The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

NORO LIM's 2014 Inside Passage cruise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: NORO LIM's 2014 Inside Passage cruise Reply with quote

We went early this year (left Olympia May 13th). We had very good weather with only a day or two of rain. On the way north, we missed a big blow near Prince Rupert by hiding out in Kitimat for a couple of days. Coming south we let the Straits of Georgia talk us into delaying a crossing to Nanaimo. Otherwise, no serious wind and no dangerous waves.

It was, however, the year for irksome problems with getting fuel. Both Duncanby's Landing and Hartley Bay were out. In the case of Duncanby's, I had e-mail confirmation from them that they would have fuel and be open for business when we got there. When we arrived, it took a bit to scare anyone up. We finally found a guy doing some carpentry. He told us the place was not open, had no fuel, and the corporate guys at headquarters didn't know what they were talking about. I e-mailed those "corporate guys" again when I got to Petersburg. I got an apology, but also insistence that Duncaby's really had been open, and with fuel, when we were there, and that the "carpenter" didn't know what he was talking about. Hmmmm . . . . So we went to Dawson's Landing for fuel. At Hartley Bay, we could not get any response at all regarding when, if ever, the fuel barge was coming. I heard the Coasties on the VHF quizzing HB about expected fuel availability. They got the same "don't know" answer we did. Hmmm . . . So we went to Kitimat for fuel.

We were never in real danger of running out of fuel, and the experience just reinforces the idea that you have to be prepared and flexible in these more remote areas.

I've posted lots of pictures in my album. Here's a sampling:

For more than a quarter hour we were absolutely surrounded by Dall's Porpoises running under and around the boat. A real madhouse.

And this is what Chatham Sound, a place that can be very up and down and just plain miserable, was like one early morning:

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, Thanks for posting that. Nice pix. really wetting my appetite for a cruise North. Glad you made it up and back safely.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brings back memories of our cruise from Blaine to Ketchikan in 2006! We fueled at Sullivan Bay, Shearwater, and Hartley Bay. Hartley Bay had fuel, and was a pleasant stop. We ran from Blaine to Rupert without having to hide out anywhere for weather, and when we got to Rupert, we fueled up, looked at the weather on Dixon Entrance and headed right across! We were totally lucky!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're back already? Looks like you had a good trip.

I'm in Sitka now, waiting for guests and a new alternator ti arrive tomorrow. Generally excellent weather so far. Almost no rain for two weeks through B.C. A few days of torrential rain and gusty wind in Ketchikan but it didn't interfere with travel plans.

The best way to find out the schedule for Hartley Bay fuel delivery, by the way, is to get in touch with the folks that run the Shearwater barge. They deliver all of Hartley Bay's fuel and can tell you when it was last delivered and when any scheduled future deliveries are. Klemtu seems to have fuel more reliably than Hartley Bay, too.

Enjoy the rest of your summer down south.

NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

Sorry to hear about the alternator (your boat, or one of the flotilla?). Hope it gets fixed in short order.

Good tip on the Shearwater barge. We've had to wait on it at Hartley Bay in the past, but always with some indication that the barge was on its way. This year we could not get any read on it at all. I guess going straight to the supplier might have worked. Anyway, it was fortuitous in the end. The lack of fuel at HB provided the perfect excuse to cruise up to Kitimat AND delayed us just enough that we missed some serious wind in Prince Rupert.

All in all we had the best weather of any our trips up the Inside Passage. Really nice. No wet clothes hanging around trying to dry out in the boat!

Stay safe.

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: