View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Leveling a tandem axle trailer Reply with quote

So I bought a new tow vehicle and have been trying to get the trailer level with the new hitch. The old tow vehicle had Autoride suspension and the hitch height was lower so it just auto leveled. The new hitch needs a 5" rise and still doesn't quite level the trailer. At this level if I open the tailgate it will hit the ball latch on the trailer. At the back of the trailer I am 21" off the ground and at the front I am 19-3/4" off the ground. How level does everyone run their trailers? The trailer tows great at this position. I would like to move it to 4" so I don't hit the latch but I can live with 5". What does everyone think?

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody, our "new" trailer is about 2" off level (from front to back of the trailer)--and we have towed it over 4,000 miles this summer. I carefully watched the tire pressures, tire temperatures (sensors on the valve stems constantly monitored in the RV, as well as the hub temperatures every two hours. There is no unusual wear on the tire tread, or different in running temperatures or pressures in the tires. So I have assumed that it is OK with that much out of level.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a longer draw bar for the hitch ball.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread. I knew tandems were supposed to be level, but had no idea "how level." On my previous tow vehicle it just happened to come out perfectly level with a fairly run of the mill rise drawbar on my first try - beginner's luck! Then this spring I started towing with a new rig, and it was not quite level. Not knowing for sure how important it was, I erred on the side of caution and made sure it was pretty much exactly level (used a level on the frame plus measured from frame to level concrete). This time I used a combination of a typical "rise" drawbar and a special ball that has a built in 1" rise to the shank. Reason I went that way is that it worked better with the features on the back of the tow rig than a drawbar with more rise would have - it was an option I didn't know existed previously. Don't know if that would help your situation or not, but figured I'd mention it (there was one with a 2" rise also).
jkidd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob that's good news is your new trailer a torsion axel ?

Ssobol I might consider a longer draw bar but adding 18" of length reduces the capacity by half and will put more stress on the receiver.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is only conjecture (I like thinking about how things work), but I wonder if the temperatures of the tires and hubs would be a good indicator? I'm thinking that being off level puts a bit more load on one axle than the other, but if there is no extra heat maybe it's not too much? In other words, I'm trying to think what problem there could be that would *not* show itself as more heat. Maybe there is something though (and I have springs so don't know about how tandem/torsion would fare).
jkidd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam I could see where the longer ball could come in handy. The longer ball would allow me to adjust the hitch down but would have the same ball height. I would still have interference problem. Where your trailer has springs there is a pivot between the two axles that equalizes the load. On the torsion axle you don't have this. I guess the only way to know for sure would be to get weights on all four tires. Measuring the trailer at the front and back is going to be much more pronounced than getting the measurements right at the axle positions. My mind says I will have more load on the front wheels just don't know how much. Monitoring the tempratures is just a good practice to know your safe. My trailer has always wore one tire kind of funny off the inside edge. When I raise it up one inch it moved from the left rear to the right front.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd wrote:
Sunbeam I could see where the longer ball could come in handy. The longer ball would allow me to adjust the hitch down but would have the same ball height. I would still have interference problem.

I kind of thought so, but I couldn't totally visualize your setup. It did work out nicely in my case, allowing me to get the trailer tongue up where I wanted it without the whole drawbar coming up.

jkidd wrote:
Where your trailer has springs there is a pivot between the two axles that equalizes the load. On the torsion axle you don't have this.

Ah, okay, I see. I've only had a single axle torsion trailer (camper not boat), and I thought there was something with tandem/torsion but couldn't remember what it was.
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam, you are correct. Too high and the rear tires will show inside edge wear. Too low and the front tires will show inside edge wear. ...at least that's what I experienced during the first couple of years towing 'Naknek.

Naknek's trailer was supplied with tandem bias-ply tires (not radials). As a result I noticed an increased amount of tire edge wear during the first five thousand miles of towing. At 5000 I swapped the tires and began searching for the cause. I checked with the manufacturer, and was told that ideally the trailer would be within 1/2" of level. I did the necessary measurements and got it pretty close. The manufacturer also HIGHLY recommended radial tires. (I asked "if it's so important, why don't you install radials initially?" Answer: "...it's a marketing-thing.")

I did the leveling and swap-to-radial tires at the same time, so I really don't know what was major 'fix, but it worked. My guess is that radial tires was the major factor, but getting the trailer as level as possible is still a good idea.

Jody - interesting issue with the hitch clearance. I can visualize the problem but don't see an easy work around. If you opt to go with an extended coupler it may not be a 'fatal issue. When I had the F350 the camper overhang required a 4' (yes, four FOOT) extender to reach from beneath the overhang. With lateral bracing on the extender it was Very solid and had no adverse impact on towing or handling.

Good luck

Best,
C&M*
*Overlooking the "Southern Ocean."

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey wrote:

Naknek's trailer was supplied with tandem bias-ply tires (not radials). The manufacturer also HIGHLY recommended radial tires. (I asked "if it's so important, why don't you install radials initially?"

Ha, good one! Nothing like a snappy statement of the obvious (vs. thinking of the good replies later on.... Angry)

While I didn't know how important it was to get the trailer perfectly level, I figured it couldn't hurt, and it wasn't difficult in my case, so I did. So far, so good (as always with trailers though, knock on galvanizing...)

Casey wrote:
*Overlooking the "Southern Ocean."

Ooooh, nifty! Thumbs Up
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the new tow vehicle and how much drop in the rear do you see when you hook up the trailer?
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody, I have torsion axles. The tires are Trail America: Bias, Size: ST205/75D14 (F78-14) Load Range: C. PSI: 50 Load Capacity: 1,760 lbs. each. (I had just replaced the old trailer tires with radials. but a different size--and had to take what the trailer shop had it stock on the Friday night we did the exchange…)

I am running the current tires at 50 lbs, (measured with analogue dial gauge, confirmed by the pressure sensor) go up to about 55 lbs when running, temp is rarely more than 10 degrees over ambient.

I just measured the tread with a micrometer to give a more accurate picture: outer tread on spare: .229 in. outer tread on rt. front .195in, lft. front .201in. on rt rear .110 in and lft rear is .184, so the right rear is wearing significantly more than the other tires. The inner tread on all of the tires is worn less than outer, but I did not measure the inner. Currently the trailer is about 2" higher in the front, putting more load on the rear tires. Not sure why more on the right--than left--but have to assume it is either load, or minor misalignment of the axle (I did not measure that yet. I will weigh the trailer, but it will be without the boat, for registration. I have a number of other hitches at home, and we will be sure it is closer to level in the future.

On the 25 trailer, we went from bias to radial tires, and made sure the trailer was level (with bubble level, truck loaded--adjustable hitch, which was part of the equalizer bar package).
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duplicate post
jkidd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
What is the new tow vehicle and how much drop in the rear do you see when you hook up the trailer?

GMC 1500 355HP 9900lbs Tow

It sits down on the overloads rear fender is about an inch higher than the front. It can all be solve by putting air bags on. I was just trying to avoid that.
jkidd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Jody, I have torsion axles. The tires are Trail America: Bias, Size: ST205/75D14 (F78-14) Load Range: C. PSI: 50 Load Capacity: 1,760 lbs. each. (I had just replaced the old trailer tires with radials. but a different size--and had to take what the trailer shop had it stock on the Friday night we did the exchange…)

I am running the current tires at 50 lbs, (measured with analogue dial gauge, confirmed by the pressure sensor) go up to about 55 lbs when running, temp is rarely more than 10 degrees over ambient.

I just measured the tread with a micrometer to give a more accurate picture: outer tread on spare: .229 in. outer tread on rt. front .195in, lft. front .201in. on rt rear .110 in and lft rear is .184, so the right rear is wearing significantly more than the other tires. The inner tread on all of the tires is worn less than outer, but I did not measure the inner. Currently the trailer is about 2" higher in the front, putting more load on the rear tires. Not sure why more on the right--than left--but have to assume it is either load, or minor misalignment of the axle (I did not measure that yet. I will weigh the trailer, but it will be without the boat, for registration. I have a number of other hitches at home, and we will be sure it is closer to level in the future.

On the 25 trailer, we went from bias to radial tires, and made sure the trailer was level (with bubble level, truck loaded--adjustable hitch, which was part of the equalizer bar package).

Thanks for all the details. I can see if I want it to be truly level that I will have to put air bags on it. That doesn't really bother me I was just trying to avoid it if I could. If I put the air bags on I can just set the rise to 3 inches and adjust the air to get me level. I know I see people that are towing out of level all the time and was just wondering what everyones experiences were if they did that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: