Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDory23 wrote:
Also this only eliminates the cabinetry L brackets and screws. What about all the screws holding the potable water line is place?

I eliminated those holes at the same time as I did the brackets, for two reasons:

1) I didn't want any holes into the core - just didn't seem necessary.

2) I didn't like having the water lines attached to the sole because it made it hard to clean/crud could get trapped under them.

At the same time, I re-routed one of the lines. On my boat I have a foot pump at the galley sink, and the supply line for that ran along the inboard edge of the galley cabinet, then made a sort of an "out and around" loop on the sole to meet up with the hose barb on the pump at the correct angle. Since I was replacing all the lines with new hose anyway, I ran that line around the outboard side of the galley locker. Takes a little bit more hose but now it's out of the way and the stowage area is not bisected by a hose.

By slightly moving the P-clamps I was easily able to attach them to the cabinetry instead of the sole. So no holes into the hull and also they are less prone to trapping dirt.

CDory23 wrote:
I understand the process of overdrilling/undercutting, but on other posts I have seen the use of two epoxies to fill holes, is that necessary?

Typically it's not really two epoxies, but rather the initial "coat" is neat (plain) epoxy. Reason for that is it bonds better to the core than thickened epoxy would. But if you make a larger "hunk" of it, it's brittle. So what one typically does is stir some thickener powder into it (this strengthens it in addition to making it thicker in consistency) and then use that to fill the bulk of the hole. If you work efficiently you can even use the same batch (neat, then thickened).

On the other hand, you can use the pre-mixed WEST 610 (thickened epoxy with somewhat variable viscosity) for the whole shebang (WEST say). I still tend to use regular neat epoxy for the first "wet out," but theoretically you can use the 610 for both. "Pound for pound" the 610 is very expensive, BUT it's very efficient and tidy to use, and these sorts of filling jobs don't typically take gobs of it. It has definitely become "standard stock" in my epoxy kit. I still keep "traditional" (ha, who ever thought you'd be able to use that word to describe epoxy) plain epoxy and fillers on hand, but then I've been using it on various boat projects for some years, so they are just part of the project arsenal (the 610 isn't ideal for everything).
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not feel that it is necessary to use "two" epoxies. What you can do is to take a "Q" tip and dip it in the epoxy after the two parts are mixed, before adding the thickening agent to coat the hole, this takes a few seconds. (See my note about the migration of what Sunbeam calls "neat" epoxy vs one of the low viscosity epoxies [such as Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer--CPES], which migrates far better into balsa core than one of the usual laminating epoxy, such as West 105.)

You should not add thickening agents until you have mixed the epoxy, so there is no extra step. The epoxy has enough pot life to allow this and then thickening, and further use.

I recently put a Jabsco galley pump, in the water line from the water tank before the foot pump (it allows water to flow thru, with minimal loss of volume. I did not use their switch or spout--kept the old one). This was to empty the water tank at the end of the season, or when shocking it. There is a monetary switch, which can be pushed with a finger or kept down with knee pressure, on the face of the galley cabinet.

I filled the "C" clamp holes and left the hose loose as Sunbeam described.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, So I have removed screws and drilled overdrilled holes to 5/32. I placed a piece of tape on the bit to not go too deep but i noticed one hole is about 5/8" deep. I have also bought "Smiths" CPES.

Do i need to be concerned with the one hole that is 5/8" depth? Was my diameter that I overdrilled large enough? Also for the undercutting what bit is the best to attach to the dremel? A routing bit?

Thanks.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDory23 wrote:
Ok, So I have removed screws and drilled overdrilled holes to 5/32. I placed a piece of tape on the bit to not go too deep but i noticed one hole is about 5/8" deep. I have also bought "Smiths" CPES.

Do i need to be concerned with the one hole that is 5/8" depth? Was my diameter that I overdrilled large enough? Also for the undercutting what bit is the best to attach to the dremel? A routing bit?

Thanks.

On my boat (2002 22 Cruiser) the main hull has coring of at least 1" thick, so I think you are fine. I'm not saying you should get risky, but I find that if I am careful drilling, and "feel my way" that I can tell when the tip of the drill bit touches the solid glass on the other side of whatever core I am relieving. Hence I usually go right to glass (but not into it).

I tend to use four tools about 90% of the time when digging out core (although I have an arsenal of possibilities, and use whatever works). Those are the Dremel #115 bit, the Dremel small sanding drum (sometimes works better than the metal bit, counterintuitively), a dental pick, and a small flat-bladed screwdriver. The pick will get into very small holes (Dremel requires something like 5/16") and really "catch" the core and bring it out (a vacuum helps too).

If I can, I "clean up" the inside of the outside skin (i.e. bottom of hole) for better adhesion, although it's not a big deal in this case. But I just mean I try to scrape the core off, vacuum, and then eliminate dust before epoxying.

Although there is no need or desire to cut out great swaths of the top skin of fiberglass, I don't have any issue with going to a 5/16" hole to make the process easier and get a larger annulus. But each situation/person/job is a bit different. There are times I've done the digging through a tiny hole (maybe in a case where I don't want it any larger cosmetically); but I usually go a bit larger than 5/32" just for access.
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to be adding shelves and possibly some drawers to my galley under-sink storage area this winter, and the elimination of the rather cheesy factory-installed, screw-into-hull steel L brackets is one of my targets.
This may be a dumb question, but I was floating the idea of using 3M5200 to bond a piece of marine plywood to the hull to act as a cleat. The cleat would be about an inch or so in height. Then, screw through the cleat to the cabinet side.
Is the use of 3M5200 for this purpose ill-advised?

Chris
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if you never, ever want to take it off again. Rolling Eyes

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used both 5200 and epoxy. There are some pluses to quick set epoxy. It goes off faster, and adhesion is better than 5200. With either, I would suggest that you sand the hull, I would slightly thicken the epoxy. I have used hot glue to hold the wood cleat in place until the epoxy or 5200 goes off.

I do this frequently--and it works well for a place to set screws into the side of the hull.
CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of 5200. Why not just use it to fill the cabin hull screw holes I"m speaking of? Or using it as a filler after using CPES? Is it purely for the viscosity reasoning that the CPES will fill voids/gaps, flow into harder to reach places therefore attach better providing a stronger bond?

Also, I may need to start a new thread but I'm removing an older GPS antenna that is mounted on the roof with 4 thru roof bolts. I was considering using 5200 for filling these holes. I"m not too concerned with matching the gel coat on the top since it will never be seen and the inside texture seems to be almost impossible to match.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5200 is clasified as a sealant, with adhesive properties. It is not intended to fill gaps or holes. (Although used for this at times). When 5200 adhers, it is a good adhesive, but there are times it does not adhere.

If you look at the technical bulitins for 5200 (all of the 3M materials) There is a table for adhesive properties. It is not as good as epoxies by a long shot.
I personally do not use CPES in the filling of hull screw holes. If it is dry, there is not reason--and the use of undiluted epoxy is optional.

As for the filling of previus holes inn the deck, there are several reasons not to use the 5200--including it will discolor with time (4000 does not discolor as much, but is even a poorer adhesive).

For bolt holes, I would want to use some structurel material--such as glass fibers if the hole is 1/4 inch or larger. Gel coat can be used with epoxy-and in small areas, a gel coat paste color matched is probably a good product to use. There is also the option of using thickened epoyx, then using a Dremel tool to contour the surface to replicate the non skid surface if necessary--finally liquid gel coat to finish. There are other ways, including using non skid pattern molds, making your own mold, and dabbing on thick gel ccoat paste then contouring it.
Perhaps the best product is vinyl ester resin, which is compatable with gel coat, and stronger bond than polyester resing. There is a lot of personal prefernce--but I would never use 5200 as the primary filler for a hole.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put bolts or screws with washers through the holes. Truss head screws/bolts can also be used without washers. If the screw/bolt comes into the interior I just put an acorn nut on it. A sealant of either 3M 4000 or butyl tape works fine to seal the screw. You can use 5200 if you are sure you won't ever need to get the bolt out.

Given the utilitarian look of the C-Dory interior having a couple extra screws or bolts showing isn't noticeable.

It is a lot easier to put a bolt/screw through the hole than mess around doing a FG repair and gelcoat fix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: