The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

02/27 - 03/01 - St. John's River Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the Whitney Anne signed up for the gathering. Last time I saw her she had just been bought by a park ranger down at Blue Springs. Wonder if it's still the same owner?

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=St-Johns-River-2013&id=IMG_0115&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just signed up. We've done the St. Johns once before, but are looking forward to doing so again, with the group. Launched at Savannah before, and will probably do that again, as the cruise from there to Jacksonville is wonderful.
cdory25

City/Region: Flagler Beach
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Shoal Mates
Photos: Blues Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: FYI Reply with quote

Last year we had to put in at Holly Bluff marina in Deland due to a last minute overheating alarm problem. I replaced the thermostats the first day and it still wailed. Ended up putting tape over the alarm and checking the motor frequently with a temperature gun. Turned out to be a bad sensor.

Going to try putting a few more hours on her this year. Since we got a nice party barge for local day cruising we don't get out on our CDory enough anymore.

We plan on launching Blues Cruiser from Palatka this year, possibly leaving the Saturday before The Gathering. That should be enough time to explore and hopefully meet others traveling by boat at one of the marinas or springs along the way.

Looking forward to another adventure on the river with the C-Brats! I'd like to take that trip as far south as we can go.

Please let us know what we can contribute as we are fairly local. That being said we only have limited experience on the St. John's but I'm confident we can find Hontoon Island from Palatka.

New Years resolution: CRUISE MORE!
Stan Major

City/Region: DeLand
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: The Pegstan
Photos: The Pegstan
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blues Cruiser
I like the new Year's Resolution!!!

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far is it from NAS JAX to Hontoon State Park ? is this a single day trip or with the wake zones is it two days ?

I am looking at the mileage from California and it looks like 5 days towing my 22......was thinking I could leave my tow rig at NAS (retired Navy)

Joel
ENCS USN Ret.
SEA3PO
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel,

I just checked our NOV2013 mileage from Hontoon Island SP to NAS JAX: 113sm. I don't recall too many manatee (wakeless) areas on the St. Johns, but there are a few. From what I remember most of the wakeless areas seem to be on the ICW. Someone else can probably clarify that....

We were just dawdling and taking our time, so after we departed Hontoon Island SP we stayed at Silver Glen Springs SP (30sm) for two nights, then to Welaka, FL (19sm, and a free town dock), then on to Pelatka, FL (19sm, and a free but noisy town dock [but there is a quiet anchorage nearby]), then on to NAS JAX (45sm and $9/night incl elec). You could do it in one long day ... but why rush?

You might want to consider trailering to the Hontoon Island Resort and Marina (TEL: 386-734-2474). The marina is directly across the waterway from Hontoon Island SP. They have a paved launch ramp, and plenty of truck/trailer storage. I don't recall what they charge, but it was quite cheap (maybe $5/day?)

Best,
Casey&Mary

Last edited by Casey on Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Molly Brown

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel...It can be done in a long day but after driving 5 days cross country you may want to break it up in two at a minimum. My suggestion would be to zip from Jax to Palatka and then take it easy from there. The best part of the river is Palatka south. I know a few are going to cruise the river between there and Hontoon prior to the gathering. The worst of the slow speed/idle zones are near Hontoon, especially around Blue Springs.
jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel I have done that run many times, it is a two day run not unless you have two drivers and have recovered from your cross country drive.
jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel I have done that run many times, it is a two day run not unless you have two drivers and have recovered from your cross country drive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
C&PBerkeley

City/Region: Eastern Shore
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: christyanne
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like good time, will try to make it, been out on the bay last 8 out of ten days, getting a little cool in Va. , thought about a trip that way in Jan. a few nights on boat a few in a room etc. Bought 22 cd in Nov worked on it a couple weeks only had 49 hours on it, now has 96, what a great little boat,
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C&PBerkeley wrote:
sounds like good time, will try to make it, been out on the bay last 8 out of ten days, getting a little cool in Va. , thought about a trip that way in Jan. a few nights on boat a few in a room etc. Bought 22 cd in Nov worked on it a couple weeks only had 49 hours on it, now has 96, what a great little boat,

C&P, Great, found a diamond yet to be cut.

This sure looks like a fun gathering. Mr. Green Looking forward to 2015-6.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Molly Brown

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how is everybody? Been actively thinking about our St.John's trip this year and starting to get ready for it as well. Some other postings have me wanting to propose a couple of things.

One would be that for those on the river before and after the event we agree to monitor channel 72 for hailing other Brats or whatever channel the local attendees might suggest as a better channel.

Two is to put out a request that if any of you have or know of someone with a musical inclination to invite them to the gathering. Lonesome Bert and the Skinny Lizzards have me a toe tappin' Smile

Thoughts??

James
cdory25

City/Region: Flagler Beach
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Shoal Mates
Photos: Blues Cruiser
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly Brown wrote:
Two is to put out a request that if any of you have or know of someone with a musical inclination to invite them to the gathering. Lonesome Bert and the Skinny Lizzards have me a toe tappin' :-)

Thoughts??

James

We've seen Lonesome Bert and the Skinny Lizzards in St Augustine. Definitely a "toe tappin" bunch. Maybe we could hire them.
Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alma's Only will be on the St. John's for most of the week before the gathering. Always available to raft up for a break or provide assistance, and anyone wishing my specific location can hail on channel 72 (or whatever other channel is agreed to). For a longer range connection, just send a DSC position request to MMSI 338020314. This radio is set up for automatic reply to such requests.

Otherwise, looking forward to joining in on Friday.
Molly Brown

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll also be on the river before the event starting the 15th and will be initially heading upstream/south to explore down to Lake Harney. Beyond that we have no plan nor itinerary and will bounce around between Sanford and Green Cove Springs, maybe Black Creek. We'll monitor 72 for any Brat traffic.

Out of curiosity I emailed Chris Clark with Lonesome Bert and the Skinny Lizzards. They are available for that date and have a set price for 1-4 sets plus travel expenses. Comes out to about $600. Not being the organizer, nor wanting to complicate things or ask for money, get permission etc...I'll leave it at that. I'm just thankful that Tom and Joyce were willing to set this gathering up again and look forward to seeing everyone in what we consider to be a top cruising ground. We're river bound in another 27 days. Can you tell I am ready?

James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: