View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack keifer

City/Region: Boise
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: fuel woes Reply with quote

There has already been a lot said here. But one item that I did not see mentioned and I think is very important if you are going to run a single engine, is to be thoroughly familiar with operator's manual and in particular the maintenance schedules and storage procedures. This is especially important if you will have extended periods when are not going to run your boat. We have had 3 Honda engines between our two boats and all of them are, or were, different when it comes to draining the fuel from the engine. None of them ever let us down. At least not as yet but when it is time to drain fuel, I have the book right so that I can follow step by step. While it is not in the book, I always filled the permanent tanks completely and spike them with generous amounts of fuel stabilizer, and empty the portable tanks completely to eliminate moisture in the fuel.
Jack

potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Others, like myself will only leave a few gallons in the main tanks when in storage with some stabil in those few gallons and rely on fuel water separators to take care of any condensation. I've never found water in the fuel water separator. I don't know if that is because of my dry climate in Utah, or the fuel tanks material or what. I just don't like old fuel in the spring no matter what stabil says. So many different ways to treat the storage processes, and different folks are comfortable with what has worked in the past without regard to strict adherence to the manufacturers suggestions. But if a person has no experience and history with state of the art outboards, the manufacturers instructions are the very best way to go.

I also tow with only a few gallons in the tanks as I don't like the added 300 lbs or so on the rear of the trailer with full tanks. Not concerned with a short tow, but I'm typically towing 200 to 1000 miles. So, I fill up the boat close to my launch point.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, Keith on C-Pup has portable fuel tanks.... I would run the motors dry every time I was done using it and make some sort of fuel transfer device so he can burn off any excess fuel in the portable tanks by putting it in his car...get fresh fuel every time he uses the boat if he expects any long term storage... Stabil would not be a bad idea either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: