The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-Dory Handling
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 83 has the molded in strakes on the bottom
three of them,one down the middle and one on each side about a foot in from the edges

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
Salmon Slayer

City/Region: Juneau, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Holly May
Photos: Holly May
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My strakes are wooden and not glassed in. They are attached with epoxy and have stainless steel posts embeded into the strakes (I know because I have the start of a small split in the leading edge of the starboard strake I need to fix as a result of an errant rock while beaching!!@#$#@!!).

This looks like a factory installation and not an add on but if anyone knows I would be interested.

Where did all those years go?
Redƒox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salmon Slayer wrote:

This looks like a factory installation and not an add on but if anyone knows I would be interested.

All the very early 80's ones I've seen were all bonded to the bottom... I believe this was how the factory did them back then (year---?) If Rogers 83 has the glassed-in ones, then I bet all the pre-82s have the ones like you... Neutral
k3nlind

City/Region: Layton
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Topkick
Photos: Topkick
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet once again you guys sent me packing on the internet highway...

I learned that a 'strake' is defined as: A single continuous line of planking or metal plating extending on a vessel's hull from stem to stern."

I'm gonna nail me a 2 by heavy on both sides of the keel so I can have some too! Smile

E.C.H.O.

bcnu,

ken
Redƒox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k3nlind wrote:

I learned that a 'strake' is defined as: A single continuous line of planking or metal plating extending on a vessel's hull from stem to stern."

I'm gonna nail me a 2 by heavy on both sides of the keel so I can have some too! Smile

I thought of this Exclamation - our good-old Classic's were built for rough-landings out there Thumbs Up Wink - not sure if glassin them stakes in was a good idea or not; I'd almost rather have them bonded-on, so I can replace or extend them with a hard-wood, and not have to do any glass-work at all this way Exclamation
Now; with mine, and it's glassed-in "landers" (aka- "strakes") it might be OK to bond-on some oak ersumpin Confused should i ever need extra protection down there Thumbs Up ... then again; I think every little extension on a hull is going to cause drag Sad maybe it's not a concern for a hull thats doing under 24-kts most the time Smile
Salmon Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of think of my boat as a good, used, mechnically sound 4x4 pickup (not to enter the truck wars but I run a 3/4 ton 2500HD single cab 4x4 GMC with a 365ci gas guzzler). Its old enough that replacing the strakes like Redfox suggests isnt intimidating and I dont cringe when a crab pot bangs the side. At the same time it looks like a boat should look (salty) and is as comfortable in Alaska weather as any boat much larger and at least with my boat, its utterly reliable.

I do think it is different in Alaska because most people up here are more self reliant so tearing into a big project is just a matter of course. We do our own mechanical work, re-roof our own houses, use the bounty of this country to help feed our families, and most importantly, help each other out.

Dont be afraid to modify your boat to suit you needs, its part of the enjoyment of having a C-Dory
Redƒox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salmon Slayer wrote:

I do think it is different in Alaska because most people up here are more self reliant so tearing into a big project is just a matter of course. We do our own mechanical work, re-roof our own houses, use the bounty of this country to help feed our families, and most importantly, help each other out.

SS. Thanx bro! and so true for us to... at least most of us from old-Alaska Wink

Ever think about bonding and screwing some of that plastic they use on airboat hulls Question I know yas can get it in super-thick pieces Thumbs Up thought of doing the stuff up the bow a ways, for breaking ice and going through heavy icepack.
My buddy Fred on the Little Beluga has had the plastic stuff on his big ol fiberglass landing craft for as long as I can remember... no problems at all of the stuff coming off
Thumbs Up Very Happy Idea
Salmon Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Fox:

I had never thought about using plastics but that actually is kind of interesting. I have always been a fan of wood because its so forgiving and easy to repair but plastic may be more durable.

I am interested in how your keel shield is holding up, I am thinking about doing something similar for a spring project.
granitecarver

C-Dory Year: 1985
Vessel Name: Acquitted
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Tracking Reply with quote

Yeah, I have an '85 Angler and it tracks terribly in a chop. I've also often wondered if the bottom could be somehow modified to give it some tracking stability.

I installed a trim-tab kit--but i don't recommend it. The c-dory tends to get up on the step very ably without it and it makes the boat unstable to th point of being scary. And it cuts about a knot off the speed. My experience is that it does nothing for the performance of the boat and is a good modification to forget about.

Regards,

George P. Vancouver BC.
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I wonder which ones you have and how they are installed.
I just put the Bennett Sport tab 120s on Sea Lion and I like them. Only 1 trial run with them so far but I see an improvement and I am able to trim her out and improve my economy and performance. It sure is nice in a chop compared to just using the motor trim.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George , I too have the Bennett trim tabs on my 22',and would not be without them. But I think I understand what you mean by being scary at times. Lot more experience brat will jump in and try to help you. Here my theory about those little tabs, if your cruising at let say 12 to 14 knt just for an example , than you decide to go after this guy that just stoled your crab traps!... YEs if you do not retract your tabs it can get scrary , I think it is like if you where in a car at 50 mph than accelerate to 100 mph than put your arm out the window.Also when your are in following sea tabs should be up, engines should be use for trimming. I think most smaller boats our size will react the same. I find with reading some of the past posts on the subject ,and some patience with my boat I now am close to use and understand my trim tabs. The are a great tool if use right. Gary
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
I have a 1983 Angler. The bottom is almost perfectly flat.(It has a slight camber in the stern) It also has small keels running on the starboard and port side to give it stability. I find that the boat does not run well with the wind on it's side, in fact, stop the boat and the wind swings the bow around immediately. I have found the the best thing is to tack. I brought the boat across Nantucket Sound when the course was about South East, and the wind was coming out of the North at about 25 to 35 MPH. I tacked off the waves, and adjusted the steering depending if the bow or the stern was hit by a wave. When I got close to Nantucket, I had to tack to the North East, and then run before the wind riding up the waves, but not over, in the channel. ( the waves were not breaking.)

If you can find an old issue of Chapmans, maybe back to the 1960's, there is a great Chapter on running inlets and rough weather. (The newer Chapmans devote about a 1/2 page to the same subject.) Don't bother adding anything for a while until you get use to the boat. I did purchase a 75 Yamaha 4 Stroke engine, which can improve opertion because I can raise and lower it almost to the point that it will hold a straight course.

I hope this can help you.

Fred Heap

DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Fred , one thing that I find with my new C-Dory is that I am more daring than all my other boats that I use to own in that same size. When it use to be rough we did not bother going , so you are right I just get to get more educated about all different sea conditions. I was suppose to sign up with they Auxiliary Coast Guard for a weather course but miss the sign up! My first storm was quit an eye opener got to love those C-Dory! Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: