BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we are very tired of having the fuel exit from the fuel vent or burp out the fuel fill. We can take care of the burp by wrapping a fuel towel around the fuel filler, but still have the fuel vent problem.

You can just not fill the tanks fully, but we like to get as much fuel as possible to extend our range (within reason).

So, we just recently purchased this No-Spill fuel recovery container for the fuel vent. We have used the No-Spill on our trawler when the fuel docks would hand them to us to use on the vent. We just hate spilling fuel into the waters that we love cruising.

http://www.tgmmarine.com/nospills/pages/products.html

Ted Osborne

City/Region: Des Moines, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tabbycat
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used one of the No-Spill recovery containers for yrs. Work great. Also when we think we are getting near full we put our ear down by the hose fill and listen. On our Tomcat we can hear when the rushing of the fuel changes sound and we stop......that means we are at least to near the top and most often have no fuel going into the No-Spill container. Filling up a boat is very different than a car.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're also very familiar with this problem. On our boat, we don't have the problem with fuel coming out the filler opening, but it will burp out the fuel vent and down the side of the boat if we're not careful. It does this regardless of the level of fuel in the tank and is always dependent on how fast we are filling.

So far my solution has been to hold a couple of paper towels over the vent, and fill slowly. This is especially annoying if I have two low tanks, and have to fill them all the way up. By the time they are full, 10 minutes has gone by and I have a back and neck ache from holding the position.

When filling at a dock, its even more critical that no fuel burps out so I take it even slower. I know it's just a minor inconvenience, but is there an easy fix?

I like the idea of the vent whistles, but that still doesn't solve the problem of how slow the tanks need to be filled to prevent this from happening. It's not really worth the trouble if it doesn't solve anything for me.

I'm very interested in hearing from folks that have actually solved this problem. I'd be inclined to fix the problem if there is an easy fix, but probably not brave enough to attempt to go at it alone and potentially cause an even bigger problem.
williwaw

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, I just checked out the whistles and they cost $30 each (I need two). Still... it's low risk and easy Smile

I was asking around locally and was told that some fuel tank builders actually drop the vent tube into the tank an inch or so to help with this problem. I believe the idea is that as the fuel level reached that point the vent is essentially plugged and the fuel backs up the filler neck. I suppose this could be retrofitted by placing a check valve into the vent line.

This begs the question: what would happen if you put a check valve in BOTH the vent line and filler hose? Would that eliminate vent overflow and allow for a more orderly shutoff of the nozzle? Any volunteers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: