The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

fishfinder for halibut
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trpsurf

City/Region: Pasadena
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Oski
Photos: C-Pelican
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really interesting thread. Steve from Sounder Solutions posed some great feedback. A guy on my dock has Raymarine CHIRP and is really happy with it.

On my Tomcat I have two units- A Raymarine E80 with a 1KW transducer and a Hummingbird 1197c, with Side Imagining. I LOVE the Hummingbird unit and the side imagining technology is absolutely amazing. On the first trip out of the harbor I spotted 3 different wreck, all of which looked like they were in 3D on the screen. The only drawback is that it is only good up to about 180 feet. I quite a bit of diving and hoopnetting for lobster, so it is great to use this feature to find small spots of structure.

Good Luck!

Tim
24' Tomcat
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the Garmin is the easiest to use (caveat, I have not used the new RayMarine Dragonfly). Garmin support is excellent (although sometimes you get good and bad support from any of the manufactures.) I used other sounders--like Furuno, which I have always felt was the best--until recently. In the last few years, Garmin has made huge advances in their depth finders. Is it any better? I think that they are all good now, and would there is all sorts of discussion about which down scan or CHIRP unit is "best". Since Steve uses and teaches on all of the sounders, take his advice.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Gratitude

City/Region: Costa Mesa
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1992
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Pelican
Photos: C Pelican
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once attended a Fish Finder Seminar by a local fishing legend, Mark Wisch, here in S. CA. He indicated that with Furuno Units is is possible to change the fish marking feature to white, and then bottom zoom. As I recall, bottom will still show up red, and the fish should be shown in white. Further, he indicated that several of the well known Halibut Fisherfolk successfully use this method to target Halibut. I have not tried it yet. However, you might give it a try.

Tight Lines,
Gratitude (Jim)

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kushtaka wrote:
I realize that targeting halibut on the bottom is a difficult job for a sonar. Nevertheless, that's what I'm after, so...

There are new tools beyond my current sonar that will do this better than what I now have (which is pitiful). Which of these tools will be the most helpful?

Why avoid humminbird? I have an 899 at work, and it is really impressive, especially compared to the lcd nightmare that now tells me almost nothing.

Have you used a humminbird sidescan to target halibut and had poor results? Do you have any experiences you would like to share?

Sorry, I guess I'd also like to know why to pursue or avoid a particular unit, and some discussion of pros/cons for the application I have described.

I have been trying to use a 898C-SI for 3yrs now, if fresh water is all you will ever fish & less than 100 ft. then the hummingbird is ok. The down image or sidescan is not worth a shit below 100' in cook inlet saltwater, north gulf coast saltwater, resurrection bay saltwater or pws saltwater. Have fun!!
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gratitude,
Use your white marker for the darkest red color (the bottom). Bottom fish including halibut will show up as a slightly less red color (on 16 shade color monitor, not sure on the 8 shade) laying against the white bottom.
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ this sounds like the thing that I'm trying to do! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Screenshots??

Minor derail:

Ill post more later, but I've now tried the hummingbird 360 sonar, and it's cool, but, meh. It's just a sidescan image from a rotating transducer, rendered in a circle. The info you get is identical to the info you get with sidescan, but it's cool to point it at one spot and watch for awhile if fish are there. I'm not sure it's a vastly more effective tool though. I will definitely help me for my application at work, but if I were going to buy for myself, I don't think I'd spend money on panning sidescan at all, but higher res, bigger screen, better ducer, etc. my $0.02.

End derail.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How effective is the 360 in showing what is ahead? I can see for a bass fisherman who is casting--that the "usual" side scan does not show structure until you are abeam or past the point, and you missed the fish, unless you cast back, and to the side.
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: 360 sonar Reply with quote

It is very effective for looking ahead and can be constrained to look ONLY ahead, or aside, or behind…

It's really cool for what I'm doing at work, but hasn't found me a lot of flatfish. I haven't been able to really use it for that very much though.

In terms of our applications at work, I think the spotlight would be a better tool, but it's essentially the same thing. Being able to have the scanning sonar (albeit manual) plus the ability to project waypoints on your scan, as well as storing scans on your plotter would make it easier for me to make use of the info. However, the 360 sonar is super cool. It works VERY well, and in shallower applications is about the neatest think out there. In terms of practicality, the info you get is the same as side scan, you can just point it wherever you want.
thataway

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about specifics on the 360/ How far ahead can you reliably determine depths? What about the ratio between water depth and sight ahead?

If you are in 10 feet of water, how far ahead are you reliably able to see structure, bottom and bottom depth?

Thanks
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to chime in with this tidbit. I have heard over and over that the raymarine is a hard system to use. Though I find it easy to use I can understand that the system could be harder to use then something you are familiar with. At the boat show this year I spent some time on the new Raymarine units. I can say that they have completely revamped the screens and menus. They hired a phone app designer to redo all the menus. I bring this up because I no longer believe that menu "ease of use" is any longer a reason not to buy a Raymarine sounder.
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: more 360 Reply with quote

Well Bob. Reliably is a bit tricky. See, I've marked a lot of rocks and hazards with the 360 that were to be avoided. I put my gear in place and it didn't hit any hazards. BUT, that doesn't really mean that I marked all the hazards properly.

The 360 sonar can't display depth. That's an issue. But if you also have the regular transduce you have depth directly under the boat. you can then infer the depth in front of you. I'll say that it's difficult to see when you have shallow water in front that gets deeper beyond. You cant' see the deeper section, because of the "shadow." But you can infer and see contours pretty well. So, while it does not display depth data out in front of you like a lot of true forward looking sonar, you can do a lot with the info you have.

BUT, it's clearly made to see the bottom well for fishing, not for navigating. I think that the trackback and the ability to project waypoints onto your scan (lowrance spotlight) it would be easier to verify the accuracy, and probably be a better tool for me.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a difference in needs in the PNW, AK etc--where there are generally steep drop offs, and hazards like rocks, snags etc. Vs. the South and East of the US, where there are long stretches of 9 to 10 foot ICW, with shoals in the passes, or where river's "T" into the waterway systems. One of the problems also is keeping in the center of the waterway, because of side currents (set--bearing current is taking-- and drift--magnitude of current). Where if you are looking forward, you seem to be in the waterway, but the current has taken you out of the main channel--and the warning may be a low depth, on the sounder, (but with the sounder aft, may not be enough warning)--and then the boat grounding or at least throwing sand/gravel on the hull.

The goal would be to see the shoaling ahead--which is a gradual decrease in depth, rather than a desecrate obstacle. Most forward looking sounders/scanners do not do well in this type of scenario--and wondered if the 360 can differentiate between the channel, vs gradual shoaling as you drift out of the channel.

Thanks.
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big differences in the two areas. I'm lucky to have been in both, and e Great Lakes extensively. Understanding your application, I am not sure it would work well for you because the image deteriorates quickly at any speed. When we are going about 3kt we can still se a usable image. Quality deteriorates quickly after than even in shallow water. It is said to be okay to 7mph, but it hasn't worked that well for me at those speeds. Current is not an issue, only speed over ground.

If you were to stop and deploy the 360 periodically to check shoals when you weren't sure, it would be pretty great. If you wanted to watch as you motored at any efficient cruise speed (displacement or step) you wouldn't be happy with the performance.

One spot where it does better than forward looking sonar is that it is not constrained in how far forward it can see by how deep it is. If its shallow it can still look out in any direction 50' or more (I've only had it set to look close, but it can go farther, I just can't comment on its effectiveness at range) just fine, even if it's only a few feet deep.

We used it looking about 20-40' from the boat, mostly, in about 10' of water. It did well in tests at 3' as well.

The deeper you set the transducer the better it sees, and it's adjustable, but it can easily get down below your motor skeg, so be careful with it in the really shallow stuff.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, That is helpful!

Regards

Bob
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're welcome. Sorry for my sloppy typing. iPad.

Anyway, One thing I might mention is that I have only ever used the 360 on a jet boat (no lower unit beneath the hull). I've seen others comment on it needing to be lowered below the prop, which is why I issued the earlier warning. I used it in 3' of water, but the transducer was only about 6" below my hull. If I had a prop down there I'd have had it dangerously close to the bottom, and at risk.

Further, I don't believe that the problem with the image at speed comes from anything but transducer movement and aeration. I believe that if one were to build this transduce into a through hull it would work fine at speed. I also may have hinted that the only consequence of using the unit at planing cruise speed (i.e. ~ 20 kt.) was poor image. Actually, you would probably destroy the transducer instantly, especially if it were deployed below your prop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: