The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Brakes locking up in reverse with plug off
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a really problem when i first got my trailer. my rig is a 94 ranger. it comes with a tow package with a 4 prong plug. I bought a 5 prong plug and the instruction said to wire the parking light wire to the parking light and the back up light. Well that did not work because the 94ranger is a mazda. So the back up lights are not on the same circuit as the parking lights. So i wired the four wires coming out from the stock plug to the 5 way connector and then traced down the back up light ( thanks dad for teaching me wiring diagrams) and hooked that up to the last plug. If you want to unplug your lights and still back up just off set the plugs, male and female ends, so only the back up light prongs are hooked up. But to tell you the truth with the sealed lights and the new lid bulbs why would you have to unplug them? thats a really old guy thing and Iam only forty this nov.
Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new Pacific Trailer with disc brakes which have an extra wire in the harness that connects to the backup lights on the tow vehicle. When in reverse it locks out the brakes, preventing them from locking up. With the light plug out, you must do this manually by moving the lever on the trailer hitch to the back up position. A length of wire, wrapped around the lever and the end of a nearby bolt will prevent it from slipping back into the trailering position while you manuever.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sealife wrote:
With the light plug out, you must do this manually by moving the lever on the trailer hitch to the back up position.

Now that's a cool deal. The King trailer does not have this feature. All we have is a lever with a chain on it that connects to the truck so if it breaks away, the brakes get set.

Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sealife Mike. I ran out and found the same little knurled knob/lever on my Pacific trailer w/disc brakes. Doubt if I'd use it since, like a number of Brats, I don't bother to unplug when launching or recovering, but it's nice to know should one need to move it around using a front mount receiver.

BTW, Pacific has switched over to all LED lighting now and the new LED lights are interchangeable with the old ones, albeit spendy. No, I don't have the new type (yet) but visited their Chino facility last week for some warranty work and noticed the new parts.

One problem I do have is the fact that no matter how tight I make the transom tiedowns, the boat's stern still slides back and forth on turns. Stops when the bunker hits the outer strake, of course, but it is a tad disconcerting. Any hints? Or is this the usual C-Dory behavior?

Don
TyBoo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In typical C-Brat style, this discussion started with one subject, resolved it, and moved onto another. Also in typical style, the second topic is, and will be in the future, valuable in its own right. So, the discussion following Sneaks' last observation and question has been split off into its own topic, Securing Boat On Trailer.
k3nlind

City/Region: Layton
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Topkick
Photos: Topkick
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had occassion to do some work on my trailer plug this weekennd. In doing so, during the quality assurance and safety followup check my digital VOM reflected that when the truck (Dodge RAM... Teeth ) lights were off there was no electricity flowing to the trailer, duh. So I got to wondering why all the concern about unplugging cuz I thought the thread started where one backs the trailer into the water. Sure glad to find out it was just being backed into a driveway and that the cord was too short. Thought I was loosing it for a moment!

E.C.H.O.

bcnu,

ken
Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true! If you have the new LED lights on your trailer, it's no longer necessary to disconnect the plug from the tow vehicle before launching. This is because the LEDs don't get hot like the old bulbs, so there's no danger of them popping when hitting the cold water. But still, to back up with disc brakes, you need that extra wire connected to your backup lights to keep the brakes from locking up. Otherwise, you need to move that lever to the backup position manually.
k3nlind

City/Region: Layton
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Topkick
Photos: Topkick
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... Sealife is right... I forgot all about those lamps getting hot... Crook

My first boat (which I still have) has trailer lamps for sure, but they are way up high on the centering rollers, so they never got wet... Embarrased

Sure glad I have LEDs for two reasons: 1) Like TyBoo said they sure are pretty under the water; and 2) I don't hafta mess with the plug. Thumbs Up
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sealife wrote:
But still, to back up with disc brakes, you need that extra wire connected to your backup lights to keep the brakes from locking up.

I've not experienced any problem unplugging my electrical before launching. Must be because all the launch ramps I've encountered are "down hill" so there is no pressure on the surge brakes. Any other time, when backing I keep it plugged in.

P.S. Suppose, that if I ever had a problem with the brakes locking up, I'm sure the Dodge Cummins Diesel would back 'er up anyhow! Laughing

P.S.S. For a situation such as you are experiencing Fred where you are unable to plug in the electrical, I utilize a bolt as Starcraftom described in his first "Sept. 24" post and it keeps the brakes from activating. (I use this method when I'm moving that trailer around with the tractor and have no electrical connection).

C-Brat #16

Last edited by DaveS on Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:20 am; edited 3 times in total
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveS wrote:

P.S. Suppose, that if I ever had a problem with the brakes locking up, I'm sure the Dodge Cummins Diesel would back 'er up anyhow! Laughing

yep, you are right about that Dave ,and that Cummins makes so much noise that you wouldn't hear the tires schreeching on the pavement either....lol....

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SENSEI"]
DaveS wrote:

yep, you are right about that Dave ,and that Cummins makes so much noise that you wouldn't hear the tires schreeching on the pavement either....lol....

Noise?, what noise?....Oh yea, forgot, I'm hard of hearing anyhow! Disgust
TyBoo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred -

A similar question came up on another forum site, and I got tired of hearing about it so I looked around for a manual valve. Them things are pretty cheap, after all. This one can be had for $14.49, and would be a simple install.

I found the thing here, but you can probably find something similar at the local NAPA store. Elegant, indeed!
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveS wrote:
Must be because all the launch ramps I've encountered are "down hill"...

Yeah...I hate those uphill launch ramps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: