The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

UFP torsion suspension, UFP Vault Hubs/Bearings, brakes ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: UFP torsion suspension, UFP Vault Hubs/Bearings, brakes ? Reply with quote

looking at buying a new 4000 lb single axle Tuff Trailer at a good price.

noticed the torsion suspension, disc brakes and vault hubs are made by UFP. (I see pacific trailers uses these currently)

Anyone have any experience good or bad and how long have you run these products?

thanks
Flint

City/Region: Marathon
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Grace Full
Photos: Grace Full
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: trailers Reply with quote

I have a 10,000 lbs. double axle Pacific trailer. It has the Vault hubs and I have not had any problems with it. I have towed my boat from Marathon, Fl. to Lake Powell and back with no problems. I have the hubs checked very year before I start towing long distances. I only have disc surge brakes at this time but over the winter I'm having electric over hydraulic disc brakes put on. I have a Venture 26ft. C-Dory that I tow.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my experience with the broken tongue on a single axle trailer rated at 5200 lbs, I would be very uncomfortable with a single axle trailer rated at 4,000 lbs. You have the trailer weight--difficult to envision a trailer weight at least than 800 lbs (even an aluminum--my 18 foot Caracal trailer weight is 890 lbs, single axle)

If you only want it as a "yard" trailer--that is where it is kept in a storage yard, and only to the ramp and back--a few hundred yards….OK..

But you are banking on your C Dory weight being less than 3200 lbs. I suspect that is going to be hard to achieve.

That does not mean that a single axle trailer will not be satisfactory--I got about 10,000 miles on the single axle C Dory trailer, before it failed--and I 10 is rough (but so is I 5)….I would want one rated at more than 4000 lbs

I got the build sheet on my "new" used tandem axle trailer--and it is rated at 7,000 lbs. Enough for the C Dory 22.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob, the 4000 lb trailer carries 4000 load capacity. it is not the GVW. I accept that some like to go with heavier trailers (you do a lot more miles than I do) but I would be happy with a 4000 lb load capacity. Currently my trailer is a King KR 3100 (came with the boat) . 3100 lb load capacity.

Calculated weight for my boat would be 3500 to 3700 lbs and I carry most of my gear in the truck. This trailer I am looking at is heavily built with 5" c-channels all welded and 5200 lb axle. Cost is a factor also.

Have you have any experience with UFP parts? I wonder if better or worse than tie down or kodiak.

Thanks tho.

Stefan
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stefan:

Thanks for the comment--and I don't know how things work in Canada--and if their definition is different than in the States:

Definition of GVW/VCWR:

Quote:
GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) is not a limit or specification. It is obtained when the fully loaded vehicle is driven onto a scale. The Gross Vehicle Weight, should not exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) or the vehicle’s warranty could be voided. Refer to the owner’s guide for the specific vehicle.

From Loadrite:

Quote:
To determine the load capacity requirement of your tow vehicle, refer to the Vehicle Identification Label attached to the trailer on the left frame rail just behind the tongue junction. It will display the maximum load-carrying capacity of the trailer. It is required to show the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) which is the load-carrying capacity plus the weight of the trailer itself. It is the trailer operator’s responsibility to ensure that the total weight of the boat, engine fuel, water, gear and trailer do not exceed the GVWR capacity.

From a tire site:

Quote:
The combined capacity of the tires must equal or exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of the axle.

Since this is scale weight--I have always considered this to include the trailer weight. I believe that this is Universal--at least in the states.

If your trailer has a load carrying capacity of 4000 lbs, which you think that it has, it is better.

To my knowledge I have not bought a UFP--but an axle or hub might be UFP specifically, and one would not know it.
NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: UFP torsion suspension, UFP Vault Hubs/Bearings, brakes Reply with quote

A Fishin C wrote:
looking at buying a new 4000 lb single axle Tuff Trailer at a good price.

noticed the torsion suspension, disc brakes and vault hubs are made by UFP. (I see pacific trailers uses these currently)

Anyone have any experience good or bad and how long have you run these products?

thanks

No experience with torsion axles or vault hubs, but I replaced my Pacific Trailer's ancient drum brakes with UFP disks, new UFP actuator, and thermoplastic brake lines a year ago. Towed the ~12K lb trailer about 5200 miles so far. The new brakes work wonderfully, even without electric over hydraulic.

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, what's a "thermoplastic brake line"? To me, thermoplastic means it's formed by heat and gives up the gohst when heated. Not what I'd want for a brake line, so I must not understand. P;ease educate me.

Boris
NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to Pacific Trailer's brake line info:

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/Thermo-Plastic-Trailer-Brake-Lines/

They're super easy to install.
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do have to watch for any brake line, but I had some tire monkey put a jack right under of a Thermoplastic brake line--and it had to be replaced (a trip to Pacific trailer to get a new part: fortunately we were only an hours drive away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: