City/Region: saltair
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: raincoast
Photos: Raincoast
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the great advise
I'm taking a boat course through the local power squadron and wanted to apply what I'm learning in the class room to real situations. When we where out last sunday we tied up to the floating dock at Wallace island I didn't bother with a spring line but later thought this could have been a mistake if we had left the boat unattended.
CW

City/Region: Kalama
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We were handling our lines but the neighbors were tied off. The Corps guys didn't say a word, just let the water out. Before you know it that cruiser was at about a 45 degree tilt and those folks were crammed into the low gunnel. The only thing that saved them was when the chocks pulled out of their boat."

Isn't it interesting that, by law, boaters are obligated to help another boater in distress unless they risk harm to themselves and their craft whereas this power-tripping tax paid Army Corps of Engineers jerk just let his grim sense of humor endanger four others (hapless though they may be).

Take the high road, educate, lend a hand, help enlighten, even if they are jet skiers. Not everyone has the same depth of experience, but those that are aware and caring, are usually willing to learn. Who here hasn't screwed up and been thankful someone else made a point to help you avoid a sizeable mistake? Then again, if someone chooses to ignore a conscientious warning... let the chips fall where they may.

I'd be tempted to tie that guy to a barnacle encrusted pole at low tide and lecture him while the water climbed up his neck. That might get his attention.

Oh, and there's nothing like boating a few miles only to realize that the gentle thumping you hear along the hull .... was a couple of salmon tied off with a rope and forgotten about. Then you realize that was what the other fishermen were laughing about as you pulled away. C.W.[/quote]

lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tied at the back of the lock, there were only the two boats in there. I stayed as far away as possible because they were more than obnoxious and I wasn't paying that much attention to them. Busy with my own.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CW,

Having gone through locks on both coasts, and in three countries, I've come to appreciate the help lockmasters give. They have invariably been willing to give help and work with you. Even if you don't speak French (Canal du Midi.) I agree that it's their job to see that boats get through locks safely, and whether it's a commercial lock or on a cruising canal, they've always helped me, to the point of reminding me that I've violated several rules, (left motor running, get forward, etc.)

I feel it's unfair to condemn a lockmaster just on a post which makes a point. You don't know what went on between the boat and lockmaster before the water went out. For instance, I'd think that the lockmaster would remind them to tend their lines. I've been reminded to do so. I'll also show you the bend in the stern rail where the line got tangled and I had to cut it. Judy will not let me straighten it out, since it serves as a reminder to pay attention (or my stupidity, pick one.)

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting knot, Tim. I'll have to confess I had never seen it before. Not sure how I would use it in mooring however.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
CW

City/Region: Kalama
Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have jumped the gun a bit. I was in a surly mood this morning. C.W.
Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one thing not to do when tying up. Do not tie to any object that is not rounded or smooth. I tied to a dock with only one cleat near the boats forward spring cleat so tied the stern line to a piece of 1/2 inch thick galvanized flat bar attached to the dock. Within a few hours wave action moving the stern up and down caused the stern line to be sawn through. The off dock breeze blew the stern out and forced the bow into the dock where it began to bump and saw at the wooden dock planks. Great lesson learned the best way...the hard way. I bare and share so you can be aware!
Mike "Levity"
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two items for "rough docks"--one is a fender board--we use a 2x6 for the Tom Cat. The second is a couple of several short lengths of chain--for rough pilings, rocks or steel bar tie ups. We loop the chain back and connect with a shackle and a thimble in the end of one of several lines we have thimbles spliced into. (Including the one we use for the snubber off the bow eye of the Tom Cat)
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of things I'll add, specific to the CD22: 1. The boat bellies out midships, and tapers in a lot forward. I use a HD round (larger diameter)fender for the stern to balance this out or else more pressure ends up on the midship fender. 2. I've installed a dedicated cleat on the inside gunnel surface for the stern fender. I pre-tie the fender whip to the right length for my regular dock and leave it attached, then flip it in when underway. Using the stern cleat leaves the stern fender too far back IMO, and it will sometimes roll behind the transom otherwise. 3. Like many others here, I've installed a (backed, through-bolted) padeye below the sliding window on each side, for attaching that fender from the inside. That fender has a brass clip tied to the whip for quick/easy attachment. This is my most forward fender; the midships fender is left tied to the bulkhead grabrail at the proper length for quick and easy deployment/storage. 4. I've installed line management cleats waist high on the bulkhead, both sides, for securing bow lines when underway. I plan to add a large, starboard backed padeye on the starboard side to clip my mooring line to. 5. I try to have everything color-coded for easy management. EG: telling a novice guest to grab the "red line" is easier for them than saying "port bow line". There are several other little things one can do. The main goal is to make the tasks you do every time you use the boat easy, systematic, and effective. For years we approached docking and mooring haphazardly. Boating has become much more enjoyable since we've brought these tasks under control. Later, Mike.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloyds wrote:
Anyone ever think about tying a light line to the bottom of the fenders and pulling all the slack out and tying it off to a rear cleat, making the fenders horizontal near the deck? I hate those cold showers when I forget to pull in the rear fender on my 16'.

This is kind of a message in a bottle from 2008 but I don't see where anybody answered the question. YES it is used extensively on canals. Having spent 5 weeks on The Trent Severn System I would say probably 80% of the cottage owners use this method to tie up their fenders while leaving them ready to deploy quickly. Most also fender up both sides.

OK now back to 2015!! Smile
Regards, Rob

Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To managing your dock lines from the cockpit, you may want to consider this mod I installed on my CD25.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album666&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

This mod keeps me in the cockpit where I can still manage the bow and mid-ship lines. My stern lines are also pre-rigged on the stern cleats with spares lines also at hand in the cockpit. If I will be out of sight of my CD25, I will always set spring lines.

I also preset the fender board and fenders when anticipated. My marina has well protected floating docks with bumper strips all around, but not all the marinas here have these.

I do check how firm my inflatable fenders are before I leave the dock and the security of the two 6' lines attached to each. These 6' 'pig-tails' allow me to lay the fenders horizontally or join them together.

On the Lower Ches. Bay most docks are floating, but as I go inland and north on the James River (and others) fixed docks become more prevalent with its lower tidal changes.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Art

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
JPL

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: Bucket List
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sea Angel,
I like that for the lines. Looking at picture 1 of 9, looks like a power cord on the starboard side, is that make it easy to hook up to shore power or a generator?

Thanks
John
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert H. Wilkinson wrote:
lloyds wrote:
Anyone ever think about tying a light line to the bottom of the fenders and pulling all the slack out and tying it off to a rear cleat, making the fenders horizontal near the deck? I hate those cold showers when I forget to pull in the rear fender on my 16'.

This is kind of a message in a bottle from 2008 but I don't see where anybody answered the question. YES it is used extensively on canals. Having spent 5 weeks on The Trent Severn System I would say probably 80% of the cottage owners use this method to tie up their fenders while leaving them ready to deploy quickly. Most also fender up both sides.

OK now back to 2015!! Smile
Regards, Rob

YUP, my forward fenders are tied that way all the time. Makes it easy to deploy from the cockpit. Forward fender is tied (hung) from the midship cleat. The lighter line (3/16 about) is tied onto the lower end of the fender, then led up and forward of the after most upright of the bow rail, then lays alongside the wheelhouse combing, aft to the rear of the outside cabin wall, and tied off there onto a rod holder. The tie-off is with 2 loops. One to hold when the fender is fully released and deployed, the second is about 3 feet back on the line and works to hold the fender up above the rub rail, more or less laying on the forward part of the wheelhouse combing. I used to undo all that for trailering, but not somuch any more. The stay very secure.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should note that if the visibility requirements are such that I need to run the nav lights, I can drop the fenders, again from the cockpit, to where they are below the rub rail and not interfering with the lights.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: