the outside. And some of the very fishy locations are inside the outer islands enough to be pretty well protected. Fine crabbing and shrimping too.

There are at least two fish processing places we've used there - actually both a few miles away in Klawock. We carry a very good 75 qt cooler, and fill it with flake ice at the commercial plant right above the fuel dock for only $2, so we keep fish in fine condition for a couple of days.

We bleed gut and gill salmon right after catching them, then put in cooler (those small enough to fit). The big king had to lie on deck under a wet white towel until we got back to town. We take heads off after returning to dock for delivery to processor, who vacuum packs and freezes for us. They accumulate the frozen fish and pack in 50lb boxes for air transport.

Guests (including wife and 10-year-old) join me for a week to 6 weeks at a time, and fly home with fish on Alaska Air. Fish can also be sent Fed Ex, but it doesn't always go very directly (through Anchorage, I have heard), and tends to take too long to stay well frozen. Can't bring fish home with me on the road - no way to keep frozen.

With halibut we bleed and fillet right after catching, leaving the four "fletches" whole, with some skin left on each one (federal regs). Fillets go into large ziplocs, and into cooler.
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great trip for you and the family. Your son sure seems to have the knack for fishing and catching those big ones!
Thanks for sharing the photos from your terrific summer.

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: