thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the C Dory is easier--and in some ways safer in the conditions which Forrest described. My comparison is full displacement, long keel boats, where there is slow control, and little of it--so you have to be looking way ahead (or behind).

The beauty of the C Dory is the rapid responsive time, both in steering and in throttle. Take a page from the offshore racing boats--and one hand always on the throttle (a throttle man) and steering--sometimes in this case, a Brodie knob helps with the rapid spins of the wheel if necessary. Like Roger, I like to stay on the back of a swell, only only go over the top, if one overtakes me (in the open ocean) or if there is a very difficult maneuver where you have to go down the face of the wave. (Great on a surfboard--and I have done in in both ultralight and semi displacement boats using the same skill sets as one does in board surfing. There it is reflex--same with boats--but each boat is a little different.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
westward

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! I find it hard to conceive of a sea condition with 4-6' standing waves spaced closely enough together that 2-3 at a time could be bridged by a 22' C-Dory. Not hard to conceive of the condition, but hard to imagine riding it out without having your nerves and the contents of your boat shattered. It seems like your prop would spend a lot of time out of the water and you'd be tossed around as if in a wash machine. Glad you survived such an unreal ordeal. Mike.
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westward wrote:
Yikes! I find it hard to conceive of a sea condition with 4-6' standing waves spaced closely enough together that 2-3 at a time could be bridged by a 22' C-Dory. Not hard to conceive of the condition, but hard to imagine riding it out without having your nerves and the contents of your boat shattered. It seems like your prop would spend a lot of time out of the water and you'd be tossed around as if in a wash machine. Glad you survived such an unreal ordeal. Mike.

Ditto! I thought we were toast. The stern had a lot more up and down movement than the bow, so the prop kept grabbing. It spun a lot of times, but we kept our power up just fine, I was adjusting throttle and trim throughout.

I have many many many hours operating very high performance jet boats in very tough conditions. What really struck me, was that when pushed, the CD22 performed very similarly. It wasn't as maneuverable, and weighs more, with less power, but the handling characteristics were uncannily similar. I think once I had enough throttle on, and the boat started doing what it was designed to do when the $#!+ hit the fan, everything started feeling very familiar, safe, stable and doable. Before I got the throttle up, I thought we were going to have a tough time getting through it. We did not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: