The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Canvas extension of the anchor locker in the C Dory 22.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Canvas extension of the anchor locker in the C Dory 22. Reply with quote

Since we have 300 feet of 8 plait with 30 feet of 1/4" G4 chain, and also retained the original deck plate, we wanted to make the "bin" where the anchor line is stowed forward of the V berth so it would hold the line, and prevent water from getting on the bunk.

I measured the dimensions of the top of the fiberglass bulkhead which forms the current "bin", (since this anchor locker did not have a drain, I made a drain hole, making sure that there was no way water could get between the hull and the v berth).

From these dimensions, I made a paper pattern, and then laid out on Sunbrella the trapezoid which would cover this space.

The Sunbrella was cut with a hot knife to seal the edges.
I folded over about 1" all of the way around, and cut out the corners to avoid excess material. The bottom had 1" wide by the entire length of 8 oz dacron sail tape placed in the fold for the seam. I always use a small piece of 8 oz dacron sail tape to give more substance and stiffen the Sunbrella when putting a fitting thru it. The bottom is held i place with #10 flat head screws, the flat head and a finish washer, to give more surface area on the inside, and a washer and nylon nut on the side toward the bunk secured the bottom. Holes in the re-enforced bottom were made with the point of a soldering iron, to avoid fraying. The top was sized so that a 1/2" wooden dowel would fit thru the open seam. I used SS/rubber support clips secured to one of the bolts on the bow pulpit. I put 1/8" seine net twine for the tie to this clip around the dowel and thru the Sunbrella. I made it a little "baggy" so that if any line overflowed, it had plenty of room. We seem to have enough fall for the chain and rode--although we may have to double check it under some conditions when we bring the rode in. It takes a couple of seconds to undo the ties if we need direct access to the rode or chain. Total cost less than $15. I had ordered about 10 yards of 61" wide sunbrella which matches our boat cover. This is being used to make a radar cover, windlass cover, foredeck shade and any other canvas projects we can think of. We do have access to a professional "ConSew" 1 hp machine for the sewing. Most good household sewing machines will do two layers of Sunbrella, but you are restricted to fairly light thread. We used V 69 Dacron thread for this project.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am playing with a similar idea using Topgun fabric and Velcro for now and it is working pretty well. The idea is similar, to keep out wetness and maybe some odor from the wet rode. Aven has pushed in partially down once playing up there but otherwise it is holding up well on its own. I want to live with it through the summer before we do anything different which might include fiberglass work or fabric and snaps or just some refinement of the cut and gluing to make the Velcro more permanent. More pics in album:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2034&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with a very simple quick idea. I cut a 4in thick piece of regular cushion foam to fit the opening. It is just enough over sized that it is wedged into the opening and seals it.

It does not look as good but it stopes odors and is easy to remove and replace. I have been using it for a few years and no problems with absorbing water. Cost was zero since I had the foam.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: