The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Honda150 - Makes rapid stream of clicks but won't turn over.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
designbug

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bella II
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Honda150 - Makes rapid stream of clicks but won't turn over. Reply with quote

Hi All,

Went to the boat today and found the engine wouldn't start. Ignition panel switch and lights look good and the batteries are fully charged but engine makes rapid stream of clicks and won't turn over.

I cleaned all the battery terminals and connections but no success. Could it be the buss (I didn't clean it) or do you have any suggestions? Never had any problems before.

Thanks, Dick
Spike

City/Region: Kent
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bootleg Hooch
Photos: Bootleg Hooch
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your batteries are charged and you cleaned and tightened the cable terminals I would check the terminals connections at the engine especially the ground. If that dosent do it than I would be thinking about the starter solenoid.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick-

Sounds like you're getting power to the relay, but not to the starter itself, or the starter is seized.

Start first with Chuck's suggestions above.

Then I'd next y connect a voltmeter negative lead to the ground and use the other (positive) lead to

1. See if the large cable bringing power into the starter solenoid is live with the full battery voltage, then

2. connect it to the output side of the relay and see if when the starter is activated and the klicking starts, the full voltage is being delivered to the cable or directly to the starter if that's how it's designed (solenoid on starter body, wired internally).

I'd also find out if I could spin the starter motor manually with a tool to see if the armature is seized.

If the motor is seized, you need a new one or a rebuild by a competent electrical technician.

If the motor is not seized, then maybe the solenoid is bad, especially if you can determine in #2 above that the full voltage is not being applied to the motor when the key is turned.

If you can't make a determination, the motor and solenoid can be detached and taken to a competent person or shop.

You could also "jump" the starter solenoid by supplying power directly to the motor from the supply (inlet) side of the solenoid and/or battery with a heavy cable (00 or better) to see if the motor itself spins and is is good, which would also help you find out where the open circuit occurs. I don't think this would back up voltage and current into anywhere it would do any damage, but I'm not familiar with your particular motor.

Be care when doing all of this, the size of the current involved can produce a lot of heat and start a fire, and the motor and it's Bendix drive gears can remove fingers easily.

Sometimes difficult repairs are best left to a professional repairman.

Always use caution, and when in grave doubt, don't!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are the batteries ? and have them tested with a load tester
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility which Joe came close to touching on: Some times a damaged Bendix gear will cause similar symptoms. Take the cover off the motor and have someone hit the starter briefly, and observe if there is any movement of the starter motor or Bendix gear.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
designbug

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Vessel Name: Bella II
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll let you know what I find. Likely won't be able to get to it until next Saturday due to work.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes batteries can show full voltage at rest(12.6) but if they have internal shorts/problems the voltage will drop drastically very quickly. It may even return to 12.6 after the load is removed. I would start with Brents suggestion and put a load test on the battery if you have a tester.

Put a voltmeter on the battery and watch it as you try the key. If the voltage drops drastically and quickly it would probably be one of 3 things. A bad battery, a bad connection or something seized and or shorted.

Mt guess would be the solenoid. If it is stuck, they can engage with a tap as Bob suggests. Extreme cold can also cause them to stick. Age can also weaken them to the point that they can no longer push the bendix into engagement.

Starters can seize up but seldom when they are being used regularly. If it was seized the bendix would probably still engage and this would cause a short. Sometimes with a bad solenoid the starter will spin without the drive engaged. Does it sound like the starter is spinning?

Regards, Rob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: