starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like everyone is doing well. I took my buddies sled to the deception pass bridge for two days this week. Its a great place to fish for coho. 2 to 3 hours before the out going tide stops and changes to incoming is the window. No downriggers are needed but you could use them. Just a 3 to 5 ounce banana weight , sometimes called a mooching weight, tied to 3 feet of line tied to a dodger ( not a flasher, for those that do not know a dodger swings back and forth in the water a flasher rotates in a circle ) six feet of line and then the lure of your choice. 99% are using plug cut herring . I use sardine in a bait head. I will also be trying a brads cut plug herring lure next time.

Heres a video of the action, Not taken by me but I saw this guy out there filming. He has a lot of clips on you tube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEBj65w2EUM&index=2&list=UUTAeX9P0WWDvWBrE_RCLNqQ

Its close up fishing but every one seems friendly and works together. You just hold the wall, or as close as the other boats allow you to get to the walk, for the most part and then as the tide starts to go slack every one spreads out and circles west then north to the middle then to the bridge then to the wall and repeat.

thursday we landed one, our first day, saturday we landed 3 and lost 2 and had a seal take another at the boat as i was netting the fish. An one interested in a seal coat?? Twisted Evil

sunday I was down at possession with byrdman on the susan e but we only had two take downs that hooked up and we lost both. One right at the boat. Pat almost got a flashed in the forehead when the hook came out.

If anyone wants to fish the bridge in there boat call me. I will bring the gear. the 27 is in the water in everett while trailer is being worked on ( will it would be worked on if I ever worked on it.

tcr_pnw

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Photos: Sea Star
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
Troy - just out of interest, what hooks are you using for your hootchie rigs and how do you tie them. I usually use either Owner or Gamakatsu hooks (Owner are more expensive but are stronger, Gamakatsu is fine for coho). I use a 4/0 on the front and a 3/0 on the rear. I tie them about as close together as I reasonably can and I tie them with the hooks facing in opposite directions. I almost never lose a fish on that rig unless the leader breaks.

Hey Roger, I use Gamakatsu hooks primarily but have a few set up with stainless steel Mustad hooks; they seem to stay sharper longer. I tie them in a standard mooching leader setup with the hooks close together. I haven't changed how I've rigged things over last season and lost hardly any fish at all then. If the down rigger clip released, the fish was usually in the net. Rarely even a short strike.

Double 3/0 hooks has been what I used primarily but new leaders are going 4/0 or even 5/0.

So you run the hooks in opposite directions, huh? How does that setup benefit over a standard rig?
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcr_pnw wrote:
rogerbum wrote:
Troy - just out of interest, what hooks are you using for your hootchie rigs and how do you tie them. I usually use either Owner or Gamakatsu hooks (Owner are more expensive but are stronger, Gamakatsu is fine for coho). I use a 4/0 on the front and a 3/0 on the rear. I tie them about as close together as I reasonably can and I tie them with the hooks facing in opposite directions. I almost never lose a fish on that rig unless the leader breaks.

Hey Roger, I use Gamakatsu hooks primarily but have a few set up with stainless steel Mustad hooks; they seem to stay sharper longer. I tie them in a standard mooching leader setup with the hooks close together. I haven't changed how I've rigged things over last season and lost hardly any fish at all then. If the down rigger clip released, the fish was usually in the net. Rarely even a short strike.

Double 3/0 hooks has been what I used primarily but new leaders are going 4/0 or even 5/0.

So you run the hooks in opposite directions, huh? How does that setup benefit over a standard rig?

Mostly that regardless of which angle the fish comes to the hootchie at there is a point aimed at them. Also with this setup, I often wind up with both hooks in the mouth. I think that's mostly due to having them very close together.

Catch 22

City/Region: Lynnwood
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Catch 22
Photos: Catch 22
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday was frustrating but in the end good. We went 5 for 10 (yes we failed to net 5 fish). Luckily there was plenty of action so we still nearly limited. We continued to do the same thing we have been doing. 70-90 feet deep, troll fast, make turns, and use a lot of scent on your hoochie. One fish shy of limiting the boat 4 trips in a row, easily the best stretch I've ever had.
tcr_pnw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
Mostly that regardless of which angle the fish comes to the hootchie at there is a point aimed at them. Also with this setup, I often wind up with both hooks in the mouth. I think that's mostly due to having them very close together.

Very interesting Roger and worth trying. Do you tie them bend-to-bend or eye-to-eye? What type of knots? Too much trouble to snap a pic?
Catch 22

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't tie my own but I get slip ties and twist them so the points are opposite too. Dispute losing a few fish recently I have noticed the ones we net are often hooked both ways through the lip and have no chance of shaking off.
Catch 22

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going out Friday- Sun, see you out there...
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

i am in.. starting mid-day Friday. Pulling on Sunday

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in, Saturday am, at least, maybe Sunday, too. Shipwreck to Edmonds.

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
tcr_pnw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be Saturday and Sunday AM!
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went 1 for 2 today. Oil cans and also Picnic Pt (thx SeaStar). Interesting note the fish we missed at Picnic Pt was fairly nice sized - hooked 15 feet below propwash at 11am. The day before we hooked another by Shilshole doing same. I have seen this coho behavior in the ocean, but not in the sound so much.
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not much to report this trip. Saw Seastar hook and land a nice one this morning off Picnic Point and tried same area. Fished mid channel off Shipwreck, East Poss. Bar and Edmonds from Ferry to Oil tanks. Only 3 shakers to show for our all day efforts. Oh well, nice water and weather and have caught my fair share this year. Only saw Seastar's net among 200+ boats.
Good job to Seastar and Checkpoint II.
Catch 22

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did 3 for 5 yesterday and the same today. Tom Elliot was out there and I believe he had quite a few. We heard decent reports on the radio at shilshole so we may give that a try tomorrow if the usual is not working. Beautiful weather for this time of year!
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great day guys. I stayed home, we have family in town. It looks like my coho 2014 season is over. I took all my fishing gear off the boat and am readying the boat for the off season.

Good luck out there! It was a fun season.

Peter
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom for the time aboard Susan-E. We put 3 in the boat and enjoyed seeing some of the other C-Brats on the waters. I had not been as far south as we fished (oil cans & some beach) and enjoyed seeing the area. Peter...sorry I missed you man. It has been a while. Why putting your stuff up so early? Hope to be finished hauling potato harvest in a week or two and hope even more there is still some action going on. Maybe the slow numbers now simply mean they are spreading out more and not coming in as a big bunch...maybe? Or, just wishful thinking.
Upon returning to Everett Ramp, the count averaged .68 fish per boat checking in. So, our boat had 3 .....and we laughed a lot and enjoyed a great day on the water around other boats. Life is good.

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: