The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Blue Sea Systems dual battery fuse issue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Promariner 1240i plus is a 40 amp charger--3 bank. Not using one bank should not be an issue. I would hook up to each bank--and I might consider turning the ACR off when on the battery charger.

I wouldn't ever let that battery get to anywhere near the 10.5 volts they speak of in the instructions. 12.2 is where I put the limit.

They speak of using 10 amps for charging. I charge my East Penn Group 31 (105 ah /68#)at 30 amps, but monitor the temperature. The Optima group 31 size is (75 ah/ 59#) is a smaller battery, so I would limit the charge. Don't toss that 40 charger however.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've had the last few days off and finally going to stick with my last solution. After researching more about Optima I couldn't justify paying that kind of money with the quality control and the charging requirements. I returned them, and ended up barely fitting two standard lead/acid group 27 SuperStart (Johnson controls) deep cycles which have a RC of 180 and 600CCA and 750CA- a dual purpose battery.

What a headache all of this battery and wiring has been for me.

I will get all of my wiring labels done on Wednesday (proffesional labeler available at work), and connect everything to battery terminals. I have no room for any buses, but to me its not a big deal connecting everything to the battery terminals solely since I"m able to have the group 27s in place. I am putting a LED light on the control panel to view my ACR status. I am also putting a switch on my ACR ground to rid of parasitic load, and allow me to charge both batteries independently when out of water. I Also I bought a Diode that Blue sea systems recommended for my start isolation since I have twin outboards. Blue sea systems technical support was very helpful.

I could not find charging requirements for my Johnson 27's but I believe since they are the standard lead/acid my 1240i plus 40amp charger should be fine for them.

Thanks for all the help from everybody.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one simple suggestion I would recommend is a battery voltage monitor (LCD)--and a $15 from WalMart, or $5 from Amazon will work fine, with a two way Bat 1, off, bat 2 switch--the simple voltage will allow a reasonable state of charge, and prevent overcharging etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: