Bringing food into Canada--hope this is the right forum
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JuliaR

State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Two Lucky Fish
Photos: Two Lucky Fish
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Bringing food into Canada--hope this is the right forum Reply with quote

So, we are heading up next week for a cruise on the West coast of British Columbia. I am charged with stocking the galley, but I don't want to waste $$ or time on things we can't bring in.

I did check the official Canadian customs site, but it wasn't as detailed as I had hoped.

So...what can't be brought in? We usually bring meats, sausage, bacon, fruits & veg.

thanks for any help!

Julia R. spouse to TimFlan of Two Lucky Fish +1 C-22
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Bringing food into Canada--hope this is the right forum Reply with quote

Hi,
I don't think you can bring any of what you mentioned into Canada. Think canned stuff, cereals are ok but fresh foods seem to be a problem.
D.D.

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Bringing food into Canada Reply with quote

I was wrong you can bring up 11 pounds of fresh meat per person check the link below.
http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadatravelplanner/a/What-Can-I-Bring-To-Canada.htm
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fruits and veggies which can be grown in Canada are especially scrutinized. E.g., oranges are OK but apples, pears, and the like are off the list. Avocadoes OK, but spuds, , all root vegetables, etc., are not. I see this differs from the official rules. Mine is based on what I have been asked on crossing. Safer to follow the rules in the link.

Coming back, same rules.

We usually hit a larger grocery store, once across, but we trailer, so easier for us.

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty here. Check Google, they are very clear. Basically, NO fruits with pits. You can bring pretty much any cheese and meat you will consume while you are there. Sometimes, the US agents will confiscate what you bring back (our friend, David, when bringing back meat he had brought from the US, was told, when confiscated, "Your meat doesn't have a passport." (Pr....k) You cannot bring back citrus. The ONLY thing we have ever had taken was citrus. And don't lie about the booze. You may get away with it, but if you don't, it's costly.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have never been searched by or even seen a Canadian border agent but the U.S. ones have taken our potatoes and garlic ( both bought in the US) .

Patty covered the rest. and remember that if you are going to hit a port there are plenty of places to shop.

ckcpony

City/Region: Pony
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Amy Jo
Photos: Tonka
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering, what is the procedure when crossing into Canada with more booze than is allowed duty free.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have always been completely honest and have never had a problem. But then we don't try to get by with too much over the limit.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ckcpony wrote:
Just wondering, what is the procedure when crossing into Canada with more booze than is allowed duty free.

I agree with colobear! We always are careful about being at or under the limit for liquor, beer and wine. In our experience Customs is generous about half consumed bottles. We have been inspected a couple of times out of several dozen crossings thru the years; both by RV and boat.

We are aware of folks who were given the option of paying duty (expensive) or discarding the liquor by Canadian Customs. (but I am not sure that the latter option is always available and there could be a fine if you did not declare the amount you had). But there is more--you are then put on a list to be further scrutinized in the future, if you are over--even if you pay the duty. Not worth the risk!

If you have any criminal record in the US, this can be enough to keep you from crossing--and this includes a DUI.

Quote:
Drink driving or impaired driving convictions (even if they are recorded as a traffic offence) where the blood alcohol reading is 0.081% or above – or a breath reading of 0401mgms/L or above, will make you inadmissible to Canada. Other common convictions that may make a person inadmissible to Canada are: reckless or dangerous driving, common assault, street racing, hinder or resist a police officer in the execution of duty, possession, supply, trafficking of drugs (including cannabis) and shoplifting (theft), fraud or criminal damage, to name a few

Those of us who have concealed carry permits are often scrutinized for weapons at the border--the Canadians seem to have a record of at least some states CCW permitees.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ckcpony

City/Region: Pony
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Amy Jo
Photos: Tonka
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of us who have concealed carry permits are often scrutinized for weapons at the border--the Canadians seem to have a record of at least some states CCW permitees.[/quote]

I agree that the Canadians must have records of who have CCW permits. My wife has a carry permit and we have been questioned pretty extensively about how many firearms we own and what caliber they are, ect. They must also have a record of the registered guns that we own. I don't blame them for being cautious. After the questions, they have given us some stern warnings about how serious they are about bringing firearms across the border.
Clint
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past when crossing over into Canada with a shotgun & no CCW permit we have been questioned & warned extensively on fire arm use on some crossings & not at all on others. This year with JoLee & I both now having CCW permits & leaving our shotgun behind, we weren't questioned at all, so I'm not sure one way or the other whether or not they have records of the permits.

Jay

JuliaR

Vessel Name: Two Lucky Fish
Photos: Two Lucky Fish
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! I had Googled but didn't find a list which answered all my questions...and I knew some folks had recently been to the Pender Harbour gathering:-).

Sounds like to keep it simple, we'll bring canned and packaged goods only and get the fresh & refridgerated items at the market in Pender Harbour--we'll still have our tow vehicle at that point and can do a big shop if needed.

the alcohol limits are good to know too! We often keep a bottle or two on the boat...wouldn't want to go over and have to discard!
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julia,

You really can bring meats and vegetables into Canada and it is a LOT less expensive! The only fruits that are prohibited (and the guy who cleared us for Canada Customs confirmed) are stone fruits. Pender Harbour is a cool place but kind of at the end of the road, so you might not be able to find what you are looking for, and it is going to be pretty pricey!

Your choice though!

Pat & Patty!

Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better alternative to Pender for shopping is Port Browning. There is a shopping center about 1/2 mile (up the hill) which has just about everything you could need. Its a short and interesting trip via the channel between N and S Pender Smile
or you could take a taxi.

M

C-Dawg

City/Region: Spanaway
Photos: C-Dawg
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When 3 of us recently headed North for a fishing trip, we reported that we had a total of a case-and-a-half of beer. The nice young lady working the customs booth just smiled and told us we didn't bring enough, eh? Smile

C-Dawg sold November 2018
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: