The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Rule replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katkt

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Katie Kat
Photos: Katie Kat
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Rule replacement Reply with quote

I've put the Katie Kat up for sale, and I'm going to be replacing the bilge pumps and float switches.
The easiest, is just to replace whats there.

The Port side was a no go. The switch was definitely bad, I haven't tested the pump to see if it'd work via a bench test. The Starboard kicked on, but not off. I suspect the float switch on that side as well.

Since I'm standing on my head anyway. I thought I'd replace both sides with new stuff. Pumps, and switches.
Hence my question.....
I noticed while shopping, that the 1100, seems to be available with an internal automated switch?, as well as just the pump, with a separate switch needed, like I have now. If this auto pump with an internal switch is a direct replacement, and would drop right into the existing strainer basket, This looks like a better idea(yes?).

Anyhoo, I was just wondering if there was a consensus amongst the Brats, as to whats the best solution.

Thanks in advance.
Gordon
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One detail you might check for before going with an automatic pump: Many of them will "cycle on" every X minutes to "look" for water (whether or not it is needed). I find this undesirable a few reasons: One is that it drives me nuts if I'm trying to sleep. Two is that I want to know, when I hear the bilge pump kick on, that it means something (and without a stuffing box, the pump rarely does actually need to run). Three is that it is an unnecessary electrical draw and can thus draw down batteries if not on shore power.

The biggest thing is I just can't stand listening to them.

That said, there are some "one piece" pump/switch combos that are not automatic, so it's not always one and the same.
katkt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vote for the status quo. Thanks Sunbeam.
I only run the pumps, if I've accumulated water in the bilge from condenstate, rain, or washing the boat....and adding enough water to make sure they work. When they work fine(which has been up until now), I'd hit the switch, and leave it on for a bit, and turn it off. It works the best.
I didn't know if there was a newer better idea that'd come along. Seemed silly not to upgrade while I was going to the trouble, if there was.
thataway

C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal feeling is to stick with the status quo. Sunbeam's point is important. I also have looked at the various switches, water sensors recently-and I don't see anything which is truly revolutionary on the horizon. As you point out access in the Tom Cat is very difficult, and a more complex system will have maintenance problems.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
katkt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a plan then, I'll get them ordered.
I've been tinkering on motorcycles more lately then the boat, does anybody have a favorite go to place for the Rules, switches, and a set of Racors, all in one stop?
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Sunbeam's point - My boat came with the 1100 auto Rule that cycles on every 2.5 minutes to check for water. It is surprisingly loud and unnerving at night when all else is quiet. I installed a second pump - Rule 1500 with old style float switch. Then rewired them so that both are on during the day but at night only the 1500 is powered.

Ahhhhh, much better!! Smile

Regards, Rob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: