CDory 22 won't plane with Yamaha 90HP 4-stroke motor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Dog

City/Region: Ocean Springs
State or Province: MS
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Dog
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: CDory 22 won't plane with Yamaha 90HP 4-stroke motor Reply with quote

I am a new C-Dory owner, but not new to boating. In March, I bought a 2003 22' CDory Cruiser with a 2011 Yamaha 90HP 4-stroke motor. Motor is still under warranty and, according to our mechanic, had only 20 hours on it when we got it. Had to put motor in shop so mechanic could verify motor condition so we could transfer warranty to me. Everything checked out on motor as great condition. But, I have fought one problem after another since then. I discovered the last owner did not maintain boat and that the gas tank was full of dirt and debris. So fuel lines were all fouled. I exchanged all lines between tank and motor, cleaned injectors, changed all filters (oil and fuel), and finally got motor running great - for 1 day. With just me and the wife, got up on plane and was running mid 20s and up to 30 with no problem. Next day, with full load, boat would not plane. I figured we were just overloaded and didn't worry too much. The following day, the boat still would not plane with just wife, me and ice chest (which I put in the front of the boat to try to plane). Ice chest, that is - not wife. I run the boat in the Mississippi Sound and both days there was very, very light chop. The prop is 13.4 X 15 which sounds like what it should be from reading other posts. Anybody have any ideas why I can't get the boat on plane?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet on fuel problems. Hopefully it is just fuel filter. Also hopefully you put in a Racor filter.

What is going to have to happen, is that the fuel tanks are going to have to be cleaned. Unfortunately, with ethanol laced gasoline, there is material which precipitates in the bottom of the tank. Sludge, Varnish, algae etc all can be involved. If the owner did not maintain, he most likely did not put in fuel stabilizer and conditioners.

I believe the mechanic about the engine--great engine--but with dirty fuel, you have plugged up the filter. If you have a primary outside the engine filter, you can get it back up and running now with a new filter cartridge. With your history, I might even consider two Racor filters--one 10 and one 2 micron--normally a 10 micron filter is what is necessary for our boats. (one might argue for 30 and 10, to get the heavier stuff)--there is also the possibility of putting a screen mesh filter in before the Racor. This gets the very gross contaminates.

You need to empty the tanks of fuel--I would run it thru a filter, and you should be able to save the gas. Then have the tanks cleaned.

Here is one plan for cleaning built in plastic tanks from:

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4794946_cleaning-inside-plastic-gas-tank.html

"Integral tanks are the kind that can't be removed from an engine, or at least removed without the use a fully equipped automotive repair garage. To empty, all the gas the tank contains must be siphoned out. It's normal for a small amount to remain in the bottom. You will need a strong magnet on a pole, a handful of iron or steel ball bearings (screws and nuts will work), a tank of compressed air with a hand-held spray gun and a gallon of rubbing alcohol. The rubbing alcohol and the ball bearings should be thrown in the tank and agitated with the compressed air gun. Since you can't shake the tank, you have to shake its contents. This should scour the interior well enough. Use the magnet to retrieve the metal ball bearings, and then siphon out the alcohol. A small amount of alcohol will remain inside, but it mixes well with gas and the engine should have no trouble burning through it."

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4794946_cleaning-inside-plastic-gas-tank.html#ixzz33znqjszh

If this does not get it clean, then there are other solvents, such as in carburetor cleaners, lacquer cleaner. All of these items are highly inflammable, and you may want to hire a professional

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
C-Dog

City/Region: Ocean Springs
State or Province: MS
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dog
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the reply. I have read and enjoyed many of your posts on C-Brats. Maybe it IS a fuel problem still, but I am not sure. After posting I remembered that I had not talked about cleaning the tanks. I did clean the tank and think I have it clean, although I did not use quite as thorough a method as you described. The tank appeared to be very clean when I finished. Only 1 fuel tank is being used. I replaced the Racor water separator as well as all of the fuel filters. I did not even try to save the fuel that was in the tank but replaced it with new non-ethanol gas. I have been using the old gas, after filtering it, in my lawn mower.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have done a pretty thorough job with the tanks/lines/filter. And from the other thread, prop sounds like a best candidate to me, and I would put on a different prop first thing (it's not difficult). However, that said, if the prop is not the issue, you could try running from a portable tank or jerry can, thus eliminating your tank(s) from the equation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Propellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: