City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
My problem is that if I don't watch the tank filling I end up with a shot of gas coming out of the filler hole when the tank gets near full even though the nozzle kicks off automatically. Happens when I fill manually as well unless I am very careful.

http://www.tgmmarine.com/nospills/pages/product001.html

for those who are too lazy to hold up a pad under the vent (people such as myself)

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

What a great set of comments to read today. Ray, the illustration is great, thanks. I do have the 10 micron filter (Racor S3240) (plus the internal Yamaha one).

Ray and Jay: I think you're right about soloing. I have mostly double-handed (on anything larger than a kayak or skiff), and although when underway offshore it is pretty much like shifts of single-handing (watches) it's still not the same - plus there are always tasks that "the other person" does, it seems (even if you try to make sure everyone knows how to do everything). Or things that you just naturally do using two people if you can (such as anchoring) because why wouldn't you.

Actually one of the reasons I got the C-Dory has to do with that. Back in the day, I used to whitewater kayak, and that was always done in your own boat but with a group of folks (in their own boats). Always seemed like the perfect combination to me. (Not that I mind company on the 22 either.) Reading C-Brats and Bill and El's web pages before buying, I could that the C-Dory gang is one that gets out and does things, and goes all over the place. Now I just need to make it to a few (more) CBGT (have been to two at Powell, but not this year).

Will-C: Oh geez, I always do worry about those foil top thingies, and try to really get them all off of the container before putting anything in, but I can see how that could have happened. Now my possible "fluff" doesn't seem so bad (at least it would not be likely to get stuck in an elbow).

Brent: I'm going to try the dissolve experiment when I get back ashore, because I wonder what this fuel diaper is made of - my other ones have never acted so "cottony" and shed like this. It shouldn't dissolve, but let's find out!

On the possible spilling: For me it isn't the vents, but rather that if I get going too fast - especially toward the end (full), it will come back out the fill. Now, that hasn't happened since the first or second time, when I just started pumping it in like it was a car (now I go much slower), but I just like to have a fuel diaper to hand on principle. In addition to going more slowly, I also now point the curve of the nozzle aft, to best match the fuel hose. If I were re-doing my fill hoses again (or ever do), I think I would make a small "tunnel" in the port lazarette, as the way it is built that lazarette causes the port side filler hose to take a dog leg (so that one has to go slower).

Another thing I noticed (because I can see my fuel tanks right where the filler goes in) is that the fuel really "turbulates" as it goes in. Especially as the tank gets full, the new fuel hits the surface and really gets moving around. I think that is what makes it come back out the filler hole if one does not slow down -- at least on my boat.

I installed the Attwood fuel vents that are like mini dorades inside - I don't know if that helps it not come out the vent, or if it's just because I fill slowly now. At any rate, no more "cottony" fuel diapers for me. I will be sure not to buy any of those again (it's quite obvious just by looking at them).

Speaking of being able to see the tank: When I put in my new tanks, they are the 23-gallon ones used currently on the 22's, and they are flush with (inset slightly) the splashwell. So I planned to install the gelcoated fiberglass covers with the viewing slots (in 2002 the as-built tanks came a bit forward of the splashwell, so they didn't have that style covers). Well I got them all cut and mostly set up, but hadn't installed them (the covers), so I just made some navy canvas panels (Wal-mart "canvas") and hung them on dowels that are held up with zip ties. I just wanted to keep the UV off the tanks. As it turns out they are so darned handy that I might just make nicer ones. I find it convenient to just be able to flip one up when I'm filling (that's how I know the fuel "turbulates" right under the filler neck as it goes in), and just to be able to easily access the area above the tanks. The gelcoated panels do look good, but then these panels don't look bad either, and they aren't even nice Sunbrella (plus I have a cooler and other stuff in front of them anyway). At any rate, the jury is out on the gelcoated panels for now.

Thanks again for the replies everyone Thumbs Up
williwaw

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I ran into was check valve clogging at the tank. I had removed the fuel sensors and found the PO had used regular silicone sealer at some point in the past. So when I removed the sensor on each tank unknown to me some of the clear silicone dropped into the tanks.

Later, of course, I was out running around when the motor stopped. I noticed the bulb was flat but LUCKILY I had the tools on board to remove the check value an clear the blockage (happened on both tanks).

I gotta admit, though, I was a bit confused until I noticed the flat bulb. Just something to keep in mind.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmetzenberg wrote:
ssobol wrote:
My problem is that if I don't watch the tank filling I end up with a shot of gas coming out of the filler hole when the tank gets near full even though the nozzle kicks off automatically. Happens when I fill manually as well unless I am very careful.

http://www.tgmmarine.com/nospills/pages/product001.html

for those who are too lazy to hold up a pad under the vent (people such as myself)

In my case the fuel does not come out the vent. It fountains out of the filler neck. Nothing comes out of the vent. The vents seem to be working because I don't get any vacuum locks in the tank as it empties.

This can occur whether I fill and an auto gas station or a fuel dock, so it is not likely due to the pump.
Bill K

City/Region: Toledo
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: NIC'L PIC'L
Photos: NIC'L PIC'L
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at your vent lines, they make inline devices that stop the gas from coming out of the vent while filling.
You may have one of these in your vent lines.

Bill Kelleher

"In my case the fuel does not come out the vent. It fountains out of the filler neck. Nothing comes out of the vent. The vents seem to be working because I don't get any vacuum locks in the tank as it empties.

This can occur whether I fill and an auto gas station or a fuel dock, so it is not likely due to the pump.[/quote]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: