The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Post in progress?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Site Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Post in progress? Reply with quote

I have noticed over the years that someone will post a question and multiple helpful people will respond at the same time and duplicate eachothers efforts.

It would be great if possible, to have a message at the bottom of a thread that would flash or otherwise indicate that another user had a "post a reply" window open for that thread so one could (optional) wait for that reply before choosing to post themselves.

No need for multiple folks to give the same answer in shotgun fashion.

Although I am an IT professional, I am not a code writer so I am not sure how feasible this is within the site architecture. Your willingness to simply get this far in my message is already appreciated.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I don't know about the technology involved, this happens on all forms I have been on. We are not doing code of a secure transaction, but sharing thoughts--and it is not critical. Many times I might start a post, then be distracted by a phone call, a wifely chore, or even a meal, and then come back to finish the post.

I suppose that one might go back and re-read all of the posts which are then on the board. However, even during this times, there will be another post. This just happened to me with a post from Greg--and I went back and edited the reply I had just made to reflect Greg's post about wire size on the highjacked thread about moving batteries.

The diversity of replies is frequently helpful, because different posters look at the question from a different prospective.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL

Last edited by thataway on Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bob. While there may be some similar replies, I always find the diversity of replies outweighs those of similar content. Also, while I'm guilty, like a few others, of starting a new thread on a subject that may have been beaten severely in several past threads, sometimes it's just much easier to start a new thread to get new and current information. (Although reviewing past threads can also be helpful.) Colby
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I went back and edited the reply I had just made to reflect Greg's post about wire size on the highjacked thread about moving batteries.

Well now I'm hijacking this thread! But... I sure hope my asking the wiring questions on the "moving batteries" thread was not hijacking. If so, how embarrassing Embarassed Is it hijacking because someone else started the thread, even if I'm asking things on the same topic? I was thinking the opposite - that it would be good to tack onto a thread with the same subject vs. starting a new one. I KNOW asking this here is a hijack, but don't really want to start another thread to clarify this meta question. Maybe you aren't even referring to me (?).

ON topic: There are some forums on which I post wherein when I go to "submit" a message pops up saying "comments have been added to the thread since you started this reply, would you like to review them?" -- so I guess it is possible. But it may be overly fancy/complicated to implement, I don't know.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That feature would be nice for me especially because I am usually very wrong with my quick answers or comments. We were looking into a software upgrade a while back but the move would be cumbersome and we never got around to it. The biggest holdup for Bill has been me - I am getting too old and lazy to learn new stuff so I keep feeding him reasons to leave things be. One of these days...

As for hijacking threads or going off topic, you all know how strict we are with those rules. It looks like this weekend might be my first ocean salmon trip out of the Columbia River. Anyone been fishing off the CR or Westport yet? I guess they are getting a few small coho and some nice chinook out there the last few days.

Aurelia

Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diversity of replies is a good point but I think we would still get most of it, just a little slower as each person reads and puts in there viewpoint. I just thought it would be a neat feature if feasible to add. Thanks and good luck out there with the Salmon!
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, a good hijack requires participation of others Laughing so.... I was out of Westport a few weeks back (when we tried to kill ourselves). Fishing was so-so but the Westport charter reports indicate it's picked up a good bit. I was at Neah Bay last weekend and things we a bit slow. We got 3 chinook on Sat. all in the strait as offshore was a bit rough. Nothing too big, a 6.5, a 7 and a 13. On Sunday we fished Swiftsure for a few hours in the AM. Got one around 10lbs but had to leave early. 'Twas a bit rough anyway.This weekend I'll be back out there. Wind, weather and swells look much better and the tide change is shallow. We might hit the Canadian side for hali.

On yet another topic, I understand there's a group doing a test run this weekend out of Ilwaco for tuna. I think we'll have a good tuna season this year due to the predicted El Nino. Might even have a chance at some exotics - yellow fin tuna, yellow tail, dorado etc. I'll have my boat in Westport for the months of Sept. and Oct. Maybe you'll want to come with sometime and give the tuna thing a try?

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Post in progress? Reply with quote

For me I think the lack of rigid structure makes for a fun forum. If multiple like minded replies are not welcomed why not send a PM to couple different people. No new technology required. I need to send a donation to the site providers. All this free stuff is Jamaican me crazy. Idea
D.D.

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh...you guys are lame at thread hijacking.

Dana and I were crawling all over Nordic Tugs last weekend.

DuckDogTitus

C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the vbulletin forum software has a message that comes up and says "someone has replied to this thread since you last saw it" if someone happens to reply while you are in 'reply' mode yourself. it lets you see updates real time.

I dont know if phpbb offers anything like that or not. its been a good 8 years or so since I was heavily into my own forums.

with that said, reading multiple replies that are similar in nature never really bothered me. I'm just here for the pictures anyways. Beer Mr. Green

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, you really started something Laughing That's why I love this place Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like multiple replies! I would not be deterred even if I knew someone else was replying at the same time!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag wrote:

Well how about the world cup? USA will play again on Sunday in a potentially tough game against Portugal.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
Da Nag wrote:

Well how about the world cup? USA will play again on Sunday in a potentially tough game against Portugal.

There is a large Shigella outbreak in central Indiana and the new SH HX851 radio is great and why are the number of great white sharks increasing in the ocean off the eastern US and Canada after years of decline? If you are hopeful, are you then an optimist?

Lastly the summer solstice is Saturday at 6:51AM ET

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had my usual oatmeal all week long. Bums me out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Site Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: