The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

09/20 - Lake Powell 2014 Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary, the Oak Canyon gathering is the 20th and 21st, and Chris says they are heading up the Escalante River after Oak Canyon. If you get there the 23rd or 24th and head right up the Escalante, you may well catch them coming back down! You also MIGHT be able to make a VHF radio contact when you are out in the main channel to find out where they are.

maryvmcclain wrote:
We really want to join this cruise... but won't be able to get to Powell until the 23rd or 24th. Do you think there is anyway to catch up with the group? Perhaps by launching somewhere else? I know phone service is minimal there so, unless someone has a SATphone, we wouldn't be able to call and find out where you are. Chris, any idea of the itinerary this year and where you might be right around then?

Thanks, Mary

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Chris

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Rana Verde
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary...if you launched at Hall's crossing you would have a good chance of catching the group as we go by. Depending on what day you are there we will either be headed upstream to Forgotten Canyon...or heading back downstream. We stop at Hall's both ways for supplies/ice/fuel/water/ice cream and the lake there is fairly open...so cell phones and radios sorta work. Wish I could be more exact but with the conditions changing like they do there is no telling where we will be when.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,

I did this my first year at Powell (2012). I did the trip with a friend who could not get away from work in time to arrive with the group. After consultation with the gang here on the forum, we basically did as Chris suggested in the previous post. We launched at Bullfrog at around 2:30 p.m. on the Monday after the main (Oak Canyon) get-together, and planned/hoped to intercept the group on their way up to Forgotten Canyon (Defiance House is up that one). Thataway had kindly given us his phone number, so we were able to exchange a few voice mail messages and knew we had a pretty good chance of finding the group, although we knew it was possible to totally miss them.

Lo and behold, just as we launched at Bullfrog, Thataway and a couple of other boats were fueling and having ice cream at Hall's Crossing, right across the way. We fell in and we were off! First time on Powell, wow, amazing Smile

Had a great evening group potluck, and then next morning hike to Defiance House. After that Chris/Rana Verde and our boat ended up losing the group (it's so easy to do as you know, and then nearly impossible to make VHF contact), but having a great time anyway, as he showed us the ropes and many good spots on the way back to Wahweap. We nearly solved the world's problems over a campfire in Rock Creek Bay, but not quite... maybe this year Very Happy

Anyway, for me the meetup plan worked out really well, but there was a certain amount of luck involved, plus Thataway's logistics service via his phone number. Someone with a Verizon phone would be your best bet, as they have the most service (I have a Verizon mi-fi but not a phone).
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We left Thisaway at Big Water boat storage this AM. Yesterday we had typical Powell weather. It was 98 when we arrived. There were camp sites with hookups, but the gal at the desk made a good suggestion for one which was long enough for the RV and boat (a little over 70 feet) plus the Yukon. We ran the generator until 10 PM--but by then the temperature was down to 68. We had a light rain, had to take in the awnings as the wind picked up to about 30 knots. IN the middle of the night I had to take in the largest slide because the wind was up to about 40 knots--and several tenters left the campground because they could not stabilize their tents. All was calm for a beautiful sunrise.

Several people told us that this is the busiest they had seen at Powell for many years, if ever. Castle Rock cut has plenty of water at this time. We always enjoy the drive North on 89 from Kanab. Today did not disappoint!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
We always enjoy the drive North on 89 from Kanab. Today did not disappoint!

Oh that is a really nice stretch! Last year on the way to Powell I drove much of that (southbound) in the late afternoon/early evening and it was all corals and pinks. Really brought out the color in "Color Country." Then we turned east out of Kanab and the full moon rose the rest of the way to Powell. What a welcome that was.

Nice to hear the water is up a bit over last year.
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
We left Thisaway at Big Water boat storage this AM. Yesterday we had typical Powell weather. It was 98 when we arrived. There were camp sites with hookups, but the gal at the desk made a good suggestion for one which was long enough for the RV and boat (a little over 70 feet) plus the Yukon. We ran the generator until 10 PM--but by then the temperature was down to 68. We had a light rain, had to take in the awnings as the wind picked up to about 30 knots. IN the middle of the night I had to take in the largest slide because the wind was up to about 40 knots--and several tenters left the campground because they could not stabilize their tents. All was calm for a beautiful sunrise.

Several people told us that this is the busiest they had seen at Powell for many years, if ever. Castle Rock cut has plenty of water at this time. We always enjoy the drive North on 89 from Kanab. Today did not disappoint!

The wind has kind of been nasty this year. Glad your there safe. Wish I could spend more than week at a time there. Some day. Very Happy

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Long term parking at Powell Wahweep Reply with quote

There are signs at Wahweep parking lot saying "Parking limited to 14 days". I asked the rangers at the north and south entrance to the park--didn't know.
Referred to the "ranger stationed at the launch ramp (none to be found) Then refered to head quarters on the lake--by the sports store. "Closed for the season--go to Carl Hyden Dam visitors center". There I finally found a security guard, whose husband was a "law enforcement ranger". She thought there was a way, but I should ask at District headquarters--that is on Hwy 89 the next street South of Denny's. There the ranger at the desk didn't know. She tried calling several other rangers, but no answers. Finally she dug out the book of regulations--which said, "Parking limited to 14 days, unless prior permission from the Supertendant was obtained. I ended up with the phone numbers of the area enforcement rangers--and eventually one answered his phone. I left my car description, license plate numbers, and times I expected to be on the lake. He noted this in his log, and said he would inform the other enforcement ranger. At the headquarters, I saw dozens of people in ranger's uniforms walking in the halls, but try and find one at either of the ramps, or in the camp ground area!

We have been in the campground for 3 days, working the the cool of the morning or evening loading up the boat and getting all systems working. Excellent help from campground staff, and a great site. Yesterday high winds, dust and a little rain--spectacular lightning show at night.

We have a Verizon phone. The 2 meter repeater on Navajo mountain appears to be working--and we will monitor it when underway, and in site of Navajo Mt. Call KA6PKB. It does not appear if this repeater is currently linked to Arizona or Utah 2 meter repeater links. Also monitoring Chanel 68, and 16 on Marine VHF--will respond to "any C brat", "Thisaway" or "Thataway",

See you all on the lake! Plan is to work up to San Juan Arm, spend a few days there over the next two weeks. We will arrive back at Oak Canyon at least a day before the gathering.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I guess I will bring my little Baofeng 2 meter radio. Is this the repeater you are referring to?

146.96- 100HZ TONE: NAVAJO MOUNTAIN REPEATER NEAR PAGE,AZ.

Anybody else going to be using a 2 meter radio?

Pat Anderson
KD7OAC
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Pat

Hopefully your Baofeng will work better than my Yaesu--I don't seem to be able to activate the repeater and have listened this afternoon & not heard any traffic. This is the correct repeater. We will be on the lake, if the boat floats. Marie finds places for all of the food for 3 to 4 weeks!

Since we were here last there is a golf cart shuttle service from Marina docks to lodge, parking lot etc. Also the marina store & a grill on the docks are improved.

I visited "Frequent Sea" (The 25 we owned at the marina today)
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked about the parking limit last year and the year before, because both times I knew I would probably be out longer. They said something like "well this time of year we don't worry about it." (Because it's not as crowded as summer.)

That's not overly confidence inspiring, since it's a bit "casual" and goes against the posted rules. I don't know that I would have been comfortable with it without checking into it more as you did (Thataway).

In 2012, I was there with someone else's truck and trailer who was comfortable with their reassurance, and we left them at Bullfrog for around three weeks, and no problem. Last year, at Wahweap, I decided to store my rig and trailer up at Big Water, mostly because I had personal stuff in it and didn't want to worry about it. Nothing super valuable, but still. As it turned out I'm darned lucky I did, because after they closed the lake, they were tagging cars in the parking lot. Mine was safely up at Big Water. Of course a lake closure again is highly unlikely.
potter water

City/Region: Logan
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"still C-razy" will be on 2 meter.

KG7RC

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
Bob,

I guess I will bring my little Baofeng 2 meter radio. Is this the repeater you are referring to?

146.96- 100HZ TONE: NAVAJO MOUNTAIN REPEATER NEAR PAGE,AZ.

Anybody else going to be using a 2 meter radio?

Pat Anderson
KD7OAC

Talking to other Hams the guy that runs the site is a bit of a grump he will come on the radio and tell you to get off because he thinks your taking to much time. Most of the regulars just quit using it. It isn't hooked up to Intermountain Intertie any more cause they got fed up with him. There's another one on the north end of the lake on Mt Ellen 147.08(+) 136.5 Here's a link to the Utah repeaters http://www.utahvhfs.org/rptr.html
Kathi

City/Region: Glide
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Dory K
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Lake Powell for 2015 Reply with quote

We are new to your club and would love to go on this trip in 2015. Any idea of the month or duration of this kind of trip? Thanks kathi Moon Smile
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Lake Powell for 2015 Reply with quote

Kathi wrote:
We are new to your club and would love to go on this trip in 2015. Any idea of the month or duration of this kind of trip? Thanks kathi Moon Smile

Kathi, mid to late September. Duration is up to each participant.

Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jody. I just programmed both the Lake Powell repeaters into my Baofeng with CHIRP, so we shall see what we shall see!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: