The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Raise or lower your motors in salt
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
browntdb

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
Photos: Tortuga Del Mar
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Raise or lower your motors in salt Reply with quote

Hello C-Brats,

I have a 22ft Cruiser with twin Yamaha 50's. I moor the boat in saltwater in Puget Sound for about a week at a time. I have heard so many conflicting views about tilting the motors up or leaving them in salt when docked. At the marina on Anderson Island I have seen both. I currently leave my motors down all the time thinking that if I raise them, then when the water evaporates in the elevated position, salt incrustations will form. I have no idea if this happens or not.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Terry
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up, the water basically drains out, less corrosion--plus you should be flushing with fresh water, or running in fresh water for 5 minutes before you put the boat up.

What bottom paint do you have on the lower parts? What zincs are you using? Are you hooked up to shore power?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
browntdb

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
Photos: Tortuga Del Mar
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No bottom paint. Sinks in place and working.
Thanks for the info
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I build up on Terry's question?

is the verdict the same for a boat that is not moored but spending say a week on a trip? I am always torn when I'm on a three-four day trip on whether I should pull the motors on overnight marina stays. I always flush the motors thoroughly the day I pull the boat from the water though.

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat is in warm saltwater all season. The Yamaha manual specifies storing in the water in the down position, (not specifying why) and flushing in the up position with built in hose connection...not muffs...with the engine off (supply tubing is too small to cool properly with engine on). I speculate it's concern that in the up position the rear cowling air intake points straight up, and in a very heavy rain (we got 6 inches in one hour in April) it could overwhelm the air separator and send water down into the engine air intake, which would not be a good thing. I asked my 5 star Yamaha service chief and he says 'I keep mine up.' Looking around the marinas every Sea Tow and commercial boat has them up. I flush after every outing, keep a waterproof fabric engine cover on it on return, so no water can get down the air intake. I run the rams all the way down so they're not exposed (Dr Bob's idea), which leaves 3 square inches of skeg in the water. I replaced the Guest galvanic isolator with a fail-safe Pro-Mariner and check with a Marinco GalvanAlert monthly. Every 3 months I pull her out and have Accu-Prop fix any dings, replace the engine transom bracket anodes (which are always under water and collect growth that's too dense to wire brush off for $40), clean up the skeg, brush off the slime line, Hydrocoat the drain plugs and Tuff-gel the brass plugs in the aluminum engine bracket, and swipe on a couple coats of Poli-Glow in the high-wear areas. Down here, you can't wax in the sun, and you can't wax in the rain, so you can't wax at all between April and November. No more waxing ever again. Now that Poli-Glow has an aerosol stripper it's easy to remove. ( I acknowledge I'm an outlier fan here, but I loved the stuff on the Regal 2665 in years 5 through 9 too after lots of UV oxidation gelcoat damage. Count on several days de-waxing, wet-sanding initial prep). Fill up with 150g of ethanol-free gas + Yamaha Ring Free + Star-Tron and we're good for the rest of the season. Compared to re-building and flying antique jet aircraft, this hobby is cheap.
Bottom line, I ignore the manual, trust my service guy, mitigate against rain/hose water ingestion, and see ALL the other owners of all engine brands in the 8-350 hp range doing it the same way. Your mileage WILL differ.
Cheers!
John

bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat stays in salt water 1st April to 1st Dec every year. I have twin 40 Yamis and I always leave them up. I look around my marina and everyone has their outboards up, including the Search & Rescue boats which both have twin 250 Yamis. I do a fresh water flush after every trip or if out on a cruise, when ever I can. If I moor alongside in another marina, I leave the engines down until a boat has docked behind me. Lessens the chance of the lower ends getting hit. I raise them after the other boat has tied off. When I am getting ready to set off, I lower the engines for a couple of minutes before starting them. This is to allow oil levels to settle down again. When fired up, I leave them running for a few minutes to warm up before setting off. I replace the engine zincs every winter. My third season doing this and never had a problem.

Martin.
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bridma wrote:
I do a fresh water flush after every trip or if out on a cruise, when ever I can.
Martin.

is this utilizing a water connection/hose/muffs dockside? I'm curious of the process of doing a freshwater flush when still on the water. motor is down during this process?
doubles

City/Region: northwest
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Swede Dory
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up if you can get the entire motor out of the water. Down if not, so the zinc can work it's magic...
bridma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuckDogTitus wrote:
bridma wrote:
I do a fresh water flush after every trip or if out on a cruise, when ever I can.
Martin.

is this utilizing a water connection/hose/muffs dockside? I'm curious of the process of doing a freshwater flush when still on the water. motor is down during this process?

Yes, I use a dockside hose to the fresh water connection (not muffs). Motors are down during this process, I give them 10 mins each. When finished, I raise them. Both motors just clear the water.

Martin.
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuckDogTitus wrote:
bridma wrote:
Martin.

Don't know about other engines, but with Yamaha's you can flush the engines while the boat is in the water if you raise the engines and attach a hose to the flush fitting. Engines are off - not running. I do this every time I return to my marina, and whenever I can on extended cruises.

On edit: I see there may be some difference in practice regarding engines up or down during flushing. Here's what my Yamaha manual says for F50's, 60's, & 70's: "When flushing the engine with the boat in the water, tilting up the outboard until it is completely out of the water will achieve better results." So, that's what I have always done. I don't know about other brands or other models of Yamaha.

bridma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually take my boat out of the marina for the winter months. Get the engines serviced and winterized, then she sits in my driveway waiting for Spring.
I hate it when I'm not using my boat for 4 or 5 months of the year. So change of plans for this year. I will still get the engines their annual service but forget the winterizing. Keep the boat back in the marina ready for a few hours boating at the drop of a hat. We do get the odd days of nice weather in winter and I want to be ready to go. My boat has no leaks and it has a heater, so why not ? Reading the above posts, I shall keep the engines raised while not in use. Unless anyone knows with absolute certaintity as to why I should keep them lowered.

Anyone for Desolation Sound New Year's Eve ? Laughing

Martin.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been doing it right....kinda. Toss the kinda in there because Yamaha F150 manual seems to lead you down 2 different paths...based on a time line of 2 months or more of non-use.
Basically. in the water flushing, motors tilted up and out of water using the flush-out hookup on the motors for 15minutes. Do not run motor as you may screw up water pump/overheat motor. Pages 53-54area. On these pages it did not state put them back in the water or not...so I have used the 32 degree rule. If any chance of temp getting below 32, I put mine all the way down, salt or fresh water. If at a marina I think props may get stolen or hit by another boat, no matter the temp, motors go all the way down. Tight marina fairways like Everrett Marina in WA, returning Friday after noon...always down to avoid combat docking drills from weekenders that do not understand boat steers from the rear...and their are no front tires to turn the front or bow. But, they always know how to hit the throttle.
2 MONTH set up on page 50- takes you thru hooking up the ears, low idle flushing, with motor cowling off AND prop removed, motors all the way down. (that prop removal is new to me Disgust ) then....fog, treat fuel ext.
So I guess I am OK. Up and out fresh or salt water if over 32 & safe area, flushing when can in the water (I generally only let the water run thru for about 5 minutes Crook ). Never have used muffler type, pulled the prop to flush or fogged motor....but, very rarely will I go 2 months without boating!

Good topic...but the pictures in the manual were not that exciting.

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky here with the ETEC 90. I can run it on the lift out of the water with the hose connected to it. Wink

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether you leave the motor up or down, be aware that at least on the Honda 90, tilting the motor up before cooling water has had a chance to drain out of the head area will result in pockets of water being trapped inside the manifolds, where it will remain until it eventually evaporates, or leaks through the gaskets. Even with fresh water, that's not a good situation. With salt water, even more so, since evaporation will leave all the salt behind.

So, either way, I'd suggest you leave the motor in the down position for a few minutes after turning it off, or finishing flushing, so that the cooling water can drain thoroughly.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my Yamaha twin 40's, I am taking this (thread content) to mean, leave them down unless I can raise and flush them. (the Yami 40's have hose flush ports, so can be flushed in the down position (even in salt water) then raise and rinse for mooring at a marina for overnight occasionally (like on a 2 month SW cruise). Last summer, on of my concerns when moving (on the trailer) from one area to another, I had to really work to find places to get a good washdown after I loaded onto the trailer.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: