The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Mixing kerosene and Kleen Heat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I go with an old topic - - - - -

It is that time of year to replace the K-1 I did not use in the CD25. I have abt 3qts left from the season. I have what looks like 6qts of good K-1 here at home that I'll place in the spare tank.

I have looked for KLEEN HEAT since 2005 here in he Va. Beach area without any success, till today. I found it in the paint department of Home Depot in 120 oz. clear containers for $10.38. (I bought two.) It sure is more expensive than K-1.

Given the long shelf life, I'll top off my second swap-out fuel tank from home if the K-1 burns OK with the KLEEN HEAT after I take it to the boat the next time I go to the marina. I'll empty the old stuff from the first tank and clean it for the next cycle with the plan to use just KLEEN HEAT.

Hopefully this will keep me from requiring any service since it is the original unit delivered with the CD25 in Sept 2004. Maybe I should not have said anything Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Art

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used #2 diesel, Kleen Heat (last time I got it at Home Depot it was a gallon Tin and about $7; currently is $11 in stock at local Home Depot.) Way back I got 2 1/2 gallons of "liquid candle" which appeared to be an odorless fuel for lamps, from West Marine for about $6.00 on sale. I used that over several years. None of the 4 Wallas stoves I owned had any problems with fuel. I don't see any major issue with interchanging the Diesel (which I am currently using) with Kleen Heat. I put the diesel from the stove in the RV at the end of each year--and get another gallon when we take the first trip of each year. The pump is a simple pump, and does not need the lubricity which an injector pump for a diesel engine uses. I understand what the guys at Scan say--and I am sure that they are correct--that certain stoves are designed for #2 Diesel and some others for Kerosene or #1 diesel.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the current thoughts on the shelf life of Kleen Heet? I just found a bottle, that is at least 2 years old. I don't use very much, so this would last another season for sure. I still have half a tank in the boat tank now. It is probably a year newer than the bottle I found.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Chuckpacific

City/Region: SW PDX
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Big Sky
Photos: Big Sky
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used diesel, kerosene and Kleen Heat in my CD-22. I started with diesel but didn't like the smell if the wind was blowing the wrong way. I switched to kerosene but found it to also have a smell. For the last 8 years (out of 10) I used Kleen Heat. I never had problems with my Wallas but I used it at least 3-4 times a month, year-round. Because of all the negativity regarding the Wallas over the last 10-12 years I was careful never to use Kleen Heat that was more than 2 years old and in the original unopened container.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shelf life. Another reason to use your boat more often in the cooler/cold "off" season. We burn only kleen heat from the home stores mostly for odor reasons and never have any trouble. I just top off the tank periodically with a jug on hand so the relative age of the tank contents should always be less than two years even though the stuff on the shelf is often nearly a year old already. We use the larger, lower profile 10 liter tank which keeps me from feeling like I need a second/extra jug on board.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
macmac

City/Region: Seattle
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Wallas and fuels Reply with quote

Please be careful posting about fuels for Wallas products. Wallas builds devices that burn diesel and other devices that burn kerosene. Some can cross the line between fuels and some can't. There are no models specified in this posting/string, so no way to know which devices are being discussed.

Please contact us about your device and the right fuel. Advice is free and available every week day, 9 - 5 PT.

Doug at Scan
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Wallas and fuels Reply with quote

macmac wrote:
Please be careful posting about fuels for Wallas products. Wallas builds devices that burn diesel and other devices that burn kerosene. Some can cross the line between fuels and some can't. There are no models specified in this posting/string, so no way to know which devices are being discussed.

Please contact us about your device and the right fuel. Advice is free and available every week day, 9 - 5 PT.

Doug at Scan

Doug, Thanks for that post. It is probably very good advice that we should be aware of.

I think the most common Wallas in the C-Dory's is the 2 burner, (like the glass top range) with a fan in the cover. I know mine was installed in 2005, and I think it is a 95D. Would you mind posting the preferred fuel for the 2 burner stove/heater combo unit variations (which I think include 95, 88, and 85) Or which ever units you think are the most common it the C-Dorys.

Thanks for considering that, and for your kind offer for phone availability. I know Scan has a great service ethic.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

[img][/img]
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used our Wallas 85 for 4 seasons, and from the beginning have used nothing but diesel. We ran our stove nearly every day for three weeks when we were in Annacortes. The stove runs flawlessly. As a precaution, we put in fresh, unstabilized diesel fuel every 2 years. There is only a slight whiff of diesel when we initially start our stove, and thereafter there is no smell. Believe me: my wife would not tolerate fuel smell. Our cabin smells nearly as fresh now as it did the first season. Diesel fuel is cheap and uncomplicated; I'm glad we took Les Lampman's advice to use this fuel over other alternatives.

Rich

cbgale

City/Region: Calumet
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: Raton
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently noticed that on initial start up of my dual burner 2007 Wallas stove/heater, that there appears to be some visible flames in the pot burner which decrease fairly quickly(within 5 minutes) and the stove then operates flawlessly. I think it is just a slight excess of diesel burning off. I don't know if I just missed this during my first 5 years of ownership, or if it is a recent thing. Very little smell on startup on diesel and none once warm. Have others noticed this on startup, or should I be concerned and send in? I use it regularly while in the water.
C-Nile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbgale wrote:
I have recently noticed that on initial start up of my dual burner 2007 Wallas stove/heater, that there appears to be some visible flames in the pot burner which decrease fairly quickly(within 5 minutes) and the stove then operates flawlessly. I think it is just a slight excess of diesel burning off. I don't know if I just missed this during my first 5 years of ownership, or if it is a recent thing. Very little smell on startup on diesel and none once warm. Have others noticed this on startup, or should I be concerned and send in? I use it regularly while in the water.

Since the beginning of using our Wallas stove, there has always been a slight whiff of diesel at start up and thereafter no smell. On another matter, we never start our Wallas on high. In fact we usually are around 35 percent of full heat and leave it there.

Rich
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Nile wrote:
cbgale wrote:

Since the beginning of using our Wallas stove, there has always been a slight whiff of diesel at start up and thereafter no smell. On another matter, we never start our Wallas on high. In fact we usually are around 35 percent of full heat and leave it there.

Rich

The Wallas will start on high and shut down on high regardless of the setting. Just listen to it the next time you start it up and shut down.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
C-Nile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

breausaw wrote:
C-Nile wrote:
cbgale wrote:

Rich

The Wallas will start on high and shut down on high regardless of the setting. Just listen to it the next time you start it up and shut down.

My question is: is that just the fan we hear ramp up to higher rpm's, or does it also include higher heat output? I'm asking, because I don't know the answer to that question. You bring up a good point.
Sea Angel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple answer -
When the glow plug turns off (somewhere about 3 minutes after start) there is less power drawn by the unit and thus the voltage increases so the fan will speed up.

Art
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Angel wrote:
Simple answer -
When the glow plug turns off (somewhere about 3 minutes after start) there is less power drawn by the unit and thus the voltage increases so the fan will speed up.

Art

If the voltage to the unit is dropping significantly when the glow plug is on, it's likely that the wires are too small.

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
Sea Angel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod is quite right about the wire size for it is one of the most critical electrical installation issues.

There are other factors that also relate to the capability of the power source available to the WALLAS.
Is the battery fully charged and how new is it?
Is the power source (battery charger, OB alternator, etc.) capable of the drain presented by the 'Start functions'?
Are the connections/connectors firmly set to minimize any loss across, or through, them due to looseness, corrosion or metal fatigue?

So as a (helpful) tell-tale for where the WALLAS is in the 'Start" function; this minor voltage change that will occur will be reflected in a change in the fan motor speed. [The higher the voltage, the faster the fan speed.]

If you can monitor the House/buss battery voltage to the WALLAS through one of your electronic display devices that shares this source, you can get a real sense of how 'strong' your electrical system is handling the load.

I have my NAVMAN F3100 monitor display on the same house buss with the battery voltage selected, displaying the 12VDC level, before, during & after Start. This has proven to be very useful on many fronts. It's just that the F3100 has one of the least power loads in my system. Though it is not too apparent, I do have the WALLAS wired to my HOUSE Battery Switch.

I hope this is a helpful addition.

Art
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: