The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Aqua Signal LED Bulb Conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol & Bob Larsen

City/Region: Mattapoisett
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Carol Lani
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Aqua Signal LED Bulb Conversion Reply with quote

If you are looking to replace the festoon dimpled bulb in the Aqua Signal 25 stern light with an LED bulb, you have already discovered two things: 1) they are very hard to find, and 2) they sell for $30 to $40 each.
I've figured out a simple way to convert the bulb holder so that it will use relatively cheap auto LED bulbs ($4 to $7). It only takes about 30 minutes of time.
If you send me a personal email, I will email you a Power Point file with all of the pictures and instructions on how to do it.

Bob
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, post edited. I saw you had a 22 and so figured at first that you were talking about the all-around light (which on my 22 is a Perko 1209 that serves as the stern light, the steaming light, and the anchor light) and for that there is a really nice LED that fits great for $15*.

But now I see you have an Aqua Signal 25 stern light. So my reply was thus incorrect. Sorry! Please pardon the "barge" into the thread.

Sunbeam

PS: But now someone reading this will wonder about the LED bulb for the Perko 1209 which seems to be on most 22's. That can be found here:

http://store.marinebeam.com/bayonet-90-led-replacenment.html
Carol & Bob Larsen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sunbeam,
I always thought that a stern light should only be visible from the rear. Ours is located on the back of the cabin roof..... It is on a separate switch so it can also be used to illuminate the cockpit as well. ie lot's of current drain while docked.
Bob
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol & Bob Larsen wrote:
Hi Sunbeam,
I always thought that a stern light should only be visible from the rear.

Yes but...

If you are underway in a powerboat you have to show a steaming light forward along with a stern light aft. It just so happens that the sector required to be covered by the steaming light, plus the sector required to be covered by the stern light equals 360º of coverage.

On boats of less than 12 meters in length, it is permissible to use a combined fixture (i.e. an all-around light) as the steaming plus stern light. And of course an all around light can also be used as an anchor light. So, on many 22's the Perko fixture I mentioned above is used for both. The switch panel has some jumper wires so that when you turn on "running lights," that white all around (i.e. steaming + stern) light and the two sidelights are turned on and you are good to go. When you turn on the anchor light switch, just the all-around white is illuminated (although it is the same bulb and fixture as used with the running lights).

Sunbeam

*This is Rule 23, section (d) (i), linked below:

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesContent#rule23
Carol & Bob Larsen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Stern light Reply with quote

You are correct. I just looked it up. My apologies! I was used to seeing the stern light on my sailboat.

Bob
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can get confusing! Sounds like your 22 has separate lights for steaming, stern, and anchor (all-around) - but that is also perfectly fine of course. More than one way to meet the requirements on our boats.

I'm actually thinking of relocating my white light because when used as an anchor light it shines right in my face through the forehatch Disgust I would prefer to enjoy the night sky! There is also a bit of light shining on the foredeck when it is a steaming light, which I would prefer not to have.

For starters (try easy solution first) I got a Perko accessory that is essentially a black piece of plastic that clamps on the stalk and shades the light from beaming straight down. If that works, great. If not.... I'm going to relocate the light (potentially going to a different style).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: