Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuckpacific

City/Region: SW PDX
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Big Sky
Photos: Big Sky
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guests are all young........................
joefish

City/Region: Great Falls
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: My Girl
Photos: My Girl
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what did the guy in the water say when you asked him why he didn't grab the two floats that were thrown to him?

"I wasn't done peeing yet."???

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JD is a lucky guy that Mark was close by and knew what to do! It is bad enough with full clothing and shoes on when you go overboard, especially if it is rough or windy. That boot made the situation immediately dangerous (let alone hypothermia which is always a risk up in that part of the world).

We all have different rules. One of ours is no drinking when under way. Although we don't require floatation when in the cabin (in some situations that can be dangerous)--we do suggest it in rough weather if outside the cabin and almost always when up on the rail or on deck. Some type of man over board gear is essential--as is knowing how to get to a person who falls overboard--and you immediately assume that that person is incapacitated. Another issue, is that any time there is an incident it is not funny. We almost lost a friend in Lake Mead at the end of a Grand Canyon River rafting trip. There was some drinking going on, and the guys were dipping a bucket to throw at each other (both in fun and to keep cool). One there was a line on the bucket and it was wrapped around one fellows wrist. He was pulled over by the bucket full of water, and this bucket acted as a sea anchor, pulling him down as he struggled. One of the other guys realized what was happening and dove in to cut the bucket loose and pull our friend to the surface.

As for reaching the cushion--could be panic, could be with the cast on, JD was immobilized to the extent he could not reach the life cushion of the rescue buoy. Be safe! Good save!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So what did the guy in the water say when you asked him why he didn't grab the two floats that were thrown to him?

He said he "never saw them". He was too focused on the boat and getting air into his lungs.

potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you web search "the drowning response" it will be a real eye opener on what happens to most people when they are unintentionally in the water or when intentional swimming turns into a problem. The brain has a hard time being practical and logical. The comment in the thread that he was focusing on breathing and the boat is very consistent with what you will read about what happens to the brain when a person is panicked in the water

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuckpacific wrote:
When offering guests PFDs I inevitably hear something like, 'But I'm a strong swimmer...'

My reply is, 'If you go 'in' and you're not wearing a PFD your first priority is keeping afloat (swimming). If you're wearing a PFD you can then go to your next priority (like getting rescued, helping someone else or giving assistance to the situation).'

My solution to the occasional guest who did want to wear a PFD is to only keep inflatable PFD's on board (or at least tell my guests that's all I have). Then, since the inflatables only count if they are worn, I explain that the law requires that they are worn. That makes it much easier as it is not just me requiring that the PFD is worn. I like your explanation better though I may combine that with the legal one.

I think the key thing to remember is that very few people plan on going overboard. The very nature of an accident is that it is unexpected. A PFD on at all times is the only way I know of to assure that one has auxiliary floatation when an accident occurs.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use inflatable PFD's for myself and guests. My explanation is that they are required to be worn to count. The non inflatables are for heavy weather/seas service. They are not required to ware anything but then again they are not required to ride in/on my boat.

Early this spring I was handing 2 inflatables to a couple to put on on the dock, before boarding. While I was helping him, she pulled the yellow T handle. Yup, it cost a few $$ to replace that CO2 cartridge, but it was sure better than having a MOB and not having a vest on.

Mark, glad your friends came out OK. Could have been a very different story. And we know that just because they are good cops, does not mean they are experienced boaters. Bet that other skipper won't be missing that safety lecture from now on.

Harvey
SleepyC

Moon

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were stationary, surrounded by lots of other stationary boats and loads of wakes from nearby traffic refracting off the stone shoreline nearby during the Tacoma air show. I was doing the outside to inside transition on the port side and while going from above to the cockpit under the canvas, I had a large wake pitch the boat while transitioning hands and it tossed me off. I had one hand on a bar on the roof but I was crouched and too far out of balance to recover. I let go and took a quick dip. Cindie did notice me missing and heard the splash and were surprised it happend. I usually move around the boat like that in much calmer water and I should have moved a little more deliberately but we were still and there was no moving traffic close by or current.

On my birthday no less. No injuries and the self inflating PFD I always wear worked perfect after about a 3 second delay. While I was in there I tried to come up directly over the side of the cockpit just for kicks but that really is truely not practical for anyone at any age on our boat. So I spun over the the swimstep I so gladly re-installed and pulled down the ladder and was up and out easily in seconds.

It was overall a great weekend and I got my third practice session(first two were maintenance related tests) on repacking and reloading a pfd while out boating. We carry one reload onboard for each vest and a spare foam vest also.

Fun weekend and the boat is doing great for us.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of weekends ago, I had a friend on board for the PT Rowing Races safety boat duty. We had gone through the initial boat orientation, throw-ables, inflatables, VHF, gears to neutral and the whole list. When asked about the MOB button on the plotter, (Raymarine) I explained that it would place a waypoint right where we were and keep it there so we could keep track of the spot as we moved the boat around preparing to retrieve the overboard individual. As I did so I pushed the button. It works, with an intermittent beep, continuing to sound every 15 to 20 seconds. Oh, ah, I forgot how to turn that thing off......for a while. Eventually we figured it out. Push the button again. Had not done it since I first got the boat, and it had been a while. Good to know, practice and refresh once in a while.

Greg, sure glad you got back on board OK.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
haliman

State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid part on the captain for not making the dude with boot wear a pfd if not all his crew. Stupid part on letting the guy get on the gunwale, standing to piss whether his buddy was holding him or not. Get a plastic milk jug and cut a hole in it for a piss. Just stupid all around but glad it came out good this time!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: