The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Thoughts on West Marine Chairs and Rod Holders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westie

City/Region: Bodega Bay
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: True North
Photos: Westie
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on West Marine Chairs and Rod Holders Reply with quote

Hi,
I see West Marine is running a sale until Sept 1 on their King Fish II folding chair (save $60) and Stainless Steel Clamp on Rod Holders (save 20). I need two chairs and four rod holders. How is the quality of these products?

I really like the Taco band rod holders but they are twice the price of west marine. Will they last twice as long?

What are the general thoughts out there?
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on the chairs but I had bought a package that contained 2-stainless steel clamp-on rod holders from West Marine and the quality was poor. I don't remember the specific part number but if what you're looking at is a 2-pack, I'd avoid them. In my case, one of them failed within weeks. The rod holder was attached to the clamp with a bolt that only engaged a few threads in the holder and those stripped out just from the rocking motion of a net in the rod holder. Fortunately when it failed, everything fell into the cockpit instead of overboard. I replaced it and the other one with more expensive but much higher quality CE Smith rod holders.
Captain Bella

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Irene
Photos: Bucket List
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We purchased two of those chairs early this season, also on sale. They are comfortable and wearing well. We use them both in the cockpit; they fit nicely and do not move around much. Recommended.

2006 Skagit Orca 27XLC
2006 C Dory 22 Cruiser (re-homed)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things I would be looking at in any of these folding chairs are:
1: Aluminum is lighter, but it will corrode with time--SS legs last longer.
2: How much deck space do these chairs take, when set up and folded
3: what is the bottom of the cushion made of? Marine ply treated, plain ply, or plastic?
4: are the staples for the fabric Monel metal? (even SS staples will rust and decay in the marine environment.

These chairs are going to be comfortable. Generally the fabric is good quality--but you do need to keep them protected under a cover from UV light.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought the aluminum version of the chairs about 10 years ago, but they didn't work out well in the Regal 2665 so we put them in the attic. We've been using them the past 2 seasons on the 255 and they're great. Very comfortable at the expense of taking up much more room than cheaper chairs with less cushion. With age and use, the rubber floor tips yellow and crack up, but I found aftermarket replacements on Amazon. Also the plastic pipe inserts age and crack apart, but that's just cosmetic. They're too nice to leave out in the weather... we put a plastic shower curtain in the v berth and stack all that sort of stuff there during the day.

The PO was an avid fisherman and had 4 Smith holders on the cockpit railings. I gave 2 to Goodwill and use the other 2 for Windline poles for shorepower and boarding handholds.
All I know about fishing is from childhood...that the Zebco 202 is awesome equipment, but not worth half a years annual income.

Oops, Dr Bob posted while I was writing...no rust on our staples and only the expected slight aluminum corrosion (only cosmetic) for age. Count on 15" each thick folded, or better yet check out in a West store in person. I'm not totally convinced SS is worth the extra bucks..it may last your lifetime, but the cushions won't. You could buy a couple extra Zebco 202's with that money and impress your fishing buds.

Happy Boating!
John

Last edited by gulfcoast john on Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Westie

City/Region: Bodega Bay
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: True North
Photos: Westie
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll take a closer look at the chairs this weekend.

I was concern about the rod holder. I'll go with something like CE Smith.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: