The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bilge pump problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greatlakesboater

City/Region: Great Lakes
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Encore
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Bilge pump problem Reply with quote

I have just bought a 2003 C-Dory 22 and the Rule bilge pump will not switch off. According to the manual it doesn't operate with a float switch but should switch off "automatically" when water is no longer present. The pump sits low in an area where a small amount of water can collect just below it but not enough to trigger it. As you all know, it's a tight fit but I've tried to clear any debris I could feel around the pump. Has anyone experienced this ? I need to decide whether or not it's time to just replace the pump which otherwise pumps quite efficiently.

I'm a new C-Dory owner and have been very impressed with the community of owners of this fun boat.
Thanks
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatlakesboater-

Your pump works manually, but not automatically. You have the pump with the electronic brain that often goes "Brain-Dead", so to speak.

Just use it as a manual pump:

1. I'd just install a switch in the electrical supply line/wire and operate the pump manually, if that was all I needed.

2. If I needed automatic operation, say for rain when moored, and/or wanted automatic operation when underway, I'd install a float switch in the line instead of #1.

3. Then too, being obsessive-compulsive, I'd probably install both switches, but would then have to remember to leave the switch ON when moored, which is a violation of the KISS Principle (to have to remember to leave it on), so a return to #2 would be better, OR….

4. The ultimate Gizmo Set-Up would be to

A. Install the float switch in line for automatic operation, and then

B. Install a an over-ride/by-pass manual switch to operate the pump manually when needed.* This would allow manual operation whenever desired, such as when the float switch was clogged with debris, or when you wanted to test to see if there was any water in the bilge (bilges are often not visible because of other equipment in the way, etc., or, when you have tons of water entering the cockpit from a rough ride, and you don't want to rely on automatic pump operation from a float switch.

Also, be sure there's a fuse in the supply circuit from the battery to the pump. This will probably be 5 or 10 amps, depending on the size of the pump.

*This would be a parallel circuit spanning the float switch, with a manual switch in it. Provides power to over-ride the float switch.

Others may have other ideas…..

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: