Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scoutrk

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Scout
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Wallas 1300 Heater Installation Reply with quote

Subject: Wallas 1300 Heater Installation

I just bought a Wallas 1300 kerosene heater and I am pondering where to install it? I think it will fit in the storage space underneath the galley surface area. I don't have an alcohol stove in the galley, I cook on a propane camping stove. Has anyone had any experience with this heater?

360-455-1843
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of our Wallas 1300 installation:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album338&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

It's on the forward end of the galley beneath the sink. We have had it a few years now and like it very well.

Rob
digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed 2 1300 wallas heaters in 2 different cruisers. Check out Snoopy-C album where it is installed right behind the alcohol stove.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did an installation this winter of the 1300. Works really well. Might be slightly underpowered for winter boating in the northwest but it works and is trouble free. One suggestion I would make is if you put it under the galley, take out the sink first. That will save a lot of pain and frustration. You can do the complete install that way standing up, rather than laying down, looking up and contorted. Also, get the furnace as absolutely high on the wall as you can, so the black recycle fuel tube has gravity fall to the tank. I didn't quite make it so had to buy the alternate, larger tank. It is lower. And you won't believe what they charge for those tanks. I am also surprised how much good kerosene costs. Usually $10 a gallon for clean heat or something similar. I have found a petroleum products distributor here in salem that has 5 gallon buckets for $26 so I will be buying it there from now on. After doing the install, in retrospect I kind of like Diggers' install as well, or even better. I think that would move the air better than mine with the ducting hose.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOW you tell me, remove the sink. God I wish I would have thought of that, it would have saved my back being screwed up for a week or more! Confused

You might check out my installation on Dora~Jean, a CD25, see my photo album. I really like the location of mine, it doesn't take up any room that I would have used. I routed the output ducting in between the stove and sink, turned out to be a perfect fit. So far it runs flawlessly, ran it every morning and evening while on the San Francisco Delta trip last week, sometimes for hours (hey, it was COOL for us SoCal people...be nice).

My install photos are located here (forgot how to make a hyperlink):
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album208&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallas 1300 by searun19, on Flickr

I finished my installation of the Wallas 1300 yesterday. This is in my 16 Cruiser. SWEET!

Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Robbi....I'm thinking that your diesel heat is a "first" on a 16' ....that should keep you very warm.
C-Brat #16
macmac

City/Region: Seattle
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: 1300 burns kerosene! Reply with quote

PLEASE do not put diesel in your Wallas 1300! It burns 1-K kerosene very well, diesel, not at all well. Another point: diesel #1 and kerosene are NOT the same thing.

Thanks.

Doug at Scan Marine
NORO LIM

C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of installing a Wallas 1300 in our 23 Venture. We do a lot of winter boating in addition to trips up the coast to places even damper and cooler than Puget Sound. I decided our aging bones deserve a little more warmth.

I've been thinking about this project for months. I always imagined a heater hidden behind the table when it's folded down, because that's a space that really doesn't get used for anything and it's a good spot for dispersing heat throughout the cabin. The problem is clearance. I made a wooden mock-up of a Wallas 1300, Then, with a lot of clamping, taping and shimming, I moved it around while putting the table up and down, and sliding the passenger seat forward and back. It took me a long time to convince myself it would work. I bit the bullet at the Boat Show sale, and there's no turning back now!

It really looks like it's going to work. Here are more pictures.
Wallas 1300 Installation

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, very interesting to see a "new" location! All the annotated photos of your mockups and thought process are great. I stow things in that area that I wouldn't want to give up having to hand there, so I would probably install one under galley cabinet (outboard), but it's great to have another option shown. Very cool Thumbs Up

(That said, I haven't even made my mind which heater/type/fuel to install yet, so... who knows what I'll end up doing.)
NORO LIM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I cut a hole in the floor for the fuel lines. The tank will sit in the storage area below the floor. Another tight fit to worry about. (I'll post some more photos eventually - the funny looking pipe thingy in the picture is a experimental model of a fuel line holder assembly gadget gizmo.) Because the stove is mounted relatively low in the boat (which is a good thing for efficiency of heat distribution), there is not room below it for the standard small upright fuel tank. It's important that the fuel return line runs continuously downhill from the heater to the tank, so I'm having to use the larger, horizontal tank. I'm more upset about the loss of storage space from the tank than from the heater. . . . So I'm starting on another project - a hatch in the V-berth. It's all fun.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We added one to our 19 this winter as well and it is working out very well. There are pics in our album of where we installed it and here is a recent response so some questions about it.

We looked all the options and I finally talked to a local installer who is a friend and he recommended the 1300 for our use. He had installed many over the years and the feedback from owners he knows was very good unless they put one in too large a boat or a boat that was small but hard to ventilate. We had neither of those issues with the C-dory.

The installation options were better, the noise was lowest which is important because we can't get very far from it on such a small boat, and the fuel/power draw was minimal. We wanted to be able to run it overnight as needed in the cold months but mainly eves and morns as you would use it. The way our boat is setup, we actually use it to heat the small cabin of the 19 and the entire canvas enclosed cockpit and it still drives us out of there with the heat output. The single speed, on-off nature of it is actually nice because there is nothing to fiddle with and the heat is easy to balance with the center window which we like to have open anyway, and another cracked window of choice. It uses so little fuel and power 0.13 l/h,0.4 A that we don't turn it off and on, instead, we leave it on more, and just use the windows to moderate if necessary. It has run flawlessly so far for about 30 hours for us and I would install the same again at this point.

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
NORO LIM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. It looks like a super efficient layout. That's about as clean and direct an installation as you could have! Glad the heater is working for you.

We just returned from the first real test of our 1300, - an Olympia to Petersburg Inside Passage round trip. I have to say it was just great. Made my wife very happy. (Me too.)

I agree completely about the simplicity of operation with the one speed fan and the on or off only controls. And you're right, it really burns very little fuel. We ran ours a lot. It was on every day for at least an hour or so, and sometimes much longer. I had figured on buying more fuel along the way, but actually came home with some left from my original load of about 4 gallons. (We did burn another gallon in our Wallas cook-top stove, too, and that obviously also provided some heat.) We didn't face any really cold weather, but it was typically in the low to mid 40's at night, and high 50's to low 60's in the day. The current draw is small enough that I didn't worry about just flipping the switch on before I got out of bed in the morning. I monitored the battery voltage closely before (and after) starting the heater the first few mornings after a night at anchor, but quickly realized that wasn't necessary.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see some additions to this thread, as "decide on heating plan" is on my list. I have a workable arrangement with a Coleman Blackcat, but it's only temporary, and just meant to carry me along until I have enough boat time in to make a better choice.

The 1300 is one of my four contenders, so I'm always on the lookout for input on it, especially on our specific boats. I did hear from Wallas that they are going to be discontinuing it, so I may decide to get one sooner rather than later even if I don't install it immediately. They did say this won't be right away, so no mad rush (and if you are interested in one, do check with them as my info may be incorrect, may have changed, etc.) I don't know if they will be coming out with a newer small/simple stove - I didn't get the feeling they would, but don't know for sure.

Meanwhile, glad to read more about the 1300 Thumbs Up

NORO LIM: Did you ever notice any kerosene (or fuel type) odor while using the stove? I know propane smell (of which there is very little) won't bother me, but it's one concern on a kero or diesel stove (on the other hand, there are some big advantages to using kero, so it's still on my list).

Sunbeam
NORO LIM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:

NORO LIM: Did you ever notice any kerosene (or fuel type) odor while using the stove? I know propane smell (of which there is very little) won't bother me, but it's one concern on a kero or diesel stove (on the other hand, there are some big advantages to using kero, so it's still on my list).

Sunbeam

ANY odor? Not really. I suppose a little once in a while - right at startup, if the wind is right I may get a whiff from the exhaust? I may not have the most finely tuned olfactory system on the planet, but it is a zero issue for me. My wife smells better than I do (no need to clarify the syntax - it's true either way), and she has never complained ( - here clarity is definitely called for - she's never complained about the fuel's smell).

I have used Klean Heat exclusively for 8 years in both the stove and now the heater. Scan Marine says they cannot recommend Klean Heat as a substitute for Kerosene - not because they think there is anything wrong with it, but because the makers of Klean Heat will not disclose what's in it. Scan does say that they know of other customers like me who have had good luck with Klean Heat. (I have never had a single problem with either of my Wallas products.) Just using the nose-to-the-jug test, I find Klean Heat less offensive than K-1. It's certainly not what I would call "odorless" in it's liquid state, but it does seem to burn without much smell at all.

Senses of smell vary widely. I'd recommend finding a boat with a 1300 and taking it out for a test heat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: