View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flint

City/Region: Marathon
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Grace Full
Photos: Grace Full
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Raymarine customer service Reply with quote

The people that were at the Lake Powell gathering this year, knew about my chart plotter problem. It quit working just before the gathering. I sent it back to Raymarine from Page, Az. They received it on Sept. 30 and I still don't have it back after four weeks. What's worst is they won't even return my calls or answer my emails. What great customer service. I'm putting this out here just to let you all know buyer beware. I will NEVER buy Raymarine again. Come to think about it, I didn't buy it this time. It came with the boat.
Ray

City/Region: Pamlico River
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beg to differ. However, I think I know the reason......

Many companies, and now Raymarine, have (probably for cost reasons) moved to the internet and web based support as their primary focus. For good or for bad, that's just the way it is. Some will think this stinks, some (me) actually appreciate the immediacy of the information available from around the world.

I had an S-1000 autopilot that had a bad remote. I could not get an answer or phone service anywhere.

I stumbled upon the Raymarine technical community (http://raymarine.ning.com/) and was amazed. I asked a question, and in 24hrs I had a response from a real Raymarine technician. I went through their (online again) returns process, got regular updates (online) and got my unit repaired. Yeah, there was a bit of a learning curve, but it was very much worth the time.

The technical support forum is a WEALTH of information on everything from engines, to schematic diagrams, to networking.

More recently, prior to ordering a bunch of new components, I posted on the forum my system diagram proposal. Within 1 day, I got a response from Raymarine that everything was OK. You can see that activity here:

http://raymarine.ning.com/forum/topics/a98-network-connections-can-someone-confirm-my-interconnect?commentId=6492755%3AComment%3A232924

Again, good or bad, that's just the way the world is going.

I would maybe try signing up on the forum and asking there VERY POLITELY for any help with your situation. There are A LOT of helpful folks there, but they will quickly leave you out in the cold if you come in with a chip on your shoulder. If you can see your way clear to adopting a new way of operating, there are big benefits.

JMHO,
Ray
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent customer service from Ray Marine, both on line and on the phone. But I've only had a couple of issues. Maybe they are getting sloppy. I do agree that the world is indeed moving to on line technician chat. I've tried it with other non-marine manufacturers, and once you do the on line technician support, using the phone really seems old school. Phone support always has a long wait in line and once your are there, you have to tell the person all of the detail about your product. On-line, you put all of that stuff in before the tech comes on line. Saves time for them and for you.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray -

Folks shouldn't have to post their problem on a forum to get service from a manufacturer. That's just wrong. And, your acceptance of the fact that they will leave a customer 'out in the cold' - for any reason - tells me that you have no clue about what it means to care about a customer. And, if that is really happening, Raymarine obviously doesn't care either.

Raymarine has a Contact page on their website with phone numbers for their service center, for technical support, and for other inquiries. When a customer calls one of those numbers, somebody willing and able to service that customer should answer the call. If that's too much of a burden, they shouldn't have those numbers available at all.

They are in possession of an expensive piece of equipment that doesn't belong to them. They should absolutely take the time to talk to the owner of that equipment, and to offer an update on the status of that equipment - even if that means telling the owner that it's in the queue, and they'll get to it when they can.

I'm curious... would you 'appreciate' it so much if your auto mechanic quit answering its phone after you dropped off your car for a brake job?

Good customer service is good customer service. And, poor customer service is what kills companies.

Flint -

Please keep us posted about how this turns out.

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had some dealings with RayMarine tech suppport. Due to some unexplained phenomenon, my C-120 Classic took a powder a few years ago. I was on the water, and via support from my local West Marine store, which I had a phone number in my cell phone index, I was able to get in touch with the RayMarine tech support. Yes it took a long time on hold, but they were able to retrieve function to the system while I turned circles in the bay in front of the Friday Harbor ferry terminal and marina.

Yes, it returned function. Was it perfect, no; I was taken back to a factory reset, but it worked and they hooked me up with Radar Electronics in Bellingham who had the right update card, and they hooked me up with a couple of C-Brats headed for Friday Harbor, And in less than 24 hours, I was back up and running.

The Tech support folks were helpful, though don't expect warm and fuzzy. They did take the time to get me running again. After several calls, it was all worked out. Yup it takes time on hold, and patience, but they did call me back and we did get it running.

Would I buy RayMarine again. Depends on the device.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear they have slipped into their old style of business. They were great till '07 then poor till FLIR bought them. Then good. Now? I would be hard to convince to buy Raymar stuff. The contact us on line used to be expediant. Not sure now
At West Marine Nanaimo we had Raymarine on a speed dial as in season we were on the phone several times a day for customer issues. Garmin was not on a speed dial.
Ray

City/Region: Pamlico River
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Rod, talk about cold..... Wink

I never said that it was good customer service, I said that's where a lot of businesses are going and I've adapted to it in this case. You can stand around and complain, or you can adapt.

I didn't mean that Raymarine would treat people cold. I don't know that one way or another. I was referring to the hundreds of other knowledgeable people that are typically on these forums.

Which brings up another point - would you rather describe your car problem to a single mechanic, or instead, to MANY mechanics and a 100 people whose car all had the same problem yours does -- all at the same time? ....and one of those 100 people might be able to tell you how to fix your problem for free, or without sending it away for weeks?

Just another way to think about things........
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Wow. Rod, talk about cold..... Wink
Maybe it was a bit cold, but I stand by my statements.

I never said that it was good customer service, I said that's where a lot of businesses are going and I've adapted to it in this case. You can stand around and complain, or you can adapt.
I'm not complaining. Just pointing out that Raymarine has dropped the ball regarding this particular situation. If they have a phone number specifically for support, wouldn't it make sense to actually answer that phone when it rings, or at least reply when somebody leaves a message?

I didn't mean that Raymarine would treat people cold. I don't know that one way or another. I was referring to the hundreds of other knowledgeable people that are typically on these forums.
You specifically mentioned Raymarine's technical forum, linked from Raymarine's website, and presumably set up so that owners could contact Raymarine's technical support staff. If I were to post a question on THAT particular forum, I would expect an answer to come from Raymarine, not "hundreds of other knowledgable people". There are plenty of other forums (fora?) on the Internet for that.

Which brings up another point - would you rather describe your car problem to a single mechanic, or instead, to MANY mechanics and a 100 people whose car all had the same problem yours does -- all at the same time? ....and one of those 100 people might be able to tell you how to fix your problem for free, or without sending it away for weeks?
I think you're missing the point here. If I drop my car off at the dealer, I want to be able to get a status update from the mechanic that's working on it, or from the service manager at that dealership, regardless of what "MANY mechanics and [100 other] people" might have to say about it. In this case, Raymarine has Flint's chartplotter in their possession and won't respond to his inquiries about it's status. Does that seem acceptable to you?

Just another way to think about things........
The vibe I get from your statements is that if a company ignores the folks using their products, those users should just lower their expectations. Sorry, but I expect better.

I'm certainly not saying that "Raymarine's technical community" doesn't have value. In fact, I'm sure it's a great resource for those that are dealing with problems concerning Raymarine's products. But - again - I have to wonder why they won't respond to Flint's phone calls and emails regarding his chartplotter. They have it in their possession. He want's to know what's going on. Is it too much to expect a timely response? I, for one, don't think so.

Well, that's my opinion. And I suppose it's probably worth just about what you paid for it. Here's to hoping your seas are always calm. Beer
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Raymarine customer service Reply with quote

I'm with anyone who says a published contact phone number ought to be answered. Ok everyone is busy? Leave a message and answer the message with a return phone call. Customer service is pretty simple, you treat people how you would want to be treated. A situation like this is an opportunity to make someone happy and create customer loyalty. I think this opportunity might have been missed by R.M.
I've always used Garmin since the Loran system got flushed down the toilet. They replaced a multi function 4208 unit out of warranty via a phone call. I will stay with Garmin till they leave me in the cold. I've heard enough war stories about certain product lines and I avoid them like the plague. I know you can't please all the people all the time but a month with the unit, no return phones calls would not convince me I needed send any more dollars their way.
D.D.

redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
I beg to differ. However, I think I know the reason......

Many companies, and now Raymarine, have (probably for cost reasons) moved to the internet and web based support as their primary focus. For good or for bad, that's just the way it is. Some will think this stinks, some (me) actually appreciate the immediacy of the information available from around the world.

I had an S-1000 autopilot that had a bad remote. I could not get an answer or phone service anywhere.

I stumbled upon the Raymarine technical community (http://raymarine.ning.com/) and was amazed. I asked a question, and in 24hrs I had a response from a real Raymarine technician. I went through their (online again) returns process, got regular updates (online) and got my unit repaired. Yeah, there was a bit of a learning curve, but it was very much worth the time.

The technical support forum is a WEALTH of information on everything from engines, to schematic diagrams, to networking.

More recently, prior to ordering a bunch of new components, I posted on the forum my system diagram proposal. Within 1 day, I got a response from Raymarine that everything was OK. You can see that activity here:

http://raymarine.ning.com/forum/topics/a98-network-connections-can-someone-confirm-my-interconnect?commentId=6492755%3AComment%3A232924

Again, good or bad, that's just the way the world is going.

I would maybe try signing up on the forum and asking there VERY POLITELY for any help with your situation. There are A LOT of helpful folks there, but they will quickly leave you out in the cold if you come in with a chip on your shoulder. If you can see your way clear to adopting a new way of operating, there are big benefits.

JMHO,
Ray

Never knew of the Ray Marine Technical Forum. I will pay them a visit and ask some questions regarding functionality of my system.

Tagged for reference
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flint, I had the same problem to start with as you on getting through to a Raymarine Tech when I had S1000 auto pilot problems last summer, then as Ray mentioned I contacted them through their Technical Forum, which I joined. After joining & asking for answers I was called fairly soon with all the help I needed to solve my problem, with Raymarine going well beyond my best expectations, which resulted in my writing the following on anther thread, I started here on the C-Brats.

"Raymarine really came through. I received a call from them today with results of their having checked out the S1000 brain controll & S100 wireless control with both checking out good. They also exchanged the Hy-Pro PR0612 pump, I had bought from that factory, straight across for an original Raymarine standard pump for the S1000. All this including return shipping with no charge to me with the added benefit of I now know for sure it was the pump not working properly instead of an electronic problem with either controls. Did I mention this is the 9th season on this unit & it's definitely been well used."

I might add they also sent me all new hoses & fittings at no charge. This was on a unit that I bought from them nine years ago.

Personally, I think Ray is on to something with his advise on how many companies are going to web based support, that is then followed up with telephone contact. At least I know in my case this time it ended up working out well for me.

Of course, I would rather start out with a quickly answered phone call when needing help from the manufacter, but anymore, like Ray stated, there are few if any you can readily access when needed by phone. Much of my electronics are Garmin & I've waited for some lengthy periods of time from them too with not always getting the help, I would have liked.

Jay

Flint

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Raymarine customer service Reply with quote

Up date on my problem with Raymarine customer service. To start with, there tech service has helped me in the past. They're the ones who said I had to send the chart plotter in for repair. After the first week repair said they were closed for a computer up date. The second week they said they were training their personnel how to use the new computers. Since than I haven't heard a work about the repair department or my chart plotter. I've emailed them and called them ever week with no answer. Go to Raymarine web sit and look at the reviews. I'm not the only one that has this problem.

That's my up date and I'm sticking to it. Just for fun. I'm working on five weeks now.
Flint

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Raymarine customer servce Reply with quote

Sorry, the reviews were on Raymarines face book page.
williwaw

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to hear this kind of thing. Fortunately here in Portland we've got a really great dealer with Rodger's Marine. You pay a wee bit more but you get really good support as you can just call them with questions.

If Raymarine is emphasizing web support then you should certainly express your discontent there as well. I agree it shouldn't be necessary but have you asked about status on the forums? Seems harder for them to ignore if everybody can see it.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear:

Quote:
".... Fortunately here in Portland we've got a really great dealer with Rodger's Marine. You pay a wee bit more but you get really good support as you can just call them with questions."

That would be Portland. Oregon. AND Yes, Rodgers Marine is very good, and they take good care of their customers. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: