journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, a lot of opinions on the best instrumentation. And here's my suggestions just to add to the confusion.

As far as instrumentation, presently, I'm using a PC for a MFD, running OpenCpn (free) with the US Gov't charts (free.) NOAA for the ocean and Core of Eng for inland waterways. Canadian charts aren't free, by the way. I bought a Lowrance 3G radar which plugs into the PC via the ethernet port, a USB GPS, and an USB Millitech AIS receiver. I feel that's about as low cost as you can get, especially if you have a PC. When all 3 are working together through OpenCpn, it's a great way to navigate. And a big 15 screen.

Nowl, AIS. Few boats on the Mississippi have AIS on, in my experience. Second, if you want to talk to them about passing, use the VHF and ask. And the captains are very polite with us small guys; just ask them if they want one toot or 2 toots (port to port vs port to starboard, if I'm correct.) Personally, since the Mississippi has a well defined channel, I tried just to stay out of the way on the side where the tow wasn't. They're big and slow.

Regarding AIS data, it's another source of data and it's extremely useful. My example is the container and tanker ships coming down the Santa Barbara channel at 20 knts when we're on the way to Santa Cruz Island. Without AIS, it was always a guess as to when to cross their path. And if you guessed wrong, you're in deep trouble. With AIS, there's a definite answer. If their gyro is 90 deg out, you're gonna know it, cause they're going ashore. Always check what's really going on and then use the best data available. Reality is out there, you gotta look.

Boris
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: AIS overlay radar ??? Reply with quote

I think the idea of knowing the vessels name you are trying to call might be an added benefit when wanting to hail someone on the VHF. I guess you could call out southbound tug but then you really might NOT know who is actually responding. Thanks for the tips.
D.D.

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: AIS overlay radar ??? Reply with quote

I was looking at some of Vesper marines AIS units. I noticed that the XB 8000 AIS transponder sends signals via Wi-Fi or USB cable to another device’s screen. It sells for 745.99 from Defender
Then there is the Vesper Marine Watchmate 850 transponder with its own screen and it has an internal antenna. It also has an anchor watch function and has the ability to take an external antenna if need be. It sells for 830.00 this would be the ticket if you wanted a standalone unit that would not confuse issues with navigation markers waypoints if you have everything on one unit or computer. Not a lot more money. From what is mentioned below seems like AIS might have some advantages that you would not have with radar. But I could see the reason to have both. See below.
Automatic Identification System ( AIS ) improves the safety level of boating by exchanging information about the status of your ship with other AIS-equipped craft nearby. AIS targets are constantly visible even when they are shrouded in fog, in darkness, behind headlands, river bends or other obstructions.
D.D.
C-Val

City/Region: White Rock
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Seaduced
Photos: C-Val
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all very good thoughts and I thank you all for considering my navigation setup

With what everyone has said, my long-term goal is a 3g broadband radar to replace my old Apelco and added AIS

It looks like I will be saving for awhile for this since I don't have a MFD unit to display either. It looks like a hds8 display unit will be about $15 hundred from gps store which I think is the minimum size for my 22' plus the cost of the radar itself

In the meantime I will continue reading about the wifi idea since it looks like I could potentially use that idea on my tablet setup

David and Val

Thanks again everyone

1988 22' Angler
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sitting on the bank at Brown's Bay Marina--just North of Seymour Narrows, watching the boats go by from the "Ripple Rock RV park" --I am amazed at how many yachts in this area have AIS (of course it is still high season, and a high concentration of boats. But I have seen several boats with a length of 8 meters and beam of 2.5 meters with AIS B ---this is based on those received by the Marine traffic sight.

I happen to feel that AIS is going to be a lot more important in the future--maybe even required for recreational boats.

Good idea on the 3 G!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://gcaptain.com/ais-reliance-contributed-to-dover-strait-collision-report/
Here is a recent incident high lighting how AIS can contribute to a collision and why, i believe, you should never rely to heavily on AIS.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here was one incident, where there were a number of errors by the watch stander. Not really the "fault" AIS, but that Radar and Visual sites were not involved. The VTS broadcast was ignored, no second watch stander etc. (Perhaps not even a good command of English!).

Not the "fault" of AIS. As has been noted, AIS is just one more tool. I don't overlay Radar on an AIS screen--I have a a separate AIS screen, and it is one of several (including IR, at night), Radar, Radio broadcasts.

Not a reason to avoid AIS.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the article - "Rickmers Dubai’s OOW was alone on the bridge and he did not see Walcon Wizard. He did not keep a visual lookout or monitor the radar. Instead, he relied solely on AIS information for collision avoidance, which neither Kingston nor Walcon Wizard were transmitting." - That's not an AIS issue that's an idiot at the watch issue. I have AIS and am not at all reliant on it to detect everything. I do however pretty much count on the vessels shown by AIS to be present but no one in their right mind would assume the blank space on the screen is empty.
cmetzenberg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me rephrase; an over reliance on AIS. Heck, i'm using AIS right now. I'm just a big fan of using all available means and knowing the limits and errors that can pop up in those means.
helm

City/Region: Medford
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can run an AIS app like Boat Watch on you iPAD that will give you a general idea of whats moving around you in in the fog as a supplement to your radar overlay on a chart plotter, as long as you have a an internet connection via your cell service. It was quite useful the last time we went into Astoria on our way down from Cathlamet. We left in clear weather but hit dense fog from the dredge all the way to the West Basin.
Not the most elegant solution but useful
Best
Eric

Finished the Great Loop July 7, 2011
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmetzenberg wrote:
AIS is a vhf broadcast information from vessels that broadcast AIS information. The vast majority of these vessels are commercial. The data broadcast can include vessel name, call sign, MMSI, course, speed, cargo, ect. This data should NEVER be used for collision avoidance and maneuvering purposes, it is only as good as the sensors on the vessel broadcasting it. For pleasure boaters the only useful data AIS will give you is the names of vessels near you, this is handy if you need to hail them over the radio. Asides from that, useless. As far as the AIS text messaging service goes, no one in industry uses it or ever checks it, kinda like digital selective calling (vhf-dsc).

Quote:
">>>>... This data should NEVER be used for collision avoidance and maneuvering purposes, it is only as good as the sensors on the vessel broadcasting it. For pleasure boaters the only useful data AIS will give you is the names of vessels near you, this is handy if you need to hail them over the radio. Asides from that, useless."

Conrad, I could not disagree more.

Actually, AIS range is often times, greater than the radar range.

I run radar full time, and since the addition of the AIS it is also run full time. The radar runs on an overlay on the plotter, or sometimes on a separate screen, depending on condition and AOO (area of operation). AIS is provided by 2 sources, Standard Horizon GTX2150 vhf and a Vesper Marine Watchmate Vision - A stand alone B series with it's own monitor. The AIS data is also displayed on the MFD screen and defaults to the 2150 input if the Watchmate is not on.

The time it takes to run a curser on the MFD to an AIS target and touch "display AIS" button is only a few seconds. In that time I have CPA (closest point of approach) and TCPA (time to closest point of approach). In that same time, I would be half way to getting the radar only screen up, let alone setting up the MARPA.

Oh, by the way, at the same time, I also have the vessel name, MMSI#, and one button calling via DSC to that vessel. And, lets just say it is totally clear weather, BUT, the vessel is a ferry moving at 22 knots, coming around the corner at Shaw island, and there is a tug and tow approaching visible on radar and to me. I can determine speeds of both vessels, (the ferry I can't see, and the tug I can) and can see they will meet at the narrowest part of the pass, just when I would be there.) Now I can pre-determine, that I don't want to be there then, but I only know that from what I can determine with the AIS. RADAR does not see the ferry, on the other side of the point.

When crossing the Strait of Juan de Fuca, with the plotter set at 25 miles, and radar set at 12, the AIS is set on the 25 screen, I can see a string of Targets, east bound lined up from Port Angels, and in a few seconds, can get TCPA and CPA and determine if I want to maintain speed or adjust, to clear in the greatest space.

Would I use the AIS for "collision avoidance and maneuvering purposes", absolutely. Would I rely on it solely? No way. Is it a necessary tool? I guess that is a personal opinion, (and everyone is entitled to have their own), but when those little triangles are 50 times my size and traveling at 2 to 4 times my usual cruising speed, (6 or 12 knots), I will use what ever adjunct I have available to be sure I am out of their way.

You are right about the digital calling with DSC, not everyone knows how to use it, but even without, the AIS gives the vessel name, and that works almost as quick. It is nice having that info while that target is still out there 10 min or more away.

As to using a phone app for AIS info. Yes it works, HOWEVER, there can be a significant time delay, and at 20+ knots, that little triangle, can be 2-3 miles closer to you than you think when you look up from your phone. Works fine if you are sitting at the marina nad wondering what ship that is going by. More scary if you are looking up at the bow, and can't see the bridge. Shocked Embarassed Cry

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatives to AIS overlay are available:

1. The Vesper Watchmate (B series Transponder) comes as a stand alone monitor, about 7"diag view, with a very basic coastal outline picture, allowing the ability to both zoom in or out, and to see the targets in relation to both you and the land masses in the area. The Watchmate has capability to show either heading up or north up display.

2. The Standard Horizon GX 2100 or 2150 has, in AIS display mode, a screen that is also zoomable, and shows the targets in relation to your vessel. The display is in relative to your position and I believe is based on heading up.

As a personal note, I do not run radar with AIS overlay, as I prefer to keep those separate. Radar keeps an eye on what is close, Generally 6 miles or less, and AIS keeps track of the big guys that would even notice the bump if they ran over me.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

cmetzenberg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Would I use the AIS for "collision avoidance and maneuvering purposes", absolutely. Would I rely on it solely? No way."
I guess i shouldn't have been so firm in original statement because what just wrote is basically the point i'm trying to make. I'm saying that it would not be prudent to attempt a close pass to any traffic off AIS data alone.

If you feel like doing some reading, here is a place you can read about AIS various AIS issues. Again, the big issue; the accuracy of broadcast info.

http://www.nautinst.org/en/forums/ais/ais-issues.cfm
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link. Interesting reading for sure. Much of what I found was what I would consider fairly old information ( 2003, 2005, 2010 and much of it undated.)

There is a common thread, AIS is not without fault, however, those faults appear to be operator caused (from the Coast Guard giving a wrong instruction to OOW not ensuring accurate info entered into the Class A systems).

Also, understanding where the AIS info is coming from. In the post "A Pinch of Disbelief" from the Nautical Institute (your link),
http://www.nautinst.org/en/forums/ais/ais-issues.cfm/pinchofdis
the AIS info source is web based, not real time AIS unit, and there is no knowing what the delay is, so the discrepancies are explainable, as in positioning or ship movement, not in AIS output errors.

A significant benefit is noted:

Quote:
"AIS use has virtually eliminated the "Ship on my port bow" VHF radio calls. Now, when ships have traffic issues, they call the ship by name. I believe that the use of AIS has reduced clutter on channel 16 VHF. It should also reduce the hazard of a ship thinking a meeting arrangement has been agreed with a ship, only to find out that they were talking to a different ship than they thought."

As for me and my vessel, AIS stays on board and in use. It does not preclude the edict to maintain a proper, alert and active watch from the wheel.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

cmetzenberg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll say this tough; if you gave me the choice between a Flir infared system or an AIS system, I'd go infared without a second thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: