thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how we got to coolers--that is another subject. The coleman Extremes have had excellent ratings. The average ambient temp at Powell in the last week has been about 15 degrees cooler than earlier in Sept. Big difference. Yes, most of us put wet towels/bedspreads over the coolers to use the evaporative cooling effect.

Back to the subject. The LED temp is up to 24 constantly and now the compressor is running about 50%. The alcohol temperature is staying at 13 to 14 degrees, and the IR temp on the top of the ice is 14 degrees. The i/O thermometer is reading about 12 degrees. (this is an alcohol tube type of garden thermometer, and not easy to read).

The problem is the reading of the thermistor/sensor/LCD read out, and probably this is effecting the run time. Most likely we had the real temp in the freezer at Powell close to zero F. or even lower. We will next test the temperature when running at temperatures in the mid 30's--or refrigerator.

If I cannot get the sensor fixed, I can still use the unit and set the temperature accordingly--using a thermometer to measure the temp.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Not sure how we got to coolers--that is another subject.

Sorry Embarassed I guess it started with ice box/built in design, then someone else said they might as well buy ice anyway since they stop for fuel, and then I ran with it. Mea Culpa. Since I haven't even run my CF-50 yet, I had no business posting.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Freezer/refridgerators, portable Reply with quote

[quote="thataway"]Dave,
Part of the issue, is that ice is not good quality on Powell, and lasts 3 to 4 days max, even with good coolers (of course, we are in and out, putting in beer etc.). In our case we have a high end ice chest, and keep a wet white bed spread over the cooler, to help keep the temp down, and decrease the ice usage".

Dr. Bob,
I'm just guessing that this might have been reason the poster brought up coolers. As an aside the ARB units are reported to have a three year warranty.
D.D.

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Freezer/Refrigerators, portable Reply with quote

Will-C wrote:
After reading this I'm likely to keep buying ice at the marinas. I have to stop every couple days for gas if we are on the run anyway. 800 dollars buys a lot of ice, no tech line needed. Plus no battery worries from refridge draw. Cancel the solar panels also. We use the resulting water for the dog drinking water anyway.
D.D.

For those who have not been to Powell, it may be difficult to understand what the problem there is--and why one might want a freezer or a refrigerator. Basically there are only 3 places to get ice on Lake Powell. One is Wahweap, or Antalope at the "bottom" of the lake, where many put in. The other is about 40 miles up the lake at Dangling Rope--one time then only 3 blocks of ice left. The 3rd is Halls/Bullfrog, at mile 100, and where some others put in. So it is not as though one runs by a marina each day, or even every other day.

For example we spent 4 days up in the San Juan Arm. We would have liked to spent more time. We had plenty of fuel, and water, but had to run almost 100 miles to get ice. The freezer had main entrees for a month, and that was not a problem. Sure, I have done back packing for weeks, with dehydrated foods, and that is an option, but not our choice currently. Thus we are considering a second compressor run chest to use as a refrigerator on Powell.

I can get a 80 quart Dometic for $749, or a 110 quart for $789. The ARB is $1229.(with a 3 year warrantee) My Norcolds lasted 15 and 20 years--(but that may not be the average). There is even a better one: The National Luna--currently the closest available to the above is a 90 liter unit, and it is $2600! Are these pricey, and luxury items?--absolutely. But at a certain point in life they may be "worth" it.

there are several reasons, as well as price I choose the WAECO/Dometic. Part was the excellent reputation of WAECO--may not hold true now..The units handles are easily detachable--taking less space. The shell is a rugged plastic, rather than steel--which I have had rust in previous units. I liked the design and features.

Is the ARB better than the Dometic? Probably. As for power use--Pat Anderson can address that. My impression was that it was more than advertised.

Last night over 12 hours, with an internal freezer temp of 28 degrees, the current draw was 0.8 amps per hour. (about what we would expect from the ARB). Granted this test was a long way from conditions at Powell when we were there (but fairly close to what Powell is currently).

One thing we do not know is how the current draw tests may have been done on 12 volts: Many times this is using a 13.8 volt power supply--a bit different than the boat battery which will run from 12.7 to 12.2 volts. This may be one factor which accounts for the difference between advertised 12 volt draw and actual 12 volt draw.

An excellent review of various units is at:
http://expeditionportal.com/overland-journal-portable-12v-fridge-review/
They used basically the same battery I am drawing. (Group 31 AGM).
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional details. Holding frozen food for over a week on a small boat is not a trivial task. I may get to that point in a few years, health holding. For now 3-5 days will suffice - that is a trivial problem.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more research and finally finding a local tech who was kind enough to work witth me (even though he has never seen one of these units)-and will order the part from Dometic. (But it is also on line for $18 to $25.) This is a known and fairly common problem on these units. In fact WAECO was including two of the Thermistors in the units, until bought out by Dometic. You could just switch out the plugs--cost about $2.50 to Dometic! Unfortunately mine only has the original, so I will have to replace it, or just put one inside of the freezer box…There are a number of "solutions" on the internet.

Dometic was no help. After describing the issues, and asking for a tech to reply, I got this:
Quote:
My apologies, but unfortunately we do not have any technicians on staff for the retail customer. I have tried looking a bit in your area for possible service centers you could contact for possible repairs. I've listed them below.

Of the 15 names and numbers I have from Dometic (on line, phone call and e-mail. 10 were more than 50 miles away, 5 were in our area. In our area, 3 were out of business, one was a person I deal with regularly, and he refers his refrigeration business out--no clue as to who does this work. The other is a tech who I am talking to. The others, 5 were out of business, and the others did not work on the chest type unit--didn't even know they existed! Terrible customer service.

I also found out that some folks have modified the fans and routing of the cooling flow. This is one way I will go. I did check the connections in the circuit board and they seemed to be good. Next week, I'll take the fan/compressor section apart, and probably put in a new thermistor...
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, it is frustrating when you pay big $ for something and it develops a problem just after the warranty runs out. Years ago I bought a Dometic camp refrigerator at my neighbors garage sale. Paid $30. for it and I can't kill it! I have no idea how old it is but it was made in Luxembourgh and supplied by Euroclean Canada. It is a 3 way model # RC160. Claims to draw .65amp on 120v and 6.5amp on 12v. From my experience it uses about one pound of propane per day. The absorption refer units take longer to cool down the contents but after that I have found them very efficient.

Sounds like you have done the research but here are 2 sites that I found.
CUSTOMERSUPPORTCENTER@DOMETICUSA.COM
AND
DOMETIC.JUSTANSWER.COM/

Regards, Rob

P.S. There is also a website where you can punch in your model # and it will check if there has been any recalls on it.

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob. I have had some Dometic products in the past which were great. But I also had a high end ($6,500) 14 cu ft adsorption Refrigerator/freezer in the RV--which just did not work well--replaced with a $1000 Sansumg dual compressor unit, which works better than the home unit.

The customer support site is where I got the bad information--with the exception of the one tech, who is helpful. The "Just ask" is simplistic, and not actually a Dometic site. No recalls on this unit.

There is one resource I have used with other companies, and that is "Investor Relations" I have found that a well worded letter on my company letterhead, often gets good results. I may try this down the line, as I see what develops.

Sunbeam:
Quote:
I recently bought a CF-50 on the closeout sale. The new models look nice, but most sizes aren't available here yet from what I could see (only found the really small and really large), and it looks like they no longer have Danfoss compressors.... so who knows if they are better or worse... ("genuine Waeco compressors" now).

Not sure what you mean by the "Close out sale"--since the CF 50 seems to be still offered. The only change from my 2 year old unit and the current units are a "Turbo" quick chill function. (Perhaps yours like mine does not have the quick chill) However, the compressor in my unit is a Danfoss compressor (BD35F)--I just checked that out visually. I also checked the Dometic web site which also confirms that the current CF 50 has a Danfoss compressor. I should have checked this out earlier. Also the CF110 and CF 80 which would be the next one I would buy, if I stay with Dometic, are shown too have Danfoss Compressors (BD50F).
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob!
Sorry that unit is not performing right for you.

At last years Apalachicola gathering, when I asked you about any 'preventive maintenance' I could pay a pro for, for the RV Coleman rooftop AC and it's 1 year warranty, you sort of implied (as I recollect, and my memory is not that sharp any more), that it's 'sort of a disposable unit that you replace rather than repair' for $800. As I get more experience with these issues, I now agree with you 100%.

Although it's very annoying when a $1000 item has a 12 month warranty (2 yrs for yours) and it fails like it it has a timer on it, I get irritated too. The $1000 windlass and $2000 Garmin MFD have only 12 month warranties with absurd limitations.

Just as a boating philosophy question...why is your Dometic fridge any different than your Coleman rooftop AC in being a disposable unit engineered to last not much more than its warranty?

Hyundai replaced our 2012 Genesis 5.0 entire wiper motor when it would intermittently fail to work, and the entire Lexicon stereo amp when the stereo would intermittently refuse to turn on, even when neither could be demonstrated to the service manager. If only boat dealers could work like that!

Thanks for the great link to the article comparing these type units; I would never have found that!

Where can I get me a 80 Qt Dometic for $749? that sounds like a steal!

Thanks for your willingness to share your vast experience! We Brats don't thank you enough!

Cheers!
John

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

Not sure what you mean by the "Close out sale"--since the CF 50 seems to be still offered.

Well, PPL and some other places had them on sale. And I saw that in Australia they now seem to sell mainly the new CFX model, and some places here sell th CFX as well, but only the small or large ones, not the medium size I wanted. They look beefier (not sure if they actually are or not) and have "modern" features (I don't need) such as a USB port. The compressor in the new ones no longer says it is Danfoss but "genuine Waeco." If the lid were beefier and I could have got one in the size I wanted I probably would have gone for one of those.

I also looked at the National Luna. But places I called were either out of stock or said they were dropping the line due to stocking difficulties - so for that and various other reasons I decided that the sale-priced "seems to be on its way to being a previous model but maybe I'm wrong on that" CF-50 was worth a try. I reasoned that I may change my mind on size or type anyway after using one, so start with the less expensive one and see how I like it.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Good point. The difference I see is that for the most part the RV air conditioners last years, running almost full time. (I have never had to replace one). The current two units on our RV run almost full time--and are 7 years old now; so that would be $100 a year…or less than $10 a month. It may well be that all of these things last longer if you use them full time. Sorry if you are having any issues with your boat AC unit. I did have to replace a couple of capacitors after lightning strikes nearby. The problem with the air conditioners, as with any sealed compressor, is if you have to replace the compressor, it will cost almost as much as the original unit. Talking to the tech about my freezer today, he mentioned this mentality: If the estimate is over $125 most people would rather buy a new unit, than repair an older unit--so you are not alone. But I agree warrantees should be longer and more comprehensive!

There are a couple of things that we all should do for the RV AC units--that is clean the inside filter frequently (wash in water and dry), and clean the cooling fins and fan on the roof. Have to pull the cover to do that.

I think that the Dometic (WAECO) Freezer/refrigerator is a good unit mostly because of the Danfoss compressor. The problem is not the compressor, but is a cheap electronic component--which cost initially is in the several dollar range. It should be made more reliable--but apparently is not….If it was Mil Spec, I suspect it would be. I'll guess it was made in China…

Dometic CF 80 at PPL RV supplies in Houston is $749. Here is the link:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-refrigerators/portable-freezers.htm Adventure RV also has the $749 price. I have also had good service from Adventure.

I have used PPL for many years, and they have had good service and good to deal with.

For items like this, Camping World, Defender, Amazom etc are often going to be more expensive.

Last edited by thataway on Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
J

I have used PPL for many years, and they have had good service and good to deal with.

Agreed on that. The CF-50 is the first thing I have ordered from them, and the one I got was defective. (I never even turned it on; the rear wall was bulged in such that you practically had to put your foot on the rim to force the basket in and out.)

PPL immediately sent me a new one, no "challenge" questions asked (they actually empathized with me vs. the annoying-but-all-too-common "Oh we've never had anyone else complain..."). They even sent it out before I sent back the defective one. This worked well as I had thrown away the box (kind of big to store on a C-Dory) and thus was able to send the defective one back in the box the replacement unit came in (with a call tag they e-mailed to me). So thumbs up for PPL (great price and inexpensive shipping as well).
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam, I don't think that the PPL is "closeout", since the CF series is still listed as current.

What is interesting, is that WAECO still seems to exist as a subsection of Dometic in much of the World--but in the US, it is just Dometic. I am not sure that the CFX line is available in the US--it comes in the mid size, but available in Australia, Orient, GB etc--but not sure about the US.

CFX: 35, 40, 50, & 65 Quart sizes.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I am not sure that the CFX line is available in the US--it comes in the mid size, but available in Australia, Orient, GB etc--but not sure about the US.

CFX: 35, 40, 50, & 65 Quart sizes.

I found them in the US, but only in the smallest and the largest size, and I wanted something around 45-50. Sounds like I may be wrong about the CF being on the way out - I shouldn't have inferred.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought our ARB 50 quart fridge/freezer from lowrangeoffroad.com, it was $835, free shipping and no tax. We are very happy with it. Looking at the specs on this site, it says average power consumption 0.7 to 2.3 amp hours. This is a little different that what we originally read, which was 1.35 amp hours. But it is still very good any way you slice it. At Powell, we were definitely at the high end - but then, temps were very high there, and we had it set at 15 degrees. It kept everything in it frozen solid. Our solar panels were close to keeping up during the daytime but not quite. I think we ran our Honda 2000 generator only once over 14 days, although we also charged by running the outboard when we ran to Dangling Rope for ice for the Pelican cooler. Like Bob says, the ice at Powell is low quality, two blocks lasted about four to five days in the Pelican (not bad actually). We do see a Honda 1000 in our future, smaller and lighter than the 2000, to bridge any gap between solar panel production and power consumption!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: