View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Need trailer advice Reply with quote

Hi C Brats. I've come to the end of my rope on trailers and have tied a knot. Road Runner tandem with surge brakes. 22,000 miles of towing 4 years old. Maintained by Kal Tire here in Nanaimo and tire shops along our travels. Bearings done at least annually. For the 5th time at least, my wheels are all locked ON after launch, rinse and stored a few weeks. The last time it did this it was taken to Kal Tire on a flat bed truck. All brakes serviced all ok. A couple times since when locked up I got them free by banging on wheels. Today the thing won't budge, brakes serviced in August this year.
My confidence in this trailer is now gone. It would not do to come back to a frozen up trailer while out remote somewhere.
Do I convert this unit to disc brakes, toss this unit, buy a new trailer from Les at EQ and import it to Canada? Who makes the most reliable boat trailer? I want it. Thanks to all of you.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relatively limited salt water dunking experience here but....I have done a lot of brake jobs of vehicles old and new for more years than you might guess. The disc type is much easier to access in a pinch. You can often reach right into the caliper with a slotted screwdriver to unstick a pad and that alone makes then easier to live with. Never had one seize up that I couldn't easily reach and get moving again, at least for the moment. I know your pain with drums in general.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems odd that all the brakes would fail all at once. Sounds like a faulty signal from the surge hitch or something along those lines.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George, We now have the same milage as you on our EZ loader model TEZB 19-22/24, all trouble free, though I will be changing tires & bearings before our next spring Alaska trip. I bought this made in 2007 year trailer as new in 2010 & before purchase had the dealer make sure it was equipped with electric over hydraulic disk brakes, torsion bar axels, oil bath hubs standard, boat guides & C rated tires that gives it a carrying weight of 4700 pounds & gross weight of trailer & boat of 5900 pounds, which gives all the weight latitude needed to not worry about weight added to the boat on the road. You could purchase a similar trailer for a good deal of $'s or just have the brake's converted if the rest of your present trailer has been ok for you.

Jay

srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George,
My EZ-Loader under my C-Dory also had similar problems. I use the trailer so infrequently, that it only exasperates the brake freeze-up problems. Last year I bit the bullet and ordered and installed disc brakes with a new coupler (with solenoid already installed). The installation took me a total of 3 hours and now I could not be happier. The trailer tows and brakes wonderfully. I was so happy with the change, that I did the same thing to my Pacific trailer for my Corsair trimaran several months ago... Again about 3 hours to make the change and it tows wonderfully.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thought is that if there are no issues with the frame and geometry, you might just upgrade systems. That's what I did when I bought my boat (trailer was good design but had original systems which were old/neglected). I put on all new brakes, lines, coupler, bunks, lights, winch, bearings, tires and probably more that I'm forgetting. Thing is, in many (most?) cases I used better components than might have come on a new trailer. Kodiak disc brakes, Timken Bearings, cypress bunks/monel staples, non-steel brake lines (hoses), LED lights, better wiring, heftier winch, etc. etc.

Just something to consider if you like the frame/geometry etc. on your trailer.
Lost Petrel

City/Region: Potter Valley
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Wild Blue
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
One thought is that if there are no issues with the frame and geometry, you might just upgrade systems. That's what I did when I bought my boat (trailer was good design but had original systems which were old/neglected). I put on all new brakes, lines, coupler, bunks, lights, winch, bearings, tires and probably more that I'm forgetting. Thing is, in many (most?) cases I used better components than might have come on a new trailer. Kodiak disc brakes, Timken Bearings, cypress bunks/monel staples, non-steel brake lines (hoses), LED lights, better wiring, heftier winch, etc. etc.

Just something to consider if you like the frame/geometry etc. on your trailer.

That is what I am doing with Wild Blue's trailer. 8 years old and has been sitting out in Anacortes for the last 1 1/2 years, everything is quite corroded on the brake system.
I just ordered 4 new Kodiak disc brake kits and new flexible lines from Eastern Marine Trailer Superstore for $823 delivered here out west. I suspect the bearings are not Timken and will have to decide about that when they get here, those at least should be available locally.

http://lostpetrel.blogspot.com/
Other boats;
Cape Dory Typhoon
Pearson Ariel
My Galleries
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might talk to the guys who serviced the trailer. Since it came in on another trailer, I assume they did see the brakes were locked. What did they have to do to get the trailer off the trailer and unlock the brakes?

If nothing, then suspect the hydraulics, which would have a chance to bleed down/off until it got to the repair shop. If that's what the problem is, try a new surge brake assembly. Beats going to disk, though I love disk brakes.

If they said that the drums were stuck, then consider an upgrade. Drums have been used for years, no obvious reason why they should lock up. There's no metal to metal contact between the linings and drums.

The tire shop are the ones who got it working. What did they have to do?

Boris
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost Petrel wrote:

I just ordered 4 new Kodiak disc brake kits and new flexible lines ... I suspect the bearings are not Timken and will have to decide about that when they get here, those at least should be available locally.

That's what I got and, indeed, the bearings that came with them were no-names. No way for me to know the quality level. So I took them along to a bearing house and got the corresponding Timken/made in USA ones, which I am comfortable with. I put the Timkens on the trailer and consigned the others to the spares pile.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Need trailer advice Reply with quote

If you are going to continue to trailer for longer trips I would say go with Kodiak disc brakes and electric over hydraulic. It's so much better. Our trailer is an 2009 and we use it mostly to launch in salt water. I'd guess it has close to 40,000 miles on it. I service the wheel bearings, clean and repack with grease, replace grease seals and replace the brake pads annually just for good measure. It takes 1990 Chevy Cavalier front brake pads. Still on the original wheel bearings. We have Kodiak brakes and probably next year I will replace the rotors. But the Kodiak's have worked flawlessly with no parts replaced except for some rubber coated brake lines that got chaffed from rubbing. I upgraded my electric over hydraulic to a 1600 psi unit. Our brakes never worked better. Remember you'll never see a Brinks truck in heaven. I'd get your trailer serviced and sell it. Then order one with all the right stuff from the gitgo.
I'd recommend the torsion bar type suspension with radial tires and get the tires balanced.They ride better. Kodiak brakes with the Dacromet coating on the rotors and calipers or just go all stainless$ and the electric over hydraulic 1600 psi electric brake controller unit.WWW.trailerpartssuperstore.com Type in Kodiak brakes in the product search data field. If you like your trailer then just get the upgrade to Kodiak brakes with either Dacromet coating or stainless with electric over hydraulic 1600 psi unit. Drum brakes and salt water are just plain bad medicine. Been there done that. JMHO
D.D.

ghone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks so much people. We're all in the same boat (literally) when it comes to trailers! Likely I need to go see Les at EQ and get a new King trailer with the works. On this trailer I only know that it was dragged off the flatdeck at the repair yard and the mechanic had some fun getting the drums off. Heat and beat. Obviously disc is preferred over drum and electric/hyd over surge. Thanks so much for the info people. C brats are the best. Will keep you posted.
George
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was also my year for trailer woes also. failed hub, bearing and broken trailing arm on torsion suspension. Fixed by Kal tire only for the brake and bearing to fail again in 2 months. Kal tire replaced all parts new under warranty brakes, hubs. I had a tandem King trailer that I really liked on my last boat. Available from EQ but not in Canada.

Sherwood Marine sells Tuff Trailers they look OK. The Roadrunners don't seem to be as well made as they used to be, but they are the cheapest.

Sounds like your best option is to replace your brakes on the Roadrunner if the rest is satisfactory.
williwaw

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As suggested you definitely need disc brakes - the question is whether a new trailer comes with them or not Smile

I'm with Hunkydory on the electric-over-hydraulic (EoH) brakes, unless I suppose, you have a massive tow vehicle. Our 23 Venture is pushing 6000 lbs loaded and despite twin axle disc brakes I do not feel confident that a panic stopping situation would end happily. Let alone the fact that when you back down a steep ramp you only have the truck brakes.

So I'm gather the EoH components to do the conversion now. The Titan BrakeRite II components cost about $900. Pacific trailer makes a nice mounting stand to hang all the components on (http://www.pacifictrailers.com/Custom-Mounting-Stand-for-Titan-Brake-Rite-Actuators/). I was quoted $2400 by a local shop to do the conversion so I imagine adding it as an option to a new trailer would be somewhere in between.
ghone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I have a bunch of calls out so should be hearing some things today. I'm thinking my surge coupler is bad, and pulled the brakes on while stored. There is zero slack at the coupler, not even a wiggle. It seems odd. To convert to disc needs a new coupler anyway if I do surge disc or eoh Thanks for the cheer up folks. I'm in good company anyway. George
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to replace the coupler/master cylinder on my Magic Tilt trailer last summer. It was about $165.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: