View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake B

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: PLUS 3
Photos: PLUS 3
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: anyone ever use this system? Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alnxr9itfVk&feature=youtu.be

was wondering if anyone has ever used this way to anchor before? until we go windlass this is they way I am leaning to keep from going to the bow all the time. my main question is even with the quick release wouldn't you still bee hooked by the bow? and anyone have any pictures of there set ups as I would be interested in seeing how it is fully rigged but cannot seem to find a better video than this.
smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Looks great, BUT....... Reply with quote

I've watched the video 5 times now and I'm still not sure I understand the rig. Seems to me the anchor line must run through the one-way pulley forward of the steel ring, and the one-way pulley would also be attached to the buoy by a short length of line. Then when the anchor is broken out it'll be lifted by the forward motion of the boat until the chain hits the one-way pulley.

Also, I tried Google for "one-way pulley" and didn't see one similar to the one in the video. Anyone know the brand and name of this device, or where it could be bought?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fair number of fisherman on The Hull Truth use this system--or a modification there of. The snap shackle shown is known as a "spinaker" shackle, and it opens up fully, to avoid fouling.

You are more likely to find this pulley under "ratchet", "cam" or "rescue Pulley". I agree the video is confusing--many folks do not use a "one way pulley", but use the ball and ring to pull the anchor out, then they just hand over hand it up to the boat. The one way pulley, just keeps the anchor and chain from going back down to the bottom and less depth to bring it up from.

However, a couple of years ago, one of the guys father's leg got caught in the line as they were pulling the anchor--and he went overboard, and was killed. So there is some risk with this system…..The son took the blame because he did not stop the boat fast enough-- pretty bought situation.

This is really only for day time type of anchoring--too many issues for an overnight, unattended, go to sleep type of anchoring.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've anchored with the buoy ring system hundreds of times for halibut fishing when we lived in Alaska. We didn't use a pulley, just the ring and buoy. It is simple, safe, and effortless. You have to pay attention no matter how you anchor.

To retrieve, we simply drove forward keeping the line at an angle from the side of the boat (always on the stbd side so I could see the line) and drove in a gradual right turn until the anchor caught the ring. Then stop the boat and easily pull the line in because the anchor is caught in the ring. The buoy floats the weight of the anchor. Super simple.

Rick

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
Jake B

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too got confused with the video a little. the main thing i wanted to do was anchor from the cockpit and after reading on stern anchor pulling more I think I am just going to run a 1/2" rope from the bow cleat back to the cockpit tie off to the stern cleat with a carabiner and then attach another carabiner to the end of anchor rope. attach the two and that will keep me on the deck to release and end up with a bow anchor and bow retrieve when its time to free it up. thanks for all the input. I have anchored drift boats and open boats this is the first year trying to anchor a cabin boat that has limited bow access
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to anchor that way (and be sure and know the rating of Carabiners--many are low SWL.) then have a second rope a little longer than the line to the bow, plus the distance from the bow to the stern. That will allow you to bring the rode back to the stern for manual retrieval of the anchor.

Anchoring by the stern, can be dangerous--but only in certain circumstances. There are many places where it is the norm to anchor both bow and stern. Anchoring bow and stern keeps the bow into waves coming into an anchorage. It prevents the boat from swinging in an arc, and will allow many more boats in a given area. For example one of the clubs has a cove at Catalina Island where you can literally walk from boat to boat on a holiday weekend. Almost like rafting up.

The worry about stern anchoring is that waves will come from the stern and swamp the boat--this can be both wind driven waves or wakes.
Jake B

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info i will make sure and check the strength of the clips. is there a better way to attach them? shackle?

also I only plan to bow anchor at this time just doing so from the cockpit.
hambone

City/Region: Klamath Falls/Brookings OR.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This system has been around for many years.
http://ezmarine.com/all_ez_marine_products_made_in_u.htm

I have it and have used it many many times without incident. A couple of differences I see from the way he has it set up. I always anchor off the bow as he has but don't run a rope to the stern for quick release. Great if you don't have help on the boat to release the bow tie.

As you noticed his system release runs through the rope. Good system but since it's invention there is a new and improved product that clips on to the rope after you have the anchor down and in place so you don't have to fight the release and buoy. Cost about the same and is really the best way to go. Sorry that I don't have link to show it to you but I'm confident you can Google it.

SEAWOLF 2008 22' TWIN HONDA 50s CRUISER
Jake B

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks and yes the retrieval system we have is the type that clips on after the anchor is deployed not like the one shown that you have to pay all the line through.
hambone

City/Region: Klamath Falls/Brookings OR.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I couldn't stand leaving everyone hanging so I looked it up for you. Hope this helps.
http://www.leelockas.com/orval.html
Jake B

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the link you posted is the same locking device we have and clips on at the end
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the pull the buoy system that slips down the line on a ring or snap and pulls the anchor always from the bow. If the anchor hangs up the boat will start going in a circle and eventually it comes loose.

I would NEVER...NEVER pull anything from a stern cleat. If the anchor hung up and you were slow on the throttle the boat will be pulled down on the stern filling it quickly with very cold water and your day would be totally ruined.

I have pulled as I described probably 750 times in 30 yrs in the Cook Inlet and have never had a problem. Water depth anywhere from 75 to 160' deep and 600' of line out.

Too many boats have been pulled under here and I am not a genius but I am also not a slow learner.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
Jake B

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jack do you go up to the bow to deploy the anchor?
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do. My boat has a walk-around cabin so getting to the bow is safe and simple. That is why I bought that boat. I am getting too old (74) and clumsy to be scooting out on the deck around the cabin on the gunnel.

When I still had my 22' CD I handled the anchor and line from the back but ALWAYS pulled from the bow.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The style in the Video is a river type of anchor--with little chain. If this much speed and HP were required to pull the anchor I can see an objection to pulling from the stern. I have pulled anchors from the stern by slowly pulling with minimal HP, pretty much the same way you break an anchor out by the bow. My understanding is that Jake wants to avoid going forward on the boat to get his anchor back into the cockpit. (Of course there is always opening the forward hatch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: