View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Westport Coho Reply with quote

Westport coho continues to be "stupid easy". Since we did tuna fishing on Sat. and were nearly out of fuel on Sunday AND since the #$@%! fuel dock at Westport isn't open on Sunday, we were limited to a short trip for fishing yesterday. We went out a mile or two past the bar (near the white buoy at the end of the line of red buoys and caught 8 coho and 1 small king in about 80 minutes. We kept 6 nice size coho. Even though we didn't leave port until almost 10:30AM, we were done and back at the dock around noon. Flashers and blue/purple hootchies at 30' on the downrigger in 130' of water produced as did a "funky chicken" coyote spoon on a diver/flasher combo. All fish were loaded with 3" long anchovies so probably anything in the size range would work.
Larry Q

City/Region: Rochester, Wa
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-ya
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,
Glad to hear you made it to my playground. We have had easy picking on the coho all year. Early in the year it was those darned Kings that kept us busy.
The last few weeks we have been fishing at Wash away beach out of Tokeland. You are allowed 3 silvers a day and wild ones are good to keep.
Non clipped Kings must be returned. We fish low slack and incoming. Then go home with our fish.
Fresh bait and divers is all we have used this year. We haven't had to mess with the down riggers.
We have made 12 trips out this year and only twice we did not limit. Once due to weather and once we only caught one king.
Jake B

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: PLUS 3
Photos: PLUS 3
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to hear the fishing is still good motor is back together and we are heading somewhere to make up lost time this thursday-monday
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the report on the Tuna fishing?

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery wrote:
What's the report on the Tuna fishing?

We've done two tuna trips out of Westport - one this past Sat. and one two weekends prior. For us and most people, it was not so hot the first weekend. We only got one fish and many others were in small numbers also. Even the guide boats were coming back with <10 that weekend. This past Sat was a bit better for us but still not great - we got 5. THe guide boats went straight to the good spot - 35 miles off the mouth of the Columbia, but we went based on Terafin data and it took us awhile to work our way down that far. We got most of our fish once we were in that general area so if we had gotten there earlier, we might have had 8-10.

However, the boats that were doing well are all fishing live bait. Since I haven't yet installed a bait tank (a job for this winter), I can't play that game and I'm stuck trolling. Slow trolled swimbaits worked better than other gear but I only have a few and everyplace is nearly out of them. I started out with one on the line and then wound up running the three that I had. If I had run those the entire time and on all rods (Cool, I think we might have gotten perhaps twice as many or maybe a bit more.
Discovery

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the bait bag we have. It is easy to install and remove, takes no room out of the cockpit and works well for up to a full scoop of Sardines. Maybe less of Anchovies, if they are larger. I got it from "Live Bait Larry" I think. Not posititve, but do a web search.
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery wrote:

This is the bait bag we have. It is easy to install and remove, takes no room out of the cockpit and works well for up to a full scoop of Sardines. Maybe less of Anchovies, if they are larger. I got it from "Live Bait Larry" I think. Not posititve, but do a web search.

Rogerbum and Discovery, do either of you have the livewell under the cockpit seat? Just wondering how well it keeps live bait alive.

We have used ours for keeping crabs living for 3 days on longer trips to the San Juans, but never for keeping sardines or other live baits alive.
Discovery

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redbaronace, We had a TC24 and used the under seat box for the catch. It is not suited to keeping bait alive. Not good for water circulation/aireation. I bought the "bait bag" in the picture while we had the TC24 and used it Tuna and Yellowtail fishing in Mexico. You can see the "bait Bag" on the TC24 in this pic. These are some small Yellow Fin Tuna. We caught them up to 100 lbs.

forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

September 17, 2014

Salmon fishing to close early off Westport and Ilwaco

OLYMPIA - Salmon fishing will close at the end of the day Friday off Westport and at the end of the day Sunday off Ilwaco, state fisheries managers announced today.

Marine areas 3 (La Push) and 4 (Neah Bay) will close at the end of Sunday as scheduled. All ocean areas close to fishing at 11:59 p.m. the day of the scheduled closure.

After an outstanding fishing season, anglers are expected to meet salmon catch quotas early in marine areas 1 (Ilwaco) and 2 (Westport), said Doug Milward, ocean salmon manager for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW). Those two areas initially were scheduled to close at the end of the day Sept. 30.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: