The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2015 Pelican, Alaska Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way the trip to Alaska gave us memories that will last our life time.

If you are interested, here are links to our blog on the Tuna club web site

http://humboldttuna.com/smf/index.php?topic=937.msg6637#msg6637

http://humboldttuna.com/smf/index.php?topic=973.msg6775#msg6775

http://humboldttuna.com/smf/index.php?topic=1232.msg8482#msg8482

http://humboldttuna.com/smf/index.php?topic=1328.msg9141#msg9141

The photos have been removed but most are in our C-Brats album.

Gene

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene,

All of the places I was referring to in my last post are in the Yacobi-Chichagof Wilderness between Pelican & Sitka with Mirror Harbor only 5 miles & Dry Pass 7 miles south of where Lisianski Strait meets the Gulf & the furthest mentioned only 21 miles south. The point I was trying to make is it's not just the deep water off shore that weather & buoy reports can lesson the risk, that's the hazard in this area, but rather the intricate tidal entrances through the more shallow rock strewn water that charts & GPS's don't cover, which must be negotiated while avoiding kelp mixed with the often swells that are found on the gulf side & even in good weather fog a ever present possibility to reduce visibility while doing this. We have now cruised in a small boat in the Southeastern Alaska waters for approximately 10000 miles & the majority of these miles where off the more common routes & there is no doubt in my mind that the outside water in this particular area, if planning to explore them thoroughly, as I have described over the years & shared in the Grand Adventure Forum in writing, photos & video & have proposed for this gathering are a step beyond the normal Southeast Alaska cruising experienced by most in a small boat. If you can't see that then we will just have to agree to disagree, but I do completely agree with you, in that for all who do decide to share this 2015 Gathering, it will be a fantastic experience & I wished you could be a part of it.

Jay

Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great to explore that wilderness area with someone that has been there. We were on a time schedule at that point. We took the outside as it was the shortest distance to get to Sitka and the weather was good. It is a very rocky shore and as we recall, fog hugging the coast. Anyone that goes with you will be lucky to have an experienced guide.
BaseCampAnne

City/Region: San Diego/Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SEA COASTER
Photos: SEA COASTER
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Alaska trip Reply with quote

I am delighted to hear JoLee is doing well and you two are heading north again!

Your trip sounds wonderful Smile I spoke with a couple from the Seattle area who have gone that way to Sitka and the gal spoke highly of the area you are discussing.

I am in Bar Harbor in Ketchikan. A fellow in 22' C-Dory a few slips down showed me 3 fish he caught today, including 2 kings. Yesterday he caught 6 fish so like the others on the docks seems quite pleased with the fish running.

There are 6 C-Dory's here, all with Alaska registration, and none with camper-backs. Most every boat in the marina is set up for fishing.

I came up here with 6 other boats in a Waggoner group. They are all gone. After I hopefully get the auto-pilot repaired I am planning to do the mostly protected 100+ mile circuit around Revillagigedo Island to enjoy Misty Fjords. After that I plan to go to Wrangell and then Petersburg.

My greater goal is to spend a week or so in Sitka, enjoy a summer concert or two and ideally get on a couple of CG Auxiliary Patrols and gain some local knowledge. I'm still networking and searching for a buddy boat to travel with since it is over 200 miles from here.

After Sitka the salmon hopefully will be spawning and I want to find places observe the Brownies, but won't be going into all the amazing spots you go to, Jay. I hear it is not too hard to find bears when the streams have the fish returning. I plan to be back in WA in early September.

Meanwhile, I hope other C-Brat's will seriously consider the trip offer.

As one fellow reading my trip reports on Tugnuts wrote "if Anne can do this trip, I can do it." I am doing the rookie trip, and it is doable.

I cannot imagine a better way to go to such special places than to travel with Jay and JoLee. I am envious. Wink

Cascadia, Ranger Tug 29
Sea Coaster, 2008 22 C-Dory, sold 8-11
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne,

Much thanks for the kind words. JoLee & I followed your write ups as they were posted on the Tug Nuts site & we found your account of the trip north very much a pleasure to read & hope you continue writing & sharing your adventures this summer. We both admire your determination to not only make this trip happen, but the willingness to share it with others. Many never manage to get past the planning stage or the end of the boats electrical extension cord at their home dock no matter how well equipped & you are now in Ketchikan with a summers adventure to look forward to.

On our cruising in Southeast Alaska we have noticed its rare to see small boats like the C-Dory's very far from their home port due to most are used mainly for fishing not cruising.

Gene,

I will be reading your blog of past Alaska trips & if anything like your photos will enjoy them.

We, no doubt will meet up during the coming summers ahead in the Hoonah, Elfin Cove & Pelican area of Alaska & it will be fun sharing our different experiences in Southeast Alaska. I remember seeing the Tootsie Too up there in 2010 & finding out later through emails with you that you were running her that year.

Jay
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: 2015 Pelican, Alaska Gathering Reply with quote

Jay,
Thanks for thinking of us. We would love to cruise down to Pelican with you from Skagway. The route to Sitka is something we would decide on at a later time. Hopefully things will work out. I hope we will not turn into a ball and chain for you and Jolee. To say I am looking forward to the trip would be an understatement.
Tom,
Thanks for your offer. I'd love to have what ever info you want to pass along. Once again thanks for being as thoughtful as you are.
D.D.

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, most certainly no ball & chain. Anymore we travel slow always trying to soak in as much as possible every trip, as who knows when it will be the last. The whole route from Skagway to Pelican, including towns, wildlife & scenery is awesome & after all the times we have made this run solo it would be fantastic to share it with you two or others that would be able to launch out of Skagway on a adjustable date of departure.

Jay
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To update, Brent & Dixie with the Discovery & us hope to be in Skagway, Alaska toward the end of May with us both leaving our home states of Utah & Wyoming, somewhere between the 23rd & 27th of May, weather on the route north making for the actual date of departure. It's impossible to establish a exact date for us to arrive in the Pelican area, due to the unknowns of weather on the road trip & once on the water its conditions in the Lynn Canal, Icy strait & Cross Sound areas, but hope to make it there before at least June 10th. I realize, that's still very early for anyone coming from the south via Puget Sound or Prince Rupert, though any that do so would sure be welcome. For those with the experience necessary & inclination for a unique & challenging road trip might consider joining the Discovery & us as we make our way from Skagway to Pelican & perhaps beyond.

Jay
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update, due to the priority of us attending our eldest granddaughters high school graduation, we won't be leaving Wyoming until June 6th with plans of the Discovery Crew & us being in Skagway about the 10th of June & the Pelican area 10 or so days later. Perhaps this later date will make it possible for others to join us there or along the way & possibly go on the outside down to Sitka. Our initial route will be From Skagway, Haines, Hoonah, Elfin Cove to Pelican with some side exploring along the way.

I will turn on the SPOT tracking when we leave Wyoming on June 6. This is the link, which is also in my posting signature. http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0YP5K6H6zgVCOfu7gFU3oSPnAR1SlZggM

Jay
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are excited and busy getting ready for the trip. I have been prepping the boat, serviced the motors and lower units, including new impellers and zincs. New tires and I reworked the elec/hydraulic brakes. A new Manson 25# anchor. I replaced the old solar panels (90 W) with two Renogy 100 W panels. I have Hypervent for the berth, and I installed a USB charging strip for all the electronic toys.

I need to look at the oil in the oil bath hubs. I need to get the Honda 2000i out and service it. Also the inflatable and Honda 2 HP need a look at.

We will be fishing, crabbing and shrimping on this cruise and I still need to go through that gear.

I bought a pair of Fujinon 14 X 40 image stabilized glasses last year for Christmas and am looking forward to using them.

So much still to do, and only one month left before we leave for Skagway.

We have a Delorme InReach and I'll post a link so you can all follow along on our location.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Jeff and Julie

City/Region: Juneau, AK
Vessel Name: Atka
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Pelican Reply with quote

Wish we could meet up with you all in Pelican. Haven't ventured out that far but would really like to. Still working on the anchor setup for our boat.
We have been having the most incredible weather up here for several weeks. I really hope it holds for this summer!!
Julie
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julie, I wish you could too. It would be great if you guys could still make it happen.

We have friends from Montana who launched from Skagway in early May & have been really enjoying your wonderful weather & are fishing in the Pelican area now, though with this being their first cruise in these waters, I doubt they know just how good it really is. It sure is the opposite of what we had in 2012 & like you hope it continues. I have been watching the sea conditions on the outside & where it stayed for the majority of May 2012 between 12 & 24 feet, this years it's been more between 5 & 12 feet, with more days ok to be out there than not.

We leave home this coming Saturday & are sure excited about another adventure this time shared with Brent & Dixie & their Discovery. The Hunkydory is all waxed up with road protection on & loaded with only minor things to do to go.

Jay
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have done this right this link should show our Delorme InReach position for the summer Alaska trip. https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson

I won't turn on the tracking until we actually begin the trip. We leave home on 6/5/15 and have a few days drive to get to Skagway, where we launch.

We will meet Jay and JoLee (Hunkydory) on 6/6 in Idaho, and travel together to Skagway. It's 2551 miles one way for us to Skagway.
doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Inside Passage Trip Reply with quote

I can't think of anyone else I would feel more comfortable doing this trip with than Jay and Jolee. They have gone to places most people with a lifetime of S.E. Ak boating haven't. They can do it because of their prudence, the size of their craft and the extensive knowledge they have earned putting around up here. I know for us, time is often a limiting factor since we both still work full time in our respective businesses. The ability to have time for travel and time for waiting out the weather in safety is what makes cruising possible. Pelican is often doable for us and can be a very mellow and pleasant trip out of Juneau but not something we get to do often, given time and weather constraints. We hope that we will be able to meet up with some of you when you are up this way. I would like to offer up our help, should anyone need it. Jay and Jollie have our contact info and they have my ok to share that with you so you have a contact up here should you need it. The FedX boys know where we are too, should you need to have a shipping address for parts etc.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent, fantastic maps, especially aerial, on the InReach. Also the messages, to someone who can post them on The C Brat site is a great feature.

I hope that Steve and Coleen, can get the time to run over to Pelican--I am sure that a "vacation" is well deserved. They are another really great couple, who we had the pleasure to meet and spend some time with a few years ago.

We are all looking forward to "sharing" the venture! Wish we were there!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: