The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

siphoning out water tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamma

City/Region: nc
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: paterson mary
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: siphoning out water tank Reply with quote

it's difficult to get the water to siphon out even after attaching tube to faucet and putting it out the window or out the rear door. Last year, the suction finally worked, but took overnight to drain…just a slow drip out. any quicker solutions?…..we put a bottle of vodka in to refresh.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed an RV pump on my boat and I just pump it out. If you don't mind some water on the floor, you can take the fresh water hose off of your foot pump and the tank will drain in a matter of minutes through the hull fitting at the bottom of your door. That is if you pull it out.....And your trailer lifts the tongue high enough.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use clear plastic hose on the sink faucet as a siphon, run it out the cockpit window to the ground where it is about 6' lower than the faucet and about 3-4' lower than the tank bottom. It works well but is not fast. There is a steady stream of water coming out, not just drops. I just connect it and leave it for a couple of hours. Sounds like you might have a partial vacuum in the line. You might try opening the water fill plug to let more air in and hopefully speed the process.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same method as Barry, but I weight the bottom of the syphon hose to get it as straight/low as possible. If it curls up draining slows down considerably. I also wrap a bit of electricians tape around the faucet end to ensure that it doesn't suck any air into the syphon.
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also try tracing the water line from the sink to the tank. Mine was missing a 90 degree elbow fitting at the tank. Instead they used a straight fitting, which eventually caused the attached tubing to kink and water to flow very slowly.
Ray

City/Region: Pamlico River
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong, but it seems if the vent hose was clogged, it could slow things down considerably.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: siphoning out water tank Reply with quote

jamma wrote:
it's difficult to get the water to siphon out even after attaching tube to faucet and putting it out the window or out the rear door. Last year, the suction finally worked, but took overnight to drain…just a slow drip out. any quicker solutions?…..we put a bottle of vodka in to refresh.

Or, alternatively, use vodka for something else and forget about it! Mr. Green

Charlie Thumbs Up

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added a marine water pump and that solves several water issues, including emptying out the tank. I don't like to leave water in the tank even between outings. There are those who say that you use too much water with an electric pump, but I think that is up to the user to control. My wife HATED the stomp pump to rinse a dish. The small 1 gpm electric pump is just the ticket, cheap and the faucet that came with it has a high goose neck which is much better for rinsing a pot. We carry our potable water in small jugs and never drink the on-board water as an extra precaution against nastys being in the water supply. I don't worry so much with a dish being rinsed in properly treated water from the tank, but I don't drink the stuff.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
jamma

City/Region: nc
Vessel Name: paterson mary
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks to all of you! We do about 10 days in the Chesapeake each year with my brother who has a 22 Dory as well…we are quite the spectacle up and down the rivers and creeks….many "awwwwwwwww" expressions on faces.

I think all advice will help a lot!
anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: water tank Reply with quote

My boat came with a simple method of draining the tank. Where the plastic water tubing crosses floor, under the door, the previous owner placed a "T" fitting that aligns with the screw out fitting that drains the cabin into the cockpit. He used a rubber plug to seal the "T" fitting. To drain the tank, unscrew the cabin drain, pivot the "T" down and push it out the drain hole, and pull the rubber plug. Gravity empties the tank.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: I tried using Gin.....but it ate the foot pump Reply with quote

I always liked the smell of Gin, so I drained my water tank and poured in a half bottle of Gin..... but then I started getting little black blobs .... it turned out that the Gin ate the metal inside the foot pump.... not good..
Everything else in da world is made of plastic...but not the darn pump.

I had to buy a new foot pump.. No more Gin... I bought some fresh Smell tabs from West Marine... guess I will drink bottled water.

Joel
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just take the sight tube out of the little holders and lay it on the cockpit floor. All the water just runs out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: