View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Rubex Hub Propeller system Reply with quote

I may have missed this topic, if so forgive me.
The question:
Your Experience with Rubex Propeller system please.
When I Google this question it has the usual results for these polls - if you will. Those generally satisfied don't bother to book in as.. hey you don't have a burr up your ass. Those that have a problem want the whole world to know-- yeah human nature.
However, we Brats are different as we share good and bad results in a more equal fashion.
My first thought is for those on Google that say the rubber hub slips, I wonder .. did they torque to specs to pull the prop housing fully over the hub to seat it? Did they spray silicon on the hub to make it easier to mount--bad idea-- if they did.
Then there are those that complained that after hitting something they couldn't pull the hub to change the prop with onboard boat tools etc.
My answer there is .. yes that's quite possible, but that means that prop probably spun on the hub (as it was supposed to) to protect the gear assembly and is jammed. This to me as an engineer, means using an arbor press - or a dead blow hammer to disassemble. No big deal.
What say you all.

3-Work at rebuilding the endangered runs of salmonids on the West Coast
Blueback

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubex Hub Propeller system Reply with quote

Blueback wrote:
I may have missed this topic, if so forgive me.
The question:
Your Experience with Rubex Propeller system please.
When I Google this question it has the usual results for these polls - if you will. Those generally satisfied don't bother to book in as.. hey you don't have a burr up your ass. Those that have a problem want the whole world to know-- yeah human nature.
However, we Brats are different as we share good and bad results in a more equal fashion.
My first thought is for those on Google that say the rubber hub slips, I wonder .. did they torque to specs to pull the prop housing fully over the hub to seat it? Did they spray silicon on the hub to make it easier to mount--bad idea-- if they did.
Then there are those that complained that after hitting something they couldn't pull the hub to change the prop with onboard boat tools etc.
My answer there is .. yes that's quite possible, but that means that prop probably spun on the hub (as it was supposed to) to protect the gear assembly and is jammed. This to me as an engineer, means using an arbor press - or a dead blow hammer to disassemble. No big deal.
What say you all.

Having no response to my query above I shall -update this post.
I have stepped out and bought a Solas Propeller with the rubber hub called the Solas-Rubex system. It looks like a slick patented invention and an improvement over the plastic hub. However, if the instructions were not precisely followed a problem could develop shortly after installation.
First.. the rubber hub is tapered and must be mounted small end first into the propeller hub... although the large end will start into the hub too. There are no identifying mounting arrows to aid installation.
Secondly.. Torquing the prop. shaft nut to specs is critical as, without sufficient torque, the rubber rubber hub won't seat down to the full depth of the propeller housing. This would mean a prop spin-out is likely even without impact.
This might be why some comments have appeared on Google critical of this 2-part drive system
CFISHN

City/Region: charleston
State or Province: WV
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am a lurker here , Researching for the Future .
I'm and experienced boat owner with 30 years experience doing 99% of all work myself .

I Purchased my first Rubex Prop Spring of 2014 & ran it all season on A 115 HP Honda .
After removing it for Inspection , re grease & replacement this Fall I noticed it seemed to have ran the shaft dry up against the hub ?
Did I have the Thrust washer orientated correctly ?

I will replace the shaft seal & run it some more ..

Rubex Hub Installation Guides
http://www.rubexprops.com/propeller-hubs.php

I frequent
www.carolinaskiffowners.com
Blueback

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CFISHN wrote:
I Am a lurker here , Researching for the Future .
I'm and experienced boat owner with 30 years experience doing 99% of all work myself .

I Purchased my first Rubex Prop Spring of 2014 & ran it all season on A 115 HP Honda .
After removing it for Inspection , re grease & replacement this Fall I noticed it seemed to have ran the shaft dry up against the hub ?
Did I have the Thrust washer orientated correctly ?

I will replace the shaft seal & run it some more ..

Rubex Hub Installation Guides
http://www.rubexprops.com/propeller-hubs.php

Thanks for your posted input to my query.
Technically speaking there are 2 thrust faces on the Rubex Hub and therefore 2 thrust washers. The main thrust washer is of course for forward propulsion. Its has a combined female conical and flat face, this goes on first and mates with the male face on the drive assembly. Then of course the prop-hub assembly and the reverse thrust collar.
This should see it assembled as the design engineers intended.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a rubex 4 blade the last two seasons with no problem and like it. Well except when I hit something this past summer and it knocked the prop out of whack just enuf to cause a vibration. Would have cost $90 to repair the prop. Instead I pulled the Rubex hub out, and bought a new prop for $90. The one I use on my Merc 115 is Solas Rubex 4 Blade Aluminum 13.25" dia. X 13" pitch SR. (Rubex P/N 9413-133-13) (Use with Rubex Hub Kit RBX-102). The change out happened in July while I was in the San Juans. The shaft and hub looked fine, but the prop had taken a slight ding in one of the blades. I placed my old Aluminum 3 blade prop back on for the rest of the trip, but put the Solas back on soon after getting back home. Ran it for a few more months, and again when I pulled it all for maintenance earlier this month, all looked fine. Colby
Blueback

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
I ran a rubex 4 blade the last two seasons with no problem and like it. Well except when I hit something this past summer and it knocked the prop out of whack just enuf to cause a vibration. Would have cost $90 to repair the prop. Instead I pulled the Rubex hub out, and bought a new prop for $90. The one I use on my Merc 115 is Solas Rubex 4 Blade Aluminum 13.25" dia. X 13" pitch SR. (Rubex P/N 9413-133-13) (Use with Rubex Hub Kit RBX-102). The change out happened in July while I was in the San Juans. The shaft and hub looked fine, but the prop had taken a slight ding in one of the blades. I placed my old Aluminum 3 blade prop back on for the rest of the trip, but put the Solas back on soon after getting back home. Ran it for a few more months, and again when I pulled it all for maintenance earlier this month, all looked fine. Colby

Thanks Colby for booking in with your experiences on the Rubex system.
Sounds like it did the job of protecting you drive shaft assembly and its cheaper to just replace the propeller shell and reinstall the Rubex hub --eh
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very happy with just having to replace the prop. The hub held up well. I forget what I paid for the hub system earlier, but nice being able to buy a new prop for the same price as repairing the old. In either case, I would still have been using the same hub. And I probably got the new hub faster than waiting for the old to be repaired! Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meant to say, getting a new prop faster than repairing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Propellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: